• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ban on cell phones in VT

Orca

The bill's sponsor is using it to mock other restrictive laws. It is intended to be hyperbole.

bdfreetuna

Vermont is apparently leading the way in early adoption of 5G for rural areas (didn't want to spend the money on fiber so let Vermont be a testing ground for the telecoms). Problem is you need one of these things every so often short distance, pissing off a lot of people who suddenly find a small cell tower posted up next to their mailbox. And they probably don't give a rats ass about "the internet of things" and if their stove can communicate with their toilet.

So maybe they will get banned, we'll find out.

jaybird

Central VT fiber projects have made a great difference in meeting connectivity demands.
Less and less sat dishes (aka VT State Flowers) pointed at the sky.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The bill's sponsor is using it to mock other restrictive laws. It is intended to be hyperbole.

Exactly. And the "legalize prostitution" bill got a lot of press last week. Complete la-la land up there.

prsboogie

This was part of their mainstream news feed this past week in Burlington. As a parent of 11/13 yo's I actually love this idea. We have so many issues in our schools across the country and a large majority stem from cell phones social media and kids not having a clue about the long term effects of their instant actions. We refuse to buy phones for our kids and they are fine with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

This was part of their mainstream news feed this past week in Burlington. As a parent of 11/13 yo's I actually love this idea. We have so many issues in our schools across the country and a large majority stem from cell phones social media and kids not having a clue about the long term effects of their instant actions. We refuse to buy phones for our kids and they are fine with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

I forget how old my son was when we got him a cell phone, he was 14? I don;t know... He's 19 now.

Anyways, In middle school he got a good scare about repercussions of instant actions. Apparently a girl sent a selfie of her self in a bra to her boyfriend and that picture got floated around. A bunch of kids got in trouble for forwarding it. He never forwarded it. When other kids started getting in trouble he told us about receiving it because he was scared that he'd get in trouble. He was never questioned by the school and police, but he was scared shitless about it. It was a great teaching moment and I'm glad it happened without any issues on his/our end. He has a very small, that we know of, social media footprint.

skiur

Social media is here to stay and kids need to learn how to act on it. If you had a pool wouldn't you teach your kids to swim? Even if you tell them not to they are eventually gonna jump in.

Glenn

I always enjoy a good does of irony: Raising the smoking age to 21, where cannabis is legal...21. Now this "proposed" cellphone law. But hey, let's lower the voting age!

abc

TWe have so many issues in our schools across the country and a large majority stem from cell phones social media and parents not having a clue about the long term effects of their instant actions.
Like drugs, sex, guns, or backyard pools. Just because the parent didn't have it or do it when they were that age, doesn't mean their kid won't. They'll get their hands on some or ALL of them at some point.

Better monitor and discuss it in open than to pretend the kids won't touch it.

Hawk

I completely hate what cellphone use has done to society as a whole. You go anywhere and you look around and 95% of the people are looking down. It looks like your in a zombie movie.

I would love to invent a jammer and go around randomly and watch people loose their minds. LOL

BenedictGomez

We refuse to buy phones for our kids and they are fine with it.

When cellphones came to be, this was the majority opinion of parents.

The pendulum swung, first as a status symbol (I am SO well-off that my 8 year old has a cell phone!), then as a security measure on the belief that children having a cell phone confers some safety.

Personally, I believe whatever "safety" a 10 year old having a cell phone conferred is greatly erased by the myriad dangers they come with, but by high-school it seems just about every kid has one.

kbroderick

No kidding. I never saw that. I assume the government was afraid that 911 calls and other emergency's could be missed?

More likely they just decided to re-assert their power under existing regulations. While possessing jammers may have been legal (I think it probably was), using them—outside of some narrow windows like sensitive government facilities—was always a violation of federal law and/or regulations because you were interfering with duly licensed users of public airwaves, and the FCC has auction revenue at stake.

And yes, from a practical standpoint, the "what about 911 calls?" issue was raised, particularly when places like movie theaters had installed jammers. Whether or not that's as much of a real concern is up for debate (I mean, we did just fine without cellphones at all for a long time).