Did Vail intentionally ruin snow reports? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    3,699
    Vail is a resort that supports skiing. Wildcat is a no frill ski hill.

    I've always found it annoying that to even find the snow report in the web site of ski "resorts". You have to hunt around all the lodging & deal marketing fluff to get to the snow reports.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    'Cat is a ski area not a resort. Nobody spends a week/end *at* Wildcat because there's no immediate lodging.
    You're totally right there.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Vail is a resort that supports skiing. Wildcat is a no frill ski hill.

    I've always found it annoying that to even find the snow report in the web site of ski "resorts". You have to hunt around all the lodging & deal marketing fluff to get to the snow reports.


    You're totally right there.
    Vail owns a couple of non-resort large ski areas and the websites are pretty much all the same (except the 3 in the midwest, they have their own format). Former Peaks resorts will all switch over next season to the standard Vail website format (including Wildcat).

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Wait, what?!?
    Yep, Stowe quad was on hold this morning for low visibility. I am guess it was a health and safety issues not being able to visually inspect all the towers.

  4. #14
    What difference does it make? It's all marketing propaganda anyway. Just publish an accurate list of what's open, groomed, new snow and where the snowmaking is and be done with it
    Last edited by icecoast1; Dec 27, 2019 at 11:53 AM.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    What difference does it make? It's all marketing propaganda anyway. Just publish an accurate list of what's open, groomed, new snow and where the snowmaking is and be done with it
    Couldn't agree more, unfortunately Vail does not do that.

  6. #16
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    5,195
    I guess the difference is that an originally written snow report adds a personal touch. Probably more appealing to locals than tourists. I like it. It doesn’t seem like such an effort for one marketing person a day to bang out a couple of short paragraphs.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the woods of greater-Waltham
    Posts
    617

    Did Vail intentionally ruin snow reports?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I guess the difference is that an originally written snow report adds a personal touch. Probably more appealing to locals than tourists. I like it. It doesn’t seem like such an effort for one marketing person a day to bang out a couple of short paragraphs.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    This. Also when it's the same people doing that narrative for a mountain week after week you eventually can pick up subtleties, or read between the lines in the reports which is impossible when the report is just a list of open and closed trails and lifts. Aesthetically, I like the discussion type report.


  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I guess the difference is that an originally written snow report adds a personal touch. Probably more appealing to locals than tourists. I like it. It doesn’t seem like such an effort for one marketing person a day to bang out a couple of short paragraphs.
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream View Post
    This. Also when it's the same people doing that narrative for a mountain week after week you eventually can pick up subtleties, or read between the lines in the reports which is impossible when the report is just a list of open and closed trails and lifts. Aesthetically, I like the discussion type report.
    And yes.

  9. #19
    The narrative also allows putting in info that doesn't fit into the standard report, e.g. "we are expecting high winds later, so hit the higher lifts early" or "we're hosting the 2020 Ski Off Challenge today, so expect 300 competitors and their families at the Main Base Lodge. We're opening the Less Used Lodge early to help make room, consider skiing from there today".

    I haven't seen a canned report format that allows clearly sharing that info.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

  10. #20
    kingslug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Stamford Ct and Stowe
    Posts
    4,950
    I tend to create my own report using all the available info i can get..including first hand accounts from here..and following the weather..
    I find it amusing when im asked ...will it be icy you think???
    No..not at all..it just rained for 2 days and went to 4 below zero at night...youll be good to go..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:53 AM.