12/25/2019: A very merry Christmas at Attitash - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Hopefully Katz recognizes soon that the main summit lift at his third largest Eastern toy is a hunk of crap and pathetic even when it does run.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app


  2. #12
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    5,064
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Hopefully Katz recognizes soon that the main summit lift at his third largest Eastern toy is a hunk of crap and pathetic even when it does run.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Maybe 4th largest, right? Stowe, Okemo, Mt Snow. And probably not the 4th busiest with Sunapee and Hunter in the mix.

    I wonder if Attitash itself is as valuable as the cost of a HSQ to the summit.

  3. #13
    I'm not convinced Vail will do all that much there. They don't seem to invest all that much on areas that don't make them a shitload of money. They've not done any replacement at Kirkwood since they bought in 2012 and some of those lifts are pretty beat up.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Maybe 4th largest, right? Stowe, Okemo, Mt Snow. And probably not the 4th busiest with Sunapee and Hunter in the mix.

    I wonder if Attitash itself is as valuable as the cost of a HSQ to the summit.
    probably right. 4th largest. And yes, probably 6th busiest.

    I think if they were to look at the history of Attitash, they used to average around 200k skier visits. These days more like 150k. I attribute that loss almost entirely on them having the crappiest summit lift of any major Eastern ski area.

    50k skiers is a ton of revenue to be missing.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #15
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    5,064
    Interesting, as the cost of real estate in the area has risen sharply in recent years. I think Cranmore is doing decent business. Honestly not sure about BW or even Wildcat because I only go weekdays.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the woods of greater-Waltham
    Posts
    609
    I'm betting Vail replaces that lift within a couple seasons. From a regional perspective that lift is now a major blemish on Vail Resorts. It's about corporate image.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    probably right. 4th largest. And yes, probably 6th busiest.

    I think if they were to look at the history of Attitash, they used to average around 200k skier visits. These days more like 150k. I attribute that loss almost entirely on them having the crappiest summit lift of any major Eastern ski area.

    50k skiers is a ton of revenue to be missing.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    This is right on.

    1998 was the last year that Attitash got a new lift (Flying Yankee). Since then, the following NH resorts installed high speed lifts:

    Bretton Woods (x3)
    Cannon
    Crotched
    Gunstock
    Loon (x2)
    Ragged (x2)
    Sunapee (x2 if you include the summit, which was also installed in 199

    Cranmore and BW also installed new beginner lifts since 1998, and the double-doubles at Attitash are an abomination. My solution (which won't happen) would be to replace the summit triple with a six pack. Install a mid unload just above highway to make the Yankee unnecessary. Move the Yankee to the double-doubles.

    Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    The permits will not be worse than a VT ACT 250 filing, IE you file a year in advance and expect to do your homework. Permits are not the impediment to replacement, it's been ownership.
    https://www.newenglandskihistory.com...e/attitash.php

    "The original Old Reliable double chairlift was finally retired following the 1997-98 season. In its place, the Flying Yankee Express high speed quad was installed. Its relatively short length could be attributed to the private property boundary and thus avoidance of significant National Forest permits and lease fees."

    It's not an official Attitash site, but these guys seem to have a good idea what's going on. Combine it with the limited downhill capacity from the summit, and it's highly unlikely they will put in a HS quad.

  9. #19
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    3,084
    I typically don't post conjecture on here.

    If the money is ever obtained, the snowmaking on Wildred's will be replaced (since a Boyd froze it, had a hissy fit, and ordered it disconnected permanently). With that fixed there is sufficient downhill capacity and they will install a HSQ.

    The wish list also includes doing something with the double doubles.

  10. #20
    Move the triple with carpet load to the double doubles.

    Could also reduce number of chairs to limit downhill capacity from a summit HSQ

    For whatever psychological reason, most modern skiers are fine with a 14 minute lift line for a 6 minute ride vs a 6 minute lift line for a 14 minute ride.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:58 AM.