• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

BenedictGomez

I'm pretty confident n.VT will see 7 to 12 inches, but the question is, will 7 to 12 inches be enough to get everything decent again after the "destruction" of late?

KustyTheKlown

based on pics today from smuggs and jay and the forecasts coming into agreement, i'm pretty comfortable believing that this weekend will have good to great snow in noVT. they got hit hard, but they didn't get reduced to grass the way southern vt did.

drjeff

I've now got triple Mount Snow this weekend. Me and my Full IKON were going to be Pico on Saturday and then Mount Snow Sunday and Monday, but I waited too long to get my daughter signed up for a race at Pico on Saturday, and the start list reached its 175 racer limit Sunday night, when usually a race doesn't fill up at all....

Guess I don't have to worry about driving back from Pico to Mount Snow now in the storm Saturday afternoon...

jaytrem

isn't silverton the fucking dreamiest?

I used to think so, but I just got home from Big Snow. From now on I only ski indoors!!! All joking aside, it is a great place to learn. Got the 6 day pass so that my kids can learn to snowboard without wasting VT or Western days. Place was pretty quiet, was there from 5 to 7. Snow was very good quality, only a tiny patch of ice at the very top.

BenedictGomez

I used to think so, but I just got home from Big Snow. From now on I only ski indoors!!! All joking aside, it is a great place to learn. Got the 6 day pass so that my kids can learn to snowboard without wasting VT or Western days. Place was pretty quiet, was there from 5 to 7. Snow was very good quality, only a tiny patch of ice at the very top.

I agree this would be fantastic, if not for the fact the minimum age is 7 years old, which kind of defeats the purpose for many. For instance, I plan on having my daughter on skis at either 2.5 or 3.5 years old (still need to research that more), but hopefully by the time she's 7 she'd be Big Snow'd out. Though I guess it would be nice to be able to take a 7 year old there in August for a session or two so they dont forget what they've learned by being off skis for 8 months.

drjeff

I agree this would be fantastic, if not for the fact the minimum age is 7 years old, which kind of defeats the purpose for many. For instance, I plan on having my daughter on skis at either 2.5 or 3.5 years old (still need to research that more), but hopefully by the time she's 7 she'd be Big Snow'd out. Though I guess it would be nice to be able to take a 7 year old there in August for a session or two so they dont forget what they've learned by being off skis for 8 months.
My 2 kids started at age 2, with a couple of weekends at Killington in I think it was called then their mini-stars program (then again who knows if it's still called that today and/or they're still getting 2yr olds on skis as that was 14 and 12yrs ago now... (Feeling old saying that as it seems like it was just yesterday I was trying to covertly spy on them on the carpets at the base of Ramshead!!)

Both of mine then did full seasonal programs for 3yr olds (cub camp) at Mount Snow, then their 4-6yr old program (Snow camp) and 2 years of their 7+ program (Mountain Camp) before starting on the race team, which is where they've been since (now aged 14 and 16)

Once they got to age 5 or 6, I strongly feel that they benefitted from the weekly programs, with the same basic "friends" and instructors, as seeing the same faces over and over and having a group of "ski friends" really helped them week in and week out wanting to ski, and even today, a decade or so later, has them with many very close ski friends, who they still ski with and has them still wanting to go up and ski every weekend. Something that my wife and I both truly appreciate, as well as something that opened up a much larger group of ski friends and social opportunities for us as well

While the concept of settling down and having a "home mountain" where you spend the bulk of your ski days every season at, may seem crazy at certain times in ones life, it can also be an integral part of raising children who truly love the ski culture, which is an awesome thing!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Where did you hear Big Snow is 7? There were some tiny kids there tonight on leashes. Maybe they were 5 at the most, doubt it though. I just figured it was free for 6 and under.

Quick research says they will be doing Camp Big fir kids 3 to 13.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

My 2 kids started at age 2, with a couple of weekends at Killington in I think it was called then their mini-stars program (then again who knows if it's still called that today and/or they're still getting 2yr olds on skis as that was 14 and 12yrs ago now... (Feeling old saying that as it seems like it was just yesterday I was trying to covertly spy on them on the carpets at the base of Ramshead!!)

Both of mine then did full seasonal programs for 3yr olds (cub camp) at Mount Snow, then their 4-6yr old program (Snow camp) and 2 years of their 7+ program (Mountain Camp) before starting on the race team, which is where they've been since (now aged 14 and 16)

Do you think they benefited learning-wise from starting at 2 or 3, or is it more a "cute" thing & convenient for the family (i.e. sort of like daycare so the parents can ski)? This is one of the things I'm most curious about.

Where did you hear Big Snow is 7? .........Quick research says they will be doing Camp Big fir kids 3 to 13.

My bad, I misunderstood based on a dumb assumption. I recall seeing that their lift tickets are for "7 & up", and I assumed that meant children younger were prohibited, because on that same lift ticket page it didn't say "under 7 is free", which you'd think they'd boast.

cdskier

My bad, I misunderstood based on a dumb assumption. I recall seeing that their lift tickets are for "7 & up", and I assumed that meant children younger were prohibited, because on that same lift ticket page it didn't say "under 7 is free", which you'd think they'd boast.

Maybe they already caught that omission and updated it? Right now it is pretty clear (but nowhere can I find any actual minimum age requirement)

Current wording on the Slope Access ticket purchase page:
"Valid for Ages: 7 & Up (Kids 6 & Under Free with an Adult Ticket Purchase)"

gmcunni

Wouldn't a place like Ski Cooper be a sensible Holiday escape from the masses? Dunno how CO is, but that's how it works in the east. On holidays you can usually find me at places like Plattekill.

probably but since i have my epic pass i'll be cheap and stick with vail properties this weekend. once i get away from the bottom the singles lines should be managable.

tnt1234

what are the cats supposed to get from this storm? And will it be enough to matter?

Sunday will be a zoo at hunter I would imagine.

drjeff

Do you think they benefited learning-wise from starting at 2 or 3, or is it more a "cute" thing & convenient for the family (i.e. sort of like daycare so the parents can ski)? This is one of the things I'm most curious about.

Age 2, 100% "cute" thing in terms of actual skiing ability the following season. Although it did have both of my kids asking regularly the follow Summers if we could go skiing, so on that level, the time on snow at age 2 "planted the seed" that skiing is fun.

Age 3, 100% technical skills were learned AND retained for moving forward. By the end of their 3yr old seasons, both kids were making wide track, linked, parallel turns down intermediate terrain, and able to comfortably ride chairlifts with adult supervision.

Age 4 is when they're learned love of skiing, plus their competitive side, plus the way Mount Snow runs their 4-6 year old Snow camp program really turned them into solid skiers who could basically ski anything on the mountain. The Snow camp program puts colored bibs on the kids from yellow for never evers, then red for basically magic carpet only, green for starting to ride lifts and linking turns to blue for starting to make parallel turns and finally purple for linking carved, parallel turns. The quest to get to purple really resonated with my kids and is something to this day still gets brought up in conversation with them...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

That would be a yes
...For the Winter Storm Warning, moderate to heavy snow
expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 10 inches. Winds gusting as high as 30 mph. For the Wind Chill Advisory, very
cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as low as 25 below zero.

I think winter has returned....................................

drjeff

Even currently have a slight dusting on grassy surfaces in the hills of Northeast CT this morning! Winter is trying to return!!