• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dig your own parking space!

abc

Now that the fresh snows have all been groomed and packed, it's time to go cross country skiing. So I drove to the trail head, it was full! Ooops. :( Dashed out to the satellite lot and took the last available spot in the nick of time...

Actually, I passed another spot at the corner of the lot right by the entrance. But it was tight. I would had to drive half of car onto the not-yet-consolidated loose snow on the side of the snowbank which was neither plowed nor packed. So I said I'd pass and took the other (last) spot that's clear of snow (mostly).

So as I was changing into my boots and pants in the car, I saw more cars driving past up to the main lot, then returning to our lot and... I don't know what happened to most of them since our lot was by then full.

When I was finally ready to walk up to the trail head, I saw this car by the too-tight spot I left. This woman was pulling out of the car two pairs of skis and poles and laying them on the side of the snow bank...

Then, I caught sight of the tip of a dancing shovel!

So the guy was enlarging the parking spot that's too tight for a small car so their mid-size SUV could fit! He's already gotten most of way done at that point. It clearly would work!!!

Bravo for his ingenuity (and resourcefulness, not everyone carries a shovel in the car, even though we probably should). Still how often do you encounter a situation you can dig a parking spot for yourself? :)

kbroderick

Bravo for his ingenuity (and resourcefulness, not everyone carries a shovel in the car, even though we probably should). Still how often do you encounter a situation you can dig a parking spot for yourself? :)

a) If you're going skiing—or anywhere in the winter—without a good shovel in the vehicle, you're doing it wrong.

b) True 4x4 and snow tires trumps shovel in this case, because then you can just pack your own wheel ruts and be able to drive in and out without shoveling (just make sure you line the vehicle up so you can get out on the clear side)

c) in the event (b) doesn't work because there was something (like a small ditch) under the unpacked snow, refer to (a)

Cornhead

I bought a shovel with a telescopic handle when I went to Maine just in case I needed it, I didn't, but I keep it in the car in the winter. Thanks for the reminder, it's still in the basement.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app