• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Has anyone hit Blue Mountain yet this season?

tnt1234

Skied Elk (Sun) and Blue (Mon) MLK weekend both weren't insanely packed. Elk got skied off very early and lots of ice. LEft around 2 and watched the FBall games with my son at the hotel. Morning was easy on an off front two lifts but stayed away from them btwn 11-1. Blue ski'd really nicely till 2'sh then lots of ice patches. Called it a weekend around 3.

Any news on either Epic or Ikon purchasing either Elk or Blue? ... top two in my neck of the woods IMHO. I'd bite on one of those passes, would schedule all my east coast sking arnd it and would finally get out west

With Jackson Frost under their belt, they would be a PA power house if they make this happen...

With Jackson Frost under their belt, they would be a PA power house if they make this happen...

i wouldn't hate it, but they are cash-poor right now...and i don't think the crusty old guy that owns elk will ever sell. or lower his pass price. or allow tree skiing. still the best mtn in PA, imho.

jimmywilson69

Had the joy of being in Scranton for Work Monday - Wednesday. Was going to ski Jack Frost, but they aren't open at night and It certainly wasn't worth it to drive to Big Boulder. Skied Montage for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. After Skiing Montage on Monday I said, I should go to Elk. Well they too were closed for night skiing Mon-Tue, so I went back to Montage. $30 lift tickets Monday-Wednesday all day.

If Blue was closer I would've got there, but was happy with Montage. Their steep slopes are pretty decent for PA. No one there on Monday. I literally had every run to my self.

camberstick

30 dollars? Might have to get up there ,its been at least 20 years. Just got done inspecting Camelback, seeded bumps were tough, granular and boilerplate. Raceway pod was pretty decent . Alot of rocks in trail today.

John9

I was at Camelback yesterday, Rocket and Asp had hardpack, "packed powder"smooth conditions, great for ripping groomers.

powhunter

Gonna try to head up this Monday. Bumps should be prime with temps in the 50s and sun !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyWebb

Weather for next 10 days not looking promising for the Mts in this discussion

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Had the joy of being in Scranton for Work Monday - Wednesday. Was going to ski Jack Frost, but they aren't open at night and It certainly wasn't worth it to drive to Big Boulder. Skied Montage for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. After Skiing Montage on Monday I said, I should go to Elk. Well they too were closed for night skiing Mon-Tue, so I went back to Montage. $30 lift tickets Monday-Wednesday all day.

If Blue was closer I would've got there, but was happy with Montage. Their steep slopes are pretty decent for PA. No one there on Monday. I literally had every run to my self.

I consider Montage's North Face (especially Boomer and White Lighting) the most challenging terrain in Eastern PA, with the possible exception of some of Elk (which I rarely ski as Hunter is only about 10 minutes further from me in Central NJ). And I absolutely love that there is never a line for the lift that serves Montage's North Face, even on holiday weekends.

Crowds at Blue are a nightmare apart from weekdays or before 10 am.

jimmywilson69

The expert trails were definitely on par with steepness you can get up north. Lower White Lightning is super steep. Is it the 2nd steepest slope in the east as they claim? Doubltful, but still a legitimate black up north.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

The expert trails were definitely on par with steepness you can get up north. Lower White Lightning is super steep. Is it the 2nd steepest slope in the east as they claim? Doubltful, but still a legitimate black up north.

I see you ski Rountop a lot. How does Gun Barrel compare. I have been wanting to check that out. Hasn't been open since I got Epic pass though.

jimmywilson69

Gun barrel is probably steeper but significantly shorter. Like 3 turns, maybe 4 if the snow is soft and there are bumps.

Roundtop is 4 miles from home and 7 miles from work. Hence the Lunch Runs!

Domeskier

How is Barney’s skiing today? Thinking about going tomorrow

Skied nicely in the am thanks to a fresh coating of man made. Glare ice in the troughs after 12:00pm. Hoping they thaw out with the warmer temps tomorrow.

tnt1234

I think we are going to hit Montage for the first time tomorrow.

Not sure what prompted us to set his course. Blue is probably a good choice, but I guess we're kind of sick of it, plus they've been having lift issues...so we'll drive an extra 30 min and try something new.