12/25/2019: A very merry Christmas at Attitash

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

12/25/2019: A very merry Christmas at Attitash

Condition: well groomed man-made snow, sun and cloud, very light crowd

Got the before 10. Not much crowd to speak off. Parked next to the tunnel entrance (there’re others prefer to park such to walk right across the road, which had almost no traffic).

Its my first time there. Not knowing anything about the mountain, I did the obvious, of getting on the Summit triple. Well, it’s a looong and slooow ride! I nearly fell to sleep on the chair ride.

But the view from the top of the summit is really nice. The day’s not the brightest today. I imagine it’d be gorgeous on a bright sunny day.

Also on the way, I got to look at the trails it crossed. They looked freshly groomed and in good shape. So I ripped it! Not bad at all. This coming from someone who doesn’t care much for groomers much except to use them to get to the trees and bumps. Today, there’s no expectation of any bumps, let alone trees. So groomers zooming is all I expected and I’d say I’m not disappointed.

Back up on the Flying Yankee. Much better. In fact, I nearly missed the dismount as I didn’t expect it to come so quickly (was intensely studying trail map). A couple quick laps of the lower mountain to warm up. Then it’s back on the slow summit triple to take on the 2 blacks that were open. Good steep trails to get the legs working.

Then it’s time to explore the Bear side. Only a few top to bottom routes. Quickly covered those. Turns out the trail to get back to Attitash had the best snow. So changed my mind and did another lap on the “roundabout” route to the bottom.

Time for lunch. Plenty of tables.

Just when I was almost done eating, someone asked if they could share my table. That’s when I noticed the increased presence of ... people! They also mentioned the slopes we’re getting a little busy, and starting to get scraped off. So I hurried outside to do some more runs while the ”masses” eat lunch.

By the time the post-lunch crowd came out, I was ready to quit. There’s only so many laps I care to do of the 5-6 different top to bottom routes. Still, a nice day.

A very merry skiing Christmas day no less!

I must say I’m impressed with my 1st visit to Attitash. I’ll add that to my list for when I’m in the area.

Last edited by abc; Dec 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM.

It's got great pitch and some interesting trails.

It's downfalls are low elevation / natural snowfall + the slow ass summit chair.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glad you had a good day out. They do have a bunch of fun trails and crowds are usually at a minimum (compared to many other areas). Redundant statement alert...if they had better access to the summit it would be even better. Not sure they would ever brake any records for skier visits if they added a HSQ to the top but I guess that is partly why they have never replaced the dinosaur triple, no ROI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Drove by today on my way home (after a couple hours of xc skiing). The parking lot looked almost full!

Though the lifts and slopes didn't look too busy still. Could be the people were having their lunch break though. Anyway, crowd doesn't appear to be too much of an issue from where I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Glad you had a good day out. They do have a bunch of fun trails and crowds are usually at a minimum (compared to many other areas). Redundant statement alert...if they had better access to the summit it would be even better. Not sure they would ever brake any records for skier visits if they added a HSQ to the top but I guess that is partly why they have never replaced the dinosaur triple, no ROI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
    The upper half of the mountain is on forest service land. The permits are a pain in the rear to get to upgrade the summit triple. Won't happen any time soon. And to be honest, I enjoy the slow trip up. Plenty of time to recover and lots of time for conversation.

At the very least they should put conveyor loading on the triple and speed it up by 20%. Bring the ride down from 15 minutes to 12.

I don't ski Attitash frequently. I basically only go there during natural snow droughts when I'm bored with the limited groomer terrain at Cat or I'll also head there in the spring because it softens much earlier in the day. I dig the trails off the top of the triple, it's the best terrain on the mountain. But I get annoyed coming from the badass quad at Cat easily skiing 10k vert an hour to less than half that at Tash.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Never had good experiences at Attitash. Went on days where the Ride and Ski event was and every time is was super firm. Did not enjoy the slow summit lift either. The quad put too many people on Highway - the cross cross that cuts up the black runs creating weird traffic patterns when it is busy. Bear is IMO the better side but the lift line has typically been deep. The lodge gets easily over crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I’ll ski Attitash every year between 1-3 times or so. I enjoy spring days there, taking it slow and having beers on the deck at the Attitash side. That’ll only be if there’s an issue with Wildcat, which happens with the elevation difference.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by dblskifanatic View Post
    Bear is IMO the better side but the lift line has typically been deep. The lodge gets easily over crowded.
    I’m surprised about that. I would have thought Bear side would be the quiet side.

Wasn’t busy Christmas day. But yesterday was much busier as I drove by. Parking lot was packed. Lots of people milling about.

Quote Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
    The upper half of the mountain is on forest service land. The permits are a pain in the rear to get to upgrade the summit triple. Won't happen any time soon. And to be honest, I enjoy the slow trip up. Plenty of time to recover and lots of time for conversation.
    The permits will not be worse than a VT ACT 250 filing, IE you file a year in advance and expect to do your homework. Permits are not the impediment to replacement, it's been ownership.

There was another mechanical issue this weekend, hopefully it factors into Broomfield's decision.

Thread Information