• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for ski resorts/mountains with a lot of greens and blues

Rb87

I've only been a dozen times and all of that has been at Smuggs due to a deal I found here like 6 years ago. So I figured I'd come back here since I've gotten good advice before.

I still haven't left Morse Mountain and can do all the trails there besides the black with confidence. Madonna and Sterling look scary from a distance.

Would appreciate any advice where I can ski those kinds of terrain but with maybe more trail offerings? There's only around 12 on Morse.

I'm willing to drive up to 4-5hrs from Northern RI.

This is next weekend if that matters. Less crowded the better.

Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly offer some advice?

mister moose

Okemo has lots of Blues, not sure their green terrain is that exceptional. It's ok, if you want a change of scenery and what could be the biggest crowd factor in VT. Next weekend is going to be crowded anywhere and everywhere most likely. Consider Butternut in the Berkshires if they get good recovery temps. Sunapee gets characterized as an easy hill, but I've never been there. Killington has a great long long green trail and a great dedicated beginner trail pod, but again, crowded next weekend. Bromley is fairly beginner friendly, and while it will be crowded too, it is off the Mega Pass highway and off many skier's radar.

Rb87

Okemo has lots of Blues, not sure their green terrain is that exceptional. It's ok, if you want a change of scenery and what could be the biggest crowd factor in VT. Next weekend is going to be crowded anywhere and everywhere most likely. Consider Butternut in the Berkshires if they get good recovery temps. Sunapee gets characterized as an easy hill, but I've never been there. Killington has a great long long green trail and a great dedicated beginner trail pod, but again, crowded next weekend. Bromley is fairly beginner friendly, and while it will be crowded too, it is off the Mega Pass highway and off many skier's radar.

Oh yeah MLK weekend. Didn't even think of that. I was actually looking at a rental right near Bromley, will have to check it out.

I do like long trails and steep enough to get some speed and would like to try some beginner glades. I'm comfortable around 30-35mph.

Ive heard Okemo is always packed, but is beginner friendly. Want to try Jay Peak some day, but even further than Smuggs.

Just checked Sunapee out and lots of blues, but the mountain height is similar to Morse so perhaps that's a good fit for my level

Edd

Oh yeah MLK weekend. Didn't even think of that.

If crowds are a remote concern, another weekend would be better. Christmas week, MLK weekend, President’s Day week. Those are to be avoided. That’s where ski areas make their $.

Rb87

Yeah perhaps I'll just wait until my Smuggs trip early February. Want to ski more than one trip a year.

Sunapee YouTube videos I saw made it seem tame. Maybe I'll take a day or two off during the week. I do a Thursday, Friday, Saturday trip usually and Thursdays are the best!

Sirbannedalot

Don't you have some small local hills near you? Seems kind of crazy to drive 5 hours to Smuggs to ride Morse.

Rb87

Don't you have some small local hills near you? Seems kind of crazy to drive 5 hours to Smuggs to ride Morse.

Going into Burlington for beers at night doesn't hurt.

It's like $150 per person for two nights stay and 3 days lift tickets. Haven't been able to find a deal like that around here.

I may try Sterling this year. The people I ski with are still afraid of going fast but they are my friends so I like to ski with them. Doesn't hurt that Morse lifts are right at my doorstep.

But yeah the drive is crazy

VTKilarney

Definitely Breton Woods if you want to try beginner glades. Of course we need snow...

Smellytele

Going into Burlington for beers at night doesn't hurt.

It's like $150 per person for two nights stay and 3 days lift tickets. Haven't been able to find a deal like that around here.

I may try Sterling this year. The people I ski with are still afraid of going fast but they are my friends so I like to ski with them. Doesn't hurt that Morse lifts are right at my doorstep.

But yeah the drive is crazy
Going to Burlington from Smuggs to drink beer seems like a long to drive for beer or to drive after drinking beer.

BenedictGomez

THIS

Southern Vermont is filled with less challenging skiing & has tons of what you're after.

Northern Vermont (Smuggs, Jay Peak, Stowe) features more challenging terrain. And I only point this out since you literally mentioned you're considering it, but Jay Peak is pretty poor for beginners & intermediates & has about the least of what you're seeking than anywhere.

tnt1234

Bromley would be a good choice. Stratton and Okemo as well. But they will be more crowded than Bromley.

I've skied Bromley on Pres. weekend and it was crowded but manageable.

tnt1234

And Mt. Snow would work. Again, will be packed MLK weekend...

I guess for S. Vt, for a day on MLK I would probably choose Bromley.

abc

I second Bretton Woods. It's quite beginner friendly. And although it’ll be busy on MLK weekend, it’s got a lot of trails to disperse them.

mikec142

Taking the MLK weekend crowds into account (and your willingness to drive), I'd consider Tremblant. Lots of long greens and a lot of things to do apres ski. Maybe being in Canada would offset the crowding.

prsboogie

I've only been a dozen times and all of that has been at Smuggs due to a deal I found here like 6 years ago. So I figured I'd come back here since I've gotten good advice before.

I still haven't left Morse Mountain and can do all the trails there besides the black with confidence. Madonna and Sterling look scary from a distance.

Would appreciate any advice where I can ski those kinds of terrain but with maybe more trail offerings? There's only around 12 on Morse.

We are about 30 minutes from each other, hopefully we can bump into each other someday for some turns.

I would hit Crotched on Saturday for a quick hit then head to Bromley Sunday, Stratton or Okemo for Monday.

As an aside, you will get many responses regarding the SoVT resorts, many of them negative in regards to how flat or slow they are. Many will ridicule choices of where people want to ski and what puts a smile on someone's face. What people seem to forget is skiing, and how it feels, is very individual and whatever makes an individual smile or feel happy is what it's all about. There's nothing wrong with cruising blues all day long with a giddy enthusiasm that people can have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

PaulR

I chose Okemo for my family vacation for this reason. My middle daughter is just a green/blue skier. Only 2 peaks, can't get too lost.

Jay: LOTS of fun greens on the bottom. Be wary, IMHO the two blues from the top on either side are borderline black/black at any other mountain.

Stratton has a ton of blue/green from the top. "Flatton" is it's nickname. My teenager called the blacks the "wimpy" and blue at any other mountain.

Smellytele

We are about 30 minutes from each other, hopefully we can bump into each other someday for some turns.

I would hit Crotched on Saturday for a quick hit then head to Bromley Sunday, Stratton or Okemo for Monday.

As an aside, you will get many responses regarding the SoVT resorts, many of them negative in regards to how flat or slow they are. Many will ridicule choices of where people want to ski and what puts a smile on someone's face. What people seem to forget is skiing, and how it feels, is very individual and whatever makes an individual smile or feel happy is what it's all about. There's nothing wrong with cruising blues all day long with a giddy enthusiasm that people can have.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

Crowds are my biggest complaint with soVT terrain is 2nd but if someone was looking for blues and greens they are good for that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone