• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

abc

I'm sure that it had absolutely nothing to do with it being EPIC now.
As sure as I’m that every crowded day is due exclusively to it being on EPIC now!

Surprisingly, at Wildcat I was able to find chairs to sit and table to eat my lunch at, even though the line for food was 10 deep (which I find “too long”). And a family who just arrived (at 11:30) was equally surprised she was able to find parking as some early bird had started leaving!:roll: Absolutely something to do with being on EPIC now! ;)

Last edited:

tnt1234

I've never seen a food line like I saw yesterday at the Overlook edge at Bell.

We skied from 8:50 to 1:45 with a break for our brown bag lunch, so we had no need for it, but at 2 when I was packing up to leave, the food line went from the order counter, past the cashiers into the seating area, around the condiment table, back into the food service room, back to the food service counter.

Honest to god, it had to be an hour long - I just can't imagine standing in it.

With all the crowds' nd the parking nightmare stories we heard, the cars parked on teh side of the road a mile form teh lodges lift 7 was maybe 5 minutes and tomahawk was ski on.

Gondi singles line was maybe ten and the super chief singles was 10-15. Not terrible really.

xlr8r

I'm sure that it had absolutely nothing to do with it being EPIC now.

3mmqec.jpg

I guarantee it would have been the most crowded day I have ever seen at Sunapee without Epic as well. It is MLK weekend which is when the mountains are filled with non pass holders.

Last edited:

Los

As sure as I’m that every crowded day is due exclusively to it being on EPIC now!

Surprisingly, at Wildcat I was able to find chairs to sit and table to eat my lunch at, even though the line for food was 10 deep (which I find “too long”). And a family who just arrived (at 11:30) was equally surprised she was able to find parking as some early bird had started leaving!:roll: Absolutely something to do with being on EPIC now! ;)

What?! Wildcat was absolute pandemonium yesterday. An EPIC disaster.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bretton Woods ran out of parking apparently as well. BW not on Epic or Icon.

Perfect weather, day after a storm, holiday weekend = massive crowds no matter what.

I was surprised to read Crotched stopped selling tickets. It for sure was very busy by their standards, but I still found room in the lodge for my son and I when we needed it after maybe a 2-3 minute wait each time for a table to clear.

Glad the resorts made some money. Hopefully they turn that green into lots more snowmaking in the coming weeks to build up for a great February and March.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Bretton Woods ran out of parking apparently as well. BW not on Epic or Icon.

Perfect weather, day after a storm, holiday weekend = massive crowds no matter what.

I was surprised to read Crotched stopped selling tickets. It for sure was very busy by their standards, but I still found room in the lodge for my son and I when we needed it after maybe a 2-3 minute wait each time for a table to clear.

Glad the resorts made some money. Hopefully they turn that green into lots more snowmaking in the coming weeks to build up for a great February and March.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Don’t underestimate the effect the recent poor skiing has had on us diehards. I am sure some of us went out this weekend because of finally having good snow whereas we would usually sit out MLK.

drewfidelic

Don’t underestimate the effect the recent poor skiing has had on us diehards. I am sure some of us went out this weekend because of finally having good snow whereas we would usually sit out MLK.

Yep. MLK weekend has always been a shitshow. But, since I haven’t been out at all in January yet, I hit Hunter yesterday. I can’t remember the last time on a non-powder day that the line for the Flyer was out of the corral before opening. But it also wasn’t any worse than Hunter usually is on a busy holiday weekend. And there were no lines on Zephyr or North (mostly because most of the terrain wasn’t open). Claire’s was open at the top (above where Alternate comes in), but the middle didn’t have any snow. And it’s not so much that North has taken snowmaking focus away from West, because nether Twilight nor Annapurna have seen a drop of snowmaking (thanks to all the rain).

KustyTheKlown

Far northern indies are the move. Far from people. No mega passes. Plenty of indies closer to Boston and NYC and Montreal for other people thinking indie thoughts to go to. Not many make the drive to the end of the road.

danimals

5f726ad7cac3dbf34065c5eca904ce78.jpg

I know it’s a busy weekend and all that but photos of lift lines are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Sunapee was the most crowded I have ever seen it today. ......It guarantee it would have been the most crowded day I have ever seen at Sunapee without Epic as well. It is MLK weekend which is when the mountains are filled with non pass holders.

So this is the first time Sunapee's been open on MLK weekend?

crazy

So this is the first time Sunapee's been open on MLK weekend?

Like others have said, yesterday was the perfect storm: MLK weekend + powder + lack of (particularly) weekend powder/not a great season so far. Maybe Epic/Ikon had some effect on the margins, but it would have been a crazy day regardless. Thanks to blackouts and people with passes being slightly more hardcore skiers who know to avoid holiday, I would guess that the proportion of skiers yesterday who used an Epic or Ikon Pass was a decent deal lower than your typical midwinter weekend.

Tonyr

There was no lines on MLK day at Stowe. The conditions were excellent as well.