• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did Vail intentionally ruin snow reports?

The Sneak

Please help me understand why snow reports for all Vail-owned properties are so effing terrible. Why is there no descriptive text / paragraph? Please explain, understanding I am slow and sometimes need to sound out big words.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Because they don't really care about the ski experience. And they want to save money by making it all automated out of Colorado.

mbedle

Because they don't really care about the ski experience. And they want to save money by making it all automated out of Colorado.

So true! Call the snow phone, after enough bitching last year they finally brought back Andre.

Has anyone heard of a lift going on hold for fog??? I guess there is a first time for everything.

mgalluzz

In their business model, the quality of the conditions don't matter very much. Everything is paid for in advance, so you're going skiing no matter what the snow report says.

Edd

Wildcat’s report from today below. I’ve seen better, but it’s not terrible.

COMMENTS
Think Snow

TGIF skiers and riders! Mother Nature may be throwing some weird stuff our way, but that’s never stopped our Born Wild family. Get out here, and when your legs just can’t make another turn, head to the Wildcat Pub for some stellar après vibes.

Take your pick of 18 trails, 7.5 miles, and 122 acres of terrain. Our groomers hit all of those trails with a fresh coat of cord, which has made for a purr-fectly shreddable morning. Feel fast with a cruise down the Lynx trails, or take your time and make your way around Wild Kitten. The Wildcat Express, Bobcat Triple, Snowbelt, and Snowcat Triple are open from 8:30 am-3:30 pm.

Our snowmakers are waiting on Mother Nature to give them the okay. Give them a hand and pray for snow!

As a little holiday bonus, we have après entertainment in the Wildcat Pub every day this week.
Cheers, and I will see you on the slopes,

-Mel

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Looks like they haven't converted the new peak resorts to their snowreporting platform. Enjoy your last season with a decent snow report.

SkiingInABlueDream

Looks like they haven't converted the new peak resorts to their snowreporting platform. Enjoy your last season with a decent snow report.

On one hand I agree with this but I can also rationalize another theory, for Wildcat at least. 'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging. Even if you're doing a multiday stay in Jackson you're still essentially day tripping to Wildcat, which arguably creates an implicit need for an informative report. That said if I had to guess one way or the other I do still believe Vail will purge Wildcats reports eventually. I also agree with the "just go ski regardless of conditions because you've already paid for your vacation" theory about Vail snow reports.

dblskifanatic

https://www.stowe.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/snow-and-weather-report.aspx

Here is Stowe’s report. I find it has everything you need!

https://www.breckenridge.com/the-mountain/mountain-conditions/terrain-and-lift-status.aspx

Here is Breck’s reports! Also has everything you need.

Terrain status, percent ungroomed, weather forecast, snow in the last 24, 72 and week.

I find that the puffed up reports have a tendency to sugar coat so you come. Even Wildcats above - Mother Nature is throwing some weird stuff our way!

We actually pay attention to forecasts for the most part!

Actually just get out there - you will find what makes you happy. Oh and take what the mountain gives you!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
On one hand I agree with this but I can also rationalize another theory, for Wildcat at least. 'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging. Even if you're doing a multiday stay in Jackson you're still essentially day tripping to Wildcat, which arguably creates an implicit need for an informative report. That said if I had to guess one way or the other I do still believe Vail will purge Wildcats reports eventually. I also agree with the "just go ski regardless of conditions because you've already paid for your vacation" theory about Vail snow reports.

Mount snow and Crotched still have the narrative. They will all change next year. Okemo and Sunapee got their first season under the non-vail way. This year they are on the new platform. Now Okemo puts out a narrative on their facebook page due to the backlash.

abc

Vail is a resort that supports skiing. Wildcat is a no frill ski hill.

I've always found it annoying that to even find the snow report in the web site of ski "resorts". You have to hunt around all the lodging & deal marketing fluff to get to the snow reports.

'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging.
You're totally right there.

mbedle

Vail is a resort that supports skiing. Wildcat is a no frill ski hill.

I've always found it annoying that to even find the snow report in the web site of ski "resorts". You have to hunt around all the lodging & deal marketing fluff to get to the snow reports.

You're totally right there.

Vail owns a couple of non-resort large ski areas and the websites are pretty much all the same (except the 3 in the midwest, they have their own format). Former Peaks resorts will all switch over next season to the standard Vail website format (including Wildcat).

icecoast1

What difference does it make? It's all marketing propaganda anyway. Just publish an accurate list of what's open, groomed, new snow and where the snowmaking is and be done with it

Last edited:

Edd

I guess the difference is that an originally written snow report adds a personal touch. Probably more appealing to locals than tourists. I like it. It doesn’t seem like such an effort for one marketing person a day to bang out a couple of short paragraphs.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

SkiingInABlueDream

I guess the difference is that an originally written snow report adds a personal touch. Probably more appealing to locals than tourists. I like it. It doesn’t seem like such an effort for one marketing person a day to bang out a couple of short paragraphs.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

This. Also when it's the same people doing that narrative for a mountain week after week you eventually can pick up subtleties, or read between the lines in the reports which is impossible when the report is just a list of open and closed trails and lifts. Aesthetically, I like the discussion type report.

cdskier

Yes

This. Also when it's the same people doing that narrative for a mountain week after week you eventually can pick up subtleties, or read between the lines in the reports which is impossible when the report is just a list of open and closed trails and lifts. Aesthetically, I like the discussion type report.

And yes.

kbroderick

The narrative also allows putting in info that doesn't fit into the standard report, e.g. "we are expecting high winds later, so hit the higher lifts early" or "we're hosting the 2020 Ski Off Challenge today, so expect 300 competitors and their families at the Main Base Lodge. We're opening the Less Used Lodge early to help make room, consider skiing from there today".

I haven't seen a canned report format that allows clearly sharing that info.

kingslug

I tend to create my own report using all the available info i can get..including first hand accounts from here..and following the weather..
I find it amusing when im asked ...will it be icy you think???
No..not at all..it just rained for 2 days and went to 4 below zero at night...youll be good to go..