• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many of you have the ski patrol phone number on your phone?

drjeff

Just read an account of a Kzone regular who from what it sounds like was one of the first on scene of the fatality that happened at K this past Saturday.

One of the things that struck me the most after reading this account, and hearing first hand reflections about how to better help a fellow person who is injured and in need of help, was the simple thing that we all can do, which is put the ski patrol's contact number of where you're skiing in the contact list of your cell phone.

I just did that myself. I hope I never have to use it, but it's there now just in case

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Just read an account of a Kzone regular who from what it sounds like was one of the first on scene of the fatality that happened at K this past Saturday.

One of the things that struck me the most after reading this account, and hearing first hand reflections about how to better help a fellow person who is injured and in need of help, was the simple thing that we all can do, which is put the ski patrol's contact number of where you're skiing in the contact list of your cell phone.

I just did that myself. I hope I never have to use it, but it's there now just in case

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

I also read that. I am 100% on-board with adding the patrol number into my phone.

gmcunni

the 2 times i've been in the situation... called 911 and they connected me to ski patrol (2 different mountains)

machski

I've had home base Sunday River patrol on my speed dial page for ever. Have had to use it for others a few times and once for myself. After reading that Kzone entry, I added K and Loon's as those are my most frequent outside of SR. Will add others when I ski on trips from now on. Good idea on 911 as a good second option, especially if they can connect you over to patrol directly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

hiroto

Very good point. A few years ago, I was at Mont Blanc, Quebec. Skiing with my daughter and son, first thing in the morning on a very very cold day. It was beautiful but the mountain was empty. In the middle of the mountain, my daughter crashed and had a bad tumble at fairly high speed, screaming in pain. I chose to have my son stay with her, ski downed and asked for patrol (on a second thought, I should have sent him down). Before seeing this post, it never occurred to me that I could have called for help if I had that number.

hiroto

It just occurred to me so I took a look at Sunday River App. Scroll down to the bottom and there is this prominent "Emergency" button. It seems to lookup your location with GPS, and send the information to the emergency service and make a call. Very nice. Do all mountain apps have something like this?

IMG_1637.jpgIMG_1638.jpg

cdskier

Sugarbush has the emergency contact number in their app...although it is 3 clicks from the home screen so not as ideal as what I'm seeing in the SR app screenshot. It doesn't have any GPS integration either from what I can tell and is just the number to call.

Have had Sunday River's patrol number on my phone for a number of years now. I have called them a couple of times after coming upon downed skiers/riders. This is a true no brainer, just do it!

ski&soccermom

I do for home mountain, but not when we go to others. Something to think about. On the handful of times someone in our group got hurt or we encountered someone who did, we usually sent someone ahead to get a patroller. The idea to call 911 is a good one! Or keep the numbers for any mountain you are at.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

darent

made it a habit after my wife hurt her ankle in Steamboat. Nice reminder drJeff,thanks

BenedictGomez

I've never thought of this before, but it's great advice for your home mountain or a mountain you hit a bunch of times each year. I'm surprised it's not a promoted thing.

Scruffy

It's not only a great idea for your home mountain, it's an even better idea for big mountains you're visiting on a ski vacation where you may not be familiar with the terrain and explore of into somewhere there may not be a lot of other skiers or riders around.

JaydJeen

That's a great idea to have the ski patrol's contact number saved in your phone, it's always better to be prepared for any situation.