• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

It's so bad you have to pay people to move to Vermont

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

Oh no an unexpected tangent and just when the racism part was getting good. After some thought I do remember working with a racist 25 years ago. The company I worked with hired a African American who would be working with him. I thought there was going to be a homicide one way or another. A week later they were fishing together LOL . Minds can change, never give up a dialogue because you never know!!!
Try this:

Some years ago (quite a few years, actually), I had this dear friend who said, in a party: "I think all black people are lazy". I was shocked but didn't really know what to say.

About 1/2 hr later, we were talking about finding a good doctor. That very same person said "My doctor is really good. He's from Haiti".

Well, majority people from Haiti are black. So people were looking at each other and some tried to find a polite way to find out the said Haitian doctor's skin color.

Turns out, he is black. More over, said friend also have a black financial adviser!

I suppose "lazy" doctor and financial adviser must be perfectly acceptable. :roll:

I try not to use "label". Just see the action.

I hope it snows soon!!
It is snowing in VT/NH from what I heard. :)

KustyTheKlown

Oh no an unexpected tangent and just when the racism part was getting good. After some thought I do remember working with a racist 25 years ago. The company I worked with hired a African American who would be working with him. I thought there was going to be a homicide one way or another. A week later they were fishing together LOL . Minds can change, never give up a dialogue because you never know!!!

I hope it snows soon!!

yay for perfect images.

220px-Gone_fishin.jpg

bdfreetuna

Clearly we are not getting any help from our "leaders".

Candace Owens IMO is the foremost modern personality on race relations -- I call her the new MLK just because she's gone back to his original intention of looking beyond the color of each other's skin. She's spoken at the White House on at least a couple occasions and the President has given her numerous shout-outs.

Pretty clear to me as we went from 90's color-blind era into 2010's increasingly "woke" era, people are starting to get tired of the name calling and/or it falls on deaf ears. For example, I've listened to AM radio a few weeks ago driving around and the black host was discussing how the 70% fatherless rate in black homes was a much bigger issue than white oppression. I don't know what the Candance Owens movement will be seen as in the future but her goal seems to be breaking chains of mental slavery. This is very interesting stuff to me, as one of my great hopes is a future where everyone is able to concern themselves with more productive endeavors.

BenedictGomez

The Whole idea of the WMD was a construct of the members of Bushes cabinet and Military consultants

Again, this is entirely false.

It was not only the US intelligence that believed Saddam had WMD, it was the Brits, the French, the Italians, and some others I'm forgetting. The belief that Saddam had WMD was widely held in the global intelligence community, probably at least in part because Saddam said he did. A great miscalculation on his part thinking nobody would attack if we thought he possessed such weapons.

bdfreetuna

^ Brits and Italian intel colluded with Obama to spy on Trump campaign for one thing. The "intelligence community" also recently told us Russia hacked Hillary's emails and gave them to Wikileaks.

No way I'm on board with WMD's being a legit explanation. The Bush family is a just as clearly a crime family as the Clintons. Prescott Bush, actual Nazi major supporter and founded the CIA, which then went on to MKUltra and MKNaomi and God knows how many other black projects. George HW Bush spoke repeatedly and notably about a "New World Order". George W Bush served his purpose to get us entangled in the Middle East in as many ways as possible.

It's rare you come across someone of any political persuasion who still defends going into Iraq and the Bush family

BenedictGomez

It's rare you come across someone of either political persuasion who still defends going into Iraq and the Bush family

I'm not defending either, I"m merely stating that, "Bush used WMD as an excuse to start a war" ,is another form of dopey Iraq War conspiracy theories, along with, "Bush invaded Iraq to steal oil" and "Bush started a war solely to get Halliburton contracts".

bdfreetuna

OK but didn't he invade Iraq because his daddy the NWO supporting Neocon already tried, and the policy to destabilize and "nation build" the Middle East remained the same when his son took office?

We know that's not where 9/11 was launched from even remotely. Not Afghanistan either (but those poppy fields sure do look good for some black op drug running... and what do you know now we got cheap heroin flooding the northeast in the 2000s-2010s, RIP to a few old friends on that note). Saudi Arabia would have been at least somewhat more accurate. Or just follow the money.

Last edited:

Dickc

Dickc

It was not only the US intelligence that believed Saddam had WMD, it was the Brits, the French, the Italians, and some others I'm forgetting. The belief that Saddam had WMD was widely held in the global intelligence community, probably at least in part because Saddam said he did. A great miscalculation on his part thinking nobody would attack if we thought he possessed such weapons.

You need to dig around as its not well reported, but the troops did find buried WMD's. Saddam buried them in hopes they would just go away, which was not a really good idea as they started to leak and get into the environment. The troops that did find them suffered quite a few ill effects in retrieving them for proper destruction. The WMD's were completely unusable once found.

Orca

"The panel that sets Vermont’s official economic forecasts moved Thursday to increase the state’s projected tax revenue by $44 million over the next two years.
Thursday’s update was not surprising; Vermont has seen as its revenue outpacing expectations in recent years, and the country has experienced the longest period of economic recovery on record."
-- VTDigger, 16 January 2020

So a rising tide raises all boats and Vermont's government benefits from the Trump economy. They get their share!

"Thank you to Sen Anthony Pollina for his proposal to tax well-off Vermonters to fund concrete steps to address climate change.
Pollina’s proposal taxes only the top 5% of Vermont taxpayers, and it does this by imposing only a relatively small surcharge to recoup some of the windfall these taxpayers have reaped from the Trump tax cuts."
-- Patrick Flood, VTDigger, 13 January 2020

And others benefit from the Trump economy. Vermont's government wants to take for itself other people's shares too!

Truly have your cake and eat it.

Last edited:

Hawk

BG, it was very much confirmed that the US intelligence and our leader and his cabinet were the major force in the decision. Yes the other governments were saying the same thing but we were the train going down the tracks and it was discussed internally about the benefits of going over there. They needed the case to get approved by congress so they use all means available to get it done. What you don't think that Tony Blair and Bush were not talking behind the scenes about how this would benefit them later?

Orca

Trump Fans or Not, Business Owners Are Wary of Warren and Sanders

"Wariness extends far beyond an elite financial fellowship, though, to many small and medium-size businesses whose executives are not reflexively Republican but worry that the ascendancy of a left-wing Democrat would create an anti-business climate. In their view, sweeping plans to remake the health care system or slash the cost of higher education will mean higher taxes for businesses and the middle class, no matter what candidates promise."

-- NT Times, 17 January 2020

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
BG, it was very much confirmed that the US intelligence and our leader and his cabinet were the major force in the decision. Yes the other governments were saying the same thing but we were the train going down the tracks and it was discussed internally about the benefits of going over there. They needed the case to get approved by congress so they use all means available to get it done. What you don't think that Tony Blair and Bush were not talking behind the scenes about how this would benefit them later?

History repeating ?

thetrailboss

Staff member

deadheadskier

Staff member
Relatively small (42,000) Burlington just announced at $91.5 million school budget. Think about that and do the math.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/01/22/burlington-school-budget-calls-for-7-4-property-tax-increase-/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
That's pretty much in line with my town in NH. We have approximately 10k residents with an enrollment of 1100 students. Our school budget is $22.3M.

Performance per dollar would be an interesting study to see.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

Relatively small (42,000) Burlington just announced at $91.5 million school budget. Think about that and do the math.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/01/22/burlington-school-budget-calls-for-7-4-property-tax-increase-/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I always find it interesting how many people make an argument against funding schools. Funding education is in our best interest to further advance society. And I don't know about you, but living with smarter people is always a good thing.

We need our children to be educated to accurately evaluate and draw conclusions from factual information, now more than ever, as it seems that the current US government wishes to keep their voting base uneducated and misinformed, easy to manipulate.

BenedictGomez

Still not as bad as NJ (not that that is a good point of reference). My town in NJ (of about 18,000) has a $49M school budget. :-x

Most expensive in America, but at least our teachers are I think the 2nd highest paid (IIRC, Connecticut is #1).

In Vermont, teachers dont make crap, so where the hell's the money going?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.