• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's so bad you have to pay people to move to Vermont

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Knowing there is some problem in the USA; I ask, do you really believe this fraud has a major impact on our country's direction today? How about 30 years ago? Or 50? Are we better now or back then?

I don't think voter fraud is a major problem, but there have been some high profile elections that were or almost certainly were stolen. So it really does happen, as much as we want to not believe that's true. A few recent examples that instantly come to mind:

1) Al Franken's 2008 Senate win in Minnesota, whereby he lost on election night & only won when the "correct" number of ballots were later "found" in a Democrat election worker's car trunk (really, I'm not making that up), as well as the fact that it was found a few hundred convicted felons illegally voted for Franken. Of course the Republican who won on election night sued, but from top to bottom all the legal & government power in Minny was Dem controlled, and they handed Franken the victory.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blog...-have-won-his-senate-seat-through-voter-fraud

2) Washington 2004 gov race, the Republican won close on election night, so there was a recount, which the Republican also won. Similarly to MN, Dems control the machinery in WA and a 2nd recount was ordered!!!! In the 2nd recount, the Democrat finally had enough votes to "win" the election by finding "misplaced" ballots that were heavily Democrat. Amazingly (sarcasm), that ended the recounts!

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4662278

skiur

Yup. Nothing at all surprising in that video. Just shows how much some people who have no clue like to think they know what problems other people have or what other people think.

Also agree with Hawk on his ID plan.

And agree with Edd that it would be a tough sell (I also know people that are anti-EZ Pass for the same reasons he mentioned)

Do these people not carry a cell phone with them? They are worried about ezpass tracking them when they have the ultimate tracking device in there pocket! This is the world we live in.

BenedictGomez

Voter ID ...Who's the racist ????

The GOP should pay for that video & turn it into a campaign commercial in urban areas. This bogus, "voter suppression" nonsense is a white liberal canard that is (as the video demonstrates) ironically, racist.

It doesn't shock me, having grown up & lived in liberal areas almost my entire life, white liberals are about the most racist people that I know. I would classify these Caucasian liberals as, "accidentally racist" in the fact that they're wholly & completely unaware that their beliefs are in fact racist, but their belief that black people are helpless & cant tie their shoes without government aid is about as racist as it gets. This video is a phenomenal example of that general belief.

flakeydog

Hmmm- will try to keep this brief and somewhat apolitical...

Voter Fraud: there are 2 key things keep this issue a non-issue

1) the desire to cheat the system is not partisan, (human nature and statistics show) there is, and will be, fraud on both sides of an election. It is a reasonable assumption that much of the fraud that occurs will largely offset by this phenomenon. If you believe that voter fraud is significantly skewed to one side or the other than you can stop reading- you will not understand the rest of this.

2) the nature of an election makes cheating inherently inefficient and quite difficult to pull off effectively. Voting happens at the individual level (one vote at a time) across multiple towns, counties, states, etc. To pull something off that actually would move the needle, you would have to have an incredibly large and sophisticated network that would also remain undetected. Getting the roughly 50% of people that can vote (but don't) to actually vote is a much better (and less risky) use of those resources.

Voting should be made easier, not harder. Look at our Constitution and our laws since our founding. We have consistently expanded voting rights and fought against voter suppression efforts, why stop now?

On the subject of identification- this country was founded on the principle of freedom. I am not some paranoid doomsday prepper living in a bunker somewhere but I do believe that our right to move freely in this country is sacred, for everybody (that means everybody). I should be able to go about my business without being stopped or asked to produce ID by any government entity without just cause, period. Things like national ID and any other form of tracking may appear to solve some problems, but be careful what you wish for. We cannot selectively enforce the Bill of Rights (example- many of those who are rabid supporters of the 2nd amendment see no issue in turning a blind eye to the 4th, and vice versa). The price of freedom means yes, even the bad guys get it too. It has been said in so many iterations over the centuries that it is better to let 10 (or 40 or 100) guilty go free than to let one innocent man suffer. Messy, inconvenient, frustrating? yes, but sacred.

bdfreetuna

white liberals are about the most racist people that I know

That's what happens when you toss the "color-blind" aspirations out the window in favor of intersectional oppression theory. This is how some people arrive at the idea that whites are born racist and other races are incapable of racism. Anyone from a country where whites are a minority knows this is absurd. The vast majority of Americans still take a common sense approach to non-racism, unfortunately institutions controlled by the left (media, acedemia, mainstream news) have done everything they can to legitimize the in-fact racist (and sexist, classist, discriminatory by design) social justice model and decry the concept of simply looking at people's character over the content of their skin as somehow newly racist and regressive.

Fortunately Woke Culture is getting Cancelled pretty fast. Look at the dynamics of stand up comedy today for a bellwether on where American culture is headed.

EPB

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but down here, the "accidentally racist" remark is accurate in my book. Whether it's creating frictions between people who look different though PC culture or though intersectionality, white American left elites have ensured that race is at the forefront of political discourse. Much of this had crept into the workforce, too. Apparently, people now think race relations have worsened since Obama was elected in 2008. It's pretty sad.

