• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

Killingtime

6" on top of man man snow can make for a fun morning, but this weekend it will all be blasted in an hour I suppose.

My only chance is Sunday this weekend. We don't close for the holiday, so its a regular weekend for me. Might try catskills if the Sat. storm hits, but boy, Hunter is gonna be a jam packed shit show and Belleayre really got clobbered by the torch. and it looks like Platty is essentially closed....like three trails survived....

Haven't been to Hunter in many years and was thinking about it for Monday MLK day. I may just suck it up and go with the flow and deal with the crowds. I'll wait till Sunday to see the trail count

MG Skier

Yeah, it will be a tough call for me, might wait until Monday. I might be taking ownership of a re-homed dog on Sunday, the owners are driving it into New England for me. Saturday might have to be the clean the house day and ski on Monday. I will probably hit up Magic, and bring my rock skis to switch into if I feel adventurous!
LET IT SNOW ALREADY:snow:

gmcunni

I think i'll try Breckenridge for a day trip Monday. shit show crowded i'm sure but hoping it breaks up around lunch as the people there for long weekend get on the road. Forcast for monday looks pretty good - Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

BenedictGomez

I think i'll try Breckenridge for a day trip Monday. shit show crowded i'm sure but hoping it breaks up around lunch as the people there for long weekend get on the road. Forcast for monday looks pretty good - Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Wouldn't a place like Ski Cooper be a sensible Holiday escape from the masses? Dunno how CO is, but that's how it works in the east. On holidays you can usually find me at places like Plattekill.

jaytrem

Wouldn't a place like Ski Cooper be a sensible Holiday escape from the masses? Dunno how CO is, but that's how it works in the east. On holidays you can usually find me at places like Plattekill.

I skied Cooper one Saturday of a President's Weekend (maybe 10 years ago). Max lift line was maybe 5 chairs. Need to get back to check out the new terrain and t-bar.

GregoryIsaacs

I posted in an earlier thread to no avail. Which of these mountains are considered the safest bet for avoiding weekend crowds:

• Vail
  • Breck
  • Keystone
  • Loveland
  • Abasin

Cornhead

I skied Cooper one Saturday of a President's Weekend (maybe 10 years ago). Max lift line was maybe 5 chairs. Need to get back to check out the new terrain and t-bar.
Good to hear Jay, I'm headed to CO probably in March. I plan on an exclusively Freedom Pass trip. I figure two days at Purgatory, then probably a day each at two of the three others on the pass, Cooper, Hesperus, and Sunlight. Sounds like Cooper should be one of the them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

It's been a while but I've skied Breck, Keystone and Loveland on weekend (Vail & A-basin too, but late season, so not good info). Loveland had the least lines, especially if you work your way to the right. Breck and Keystone were very crowded, but both had paces that weren't terrible. All the way at the back of Keystone had almost no waiting (Outback lift or something like that). For Breck, Peak 10 the t-bar had bascially no wait. The 2 fixed grip doubles were also not too bad, like 5 min if I remember correctly. This was before Peak 6 went in. I'll be at A-basin on the 26th, first mid-winter weekend day there, so will report back.

jaytrem

Good to hear Jay, I'm headed to CO probably in March. I plan on an exclusively Freedom Pass trip. I figure two days at Purgatory, then probably a day each at two of the three others on the pass, Cooper, Hesperus, and Sunlight. Sounds like Cooper should be one of the them.

That should be a great trip! Hesperus is small, might want cruise down there for some afternoon/night skiing after Purgatory. Still mad that I had to drive right past Hesperus during a big dump. We were afraid they would close the road to Silverton. Sunlight is real nice too.

I'm all Ikon this year, plus maybe some night skiing at Keystone, Howelson and Echo.

KustyTheKlown

isn't silverton the fucking dreamiest?

when we went last year there was ~20 foot high avalanche debris on both sides of the road with fully grown trees snapped and embedded in the debris like peanuts in a snickers bar.

abc

I posted in an earlier thread to no avail. Which of these mountains are considered the safest bet for avoiding weekend crowds:

• Vail
  • Breck
  • Keystone
  • Loveland
  • Abasin
Loveland!

Don't know if you're buying day tickets. Loveland is also cheaper than the others.

But if you're buying day ticket and are indifferent to the price, perhaps the Vail mountains with the holiday blackout on the Epic Local pass, would actually be less crowded than say, Abasin?

GregoryIsaacs

Loveland!

Don't know if you're buying day tickets. Loveland is also cheaper than the others.

But if you're buying day ticket and are indifferent to the price, perhaps the Vail mountains with the holiday blackout on the Epic Local pass, would actually be less crowded than say, Abasin?

This is for the end of Feb/first week of March so no EPIC blackout dates. Have half price tickets at Abasin and Loveland. We would prefer to keep Loveland for a mon/tuesday to truly have the mountain/free cat skiing to ourselves.

KustyTheKlown

non holiday i wouldnt be overly concerned about any of them. just be careful with driving up and down 70. its a crawl on a saturday morning. the mountains do a pretty good job at spreading the crowds.

KustyTheKlown

depends where you are. if you are in northern vermont, its a powder day. anything north of 2/89 is going to get 8"+ between now and thursday. i would not be at all surprised to see double digits. then they get another 8"+ w/possible double digits sat into sun.

i'd be way less optimistic about killington and points south

abc

Ok, I guess I'll hold on and wait to see how much the mountains get by Thursday afternoon.

I'm holding a pretty darn expensive hotel reservation for the weekend in northern NH. I have till Thursday 6pm to decide if it'll be worth keeping it.

Yes, I know I sound greedy. But last time a powder day was forecast (New Years eve), the 10" fell on bare rocks. While it was fun dodging rocks, this weekend I'll be doing it at double the lodging cost! :(