• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Has Stowe gone groomer crazy

kingslug

Just spent 3 days at Sugarbush where conditions where great..and almost everything was open..and mostly ungroomed. Now im looking at Stowes trail report and most of the upper double d runs are closed and almost everything is getting groomed...
We have only been going there steadily for 2 years. Is this normal?..or is this Vail ??

JimG.

Staff member
Just spent 3 days at Sugarbush where conditions where great..and almost everything was open..and mostly ungroomed. Now im looking at Stowes trail report and most of the upper double d runs are closed and almost everything is getting groomed...
We have only been going there steadily for 2 years. Is this normal?..or is this Vail ??

I think you know the answer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not a Vail thing. They've always groomed a lot of their terrain. I moved there in 95 and it has been the case since at least then.

Only major changes since that time is they used to let Upper Hayride regularly bump up, especially before widening and regrading it around 98 and all of Upper Spruce was natural and ungroomed except for Sterling.

Consistent ungroomed terrain back then was:

Lower Gulch
Centerline
Upper Hayride (except for during UVM Super G training)
Lookout
Starr
Upper National and skiers left of Lower National
Skiers Right Tower 13 pitch on down for Liftline
Goat
Bypass
Waterfall
Chin Clip
Upper Smuggs
Main Street
Whirlaway

Sugarbush has always left more natural bumped up terrain than Stowe.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

Guess they also open harder terrain more than stowe as well..middle and lower goat not open yet..
SB has everything off the HG chair open

deadheadskier

Staff member
That has pretty much always been the case. SB being more aggressive opening thin cover terrain than Stowe. The difference was back in the day patrol didn't care about pouching nearly as much as they do today at Stowe. That started to change pre-Vail though.

cdskier

Guess they also open harder terrain more than stowe as well..middle and lower goat not open yet..
SB has everything off the HG chair open

Sugarbush is known for their patrol being very aggressive with opening terrain even with exceptionally thin cover. I'm a big fan of that.

Greg

Staff member
Sugarbush is known for their patrol being very aggressive with opening terrain even with exceptionally thin cover. I'm a big fan of that.

+1

slatham

I have found Stowe on numerous occasions being too conservative with opening steep/ungroomed terrain. I don't think they over groom however.

Sugarbush is more a skier/rider mountain, while Stowe is more a "vacationers" mountain. Skiers/riders you can trust to know their limits and how to survive when in over their ski's (HA!). Vacationers need to be protected from themselves.......

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not a Vail thing. They've always groomed a lot of their terrain. I moved there in 95 and it has been the case since at least then.

Only major changes since that time is they used to let Upper Hayride regularly bump up, especially before widening and regrading it around 98 and all of Upper Spruce was natural and ungroomed except for Sterling.

Consistent ungroomed terrain back then was:

Lower Gulch
Centerline
Upper Hayride (except for during UVM Super G training)
Lookout
Starr
Upper National and skiers left of Lower National
Skiers Right Tower 13 pitch on down for Liftline
Goat
Bypass
Waterfall
Chin Clip
Upper Smuggs
Main Street
Whirlaway

Sugarbush has always left more natural bumped up terrain than Stowe.

I was going to say that I recall them grooming a lot as well. Not that there is anything bad with that... ;)

kingslug

Well..it was very good today..but we were wondering why certain trails are still closed..yet completely covered. Upper national was open,but lower was not..lower looked pretty deep. I did find very good deep moguls by cutting into the s53...
Damn good day!

kingslug

Well..it was very good today..but we were wondering why certain trails are still closed..yet completely covered. Upper national was open,but lower was not..lower looked pretty deep. I did find very good deep moguls by cutting into the s53...
Damn good day!