The left leaning American media is a key driver behind why people feel this way - giving life to countless narratives about how racist this country is (police, prisons, the economy, voting laws, bad public schools ironically in liberal cities; you name it, they're all out to opress people who aren't white). The 1619 project at the New York Times is a particularly pathetic example of this.

As mentioned before, the underlying assumption that only white people can manage to show up and vote is completely grotesque. Yet this is heralded as the key reason why we should just send herds of supposedly well-meaning Democrats out to go fill out ballots for empoverished non-whites.

I wouldn't go as far as BG, but he's not entirely off base.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

always blows my mind that this northeastern ski board is basically a klan rally half the time.
I get that ad hominem on the internet is a common way for people to feel good about themselves, but that's quite the assertion. Who do you think is in the klan? If you really believe this, why associate with a place that's half klan really?

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

Do these people not carry a cell phone with them? They are worried about ezpass tracking them when they have the ultimate tracking device in there pocket! This is the world we live in.

Worried about EZ-Pass tracking? I guess the don't realize Law Enforcement now has access to fixed and mobile plate scanning cameras/technology, capable of scanning 60 plates PER SECOND! All traffic they pass and meet, and sitting parked on the side of the road and in parking lots, as they just routinely drive around on patrol.

KustyTheKlown

Too true. The % of RWNJ's on this forum is crazy. But I guess I shouldn't be suprised since I think this board skews 1. Old, 2. White, and 3. Relatively well off.

yea, i mean skiing skews old(ish), white, and relatively well off, but skiing also tends to skew grateful dead, environment, cannabis, new england.

kbroderick

I don't think voter fraud is a major problem, but there have been some high profile elections that were or almost certainly were stolen. So it really does happen, as much as we want to not believe that's true. A few recent examples that instantly come to mind:

1) Al Franken's 2008 Senate win in Minnesota, whereby he lost on election night & only won when the "correct" number of ballots were later "found" in a Democrat election worker's car trunk (really, I'm not making that up), as well as the fact that it was found a few hundred convicted felons illegally voted for Franken. Of course the Republican who won on election night sued, but from top to bottom all the legal & government power in Minny was Dem controlled, and they handed Franken the victory.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blog...-have-won-his-senate-seat-through-voter-fraud

Agreed that it looks fishy, but it's really hard to take seriously an article that consistently uses the wrong word when referring to a central aspect of the coverage (voter "roles").

2) Washington 2004 gov race, the Republican won close on election night, so there was a recount, which the Republican also won. Similarly to MN, Dems control the machinery in WA and a 2nd recount was ordered!!!! In the 2nd recount, the Democrat finally had enough votes to "win" the election by finding "misplaced" ballots that were heavily Democrat. Amazingly (sarcasm), that ended the recounts!

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4662278

So in a race with a tiny margin, they did a machine recount, and then a hand recount, and the process seems to have worked—it corrected a small (by percentage) number of errors, identified some other questionable results, and appears to have tried to get to a correct result, with most of the discrepancies explained and documented?

That's fairly standard in a number of states (some form of basic recount at a relatively small but still significant margin, e.g. 1%, and a more time-consuming and detailed recount if requested and/or under a low difference, usually with the appellant posting bond to cover the cost and forfeiting it if he or she loses). And after a detailed look at 2.9 million votes, a bit less than 0.2% of those look potentially funky?

If you show me a retail establishment that has 99.8% happy customers with correctly handled transactions (not under- or overcharged, correctly entered into the POS, etc), I'd be damned impressed. I realize that elections should be more precise than buying gum at the corner store, but that particular example shines as an outlier primarily because of the tiny margin (0.005%) in the result.

I wasn't familiar with that case, and I don't have the time to dig into it right now, but is there anything in particular in the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Washington_gubernatorial_election#Initial_results) that's documented as inaccurate?

abc

I think this board skews 1. Old, 2. White, and 3. Relatively well off.
White, yes.

I'm not sure about the others. Is the skiing population "old"?

The "well off" part is probably more about online forum than anything else. I mean, anyone know of a poverty stricken forum regular? ;)

KustyTheKlown

Being on a forum has nothing to do with it. Skiing is just expensive and the barriers to entry are huge. If anything I’d say the forum skews older than average. The shreddy youth are at newschoolers and tgr. I’d also suspect those boards to be more overtly liberal

bdfreetuna

I mean, anyone know of a poverty stricken forum regular? ;)

I know some who've been through tough times. I wouldn't be surprised if many live paycheck to paycheck as I did until a couple years ago able to start putting some money aside. I've never bought a new car and have never owned a home, although the latter hopefully happening in the next year or so.

Just saying you can't see people on an internet forum. If someone doesn't post for a month, they could have been in Switzerland, or they could have had a hard time paying their bills, gone to jail/rehab/mental illness treatment, etc.

icecoast1

Worried about EZ-Pass tracking? I guess the don't realize Law Enforcement now has access to fixed and mobile plate scanning cameras/technology, capable of scanning 60 plates PER SECOND! All traffic they pass and meet, and sitting parked on the side of the road and in parking lots, as they just routinely drive around on patrol.

New York is eliminating toll booth workers and just scanning your plate and sending you a bill if you dont have an EZ pass, so you're getting scanned and tracked regardless. I'm not sure what these people think they're hiding from

Status
Not open for further replies.