• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

kingslug

Wondering who will recover best from this last torching event. The resorts that blow the most but get less natural or points North which may have a good storm coming. Going to be interesting, all those people sliding around.
Thoughts?

abc

I'd prioritize the least crowded mountain.

I would aim for mountain that gets good natural up north, as most mountain with a lot of "blowing" capacity tend also be crowded destination resorts.

Smellytele

I'd prioritize the least crowded mountain.

I would aim for mountain that gets good natural up north, as most mountain with a lot of "blowing" capacity tend also be crowded destination resorts.

At this point ( still far out) is seems to be an eastern storm. Cannon is showing 90% chance of snow Saturday as is Pats peak and Wildcat but sugarbush and Stowe are showing only snow showers...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

Thats the dilemma...My pass is for Stowe but they don't blow a lot..and will be very crowded.
Not a fan of holiday skiing but what the hell. Killington is also an option as they can blow a ton

KustyTheKlown

Ah the weekly kingslug questionable decision

I would avoid epic/ikon destinations like the plague this weekend, and north/East is king

I’ve got a room reserved in Lyndon and hopefully will storm ski jay Saturday and leftovers at Burke Sunday. Nickle-dime snows tues weds and Thursday, potential big storm sat>sun

abc

Forecast is for "some" snow midweek in the northern sector. So I'm optimistic the northern mountain will be back to pre-thaw position.

The southern mountain had lost much of the early snow they made. So they don't have a huge advantage over the northern mountains.

One option is go north with some less crowded mountains in mind. If the storm materialize, you're golden. If the storm fizzle out, well, at least you won't have to battle the crowd.

The mega-pass resorts are going to be more crowded than indis. And the situation will be intensified on a holiday weekend. That's just something I'm resigned to. Fortunately for me, I have cross country to fall back on.

Ah the weekly kingslug questionable decision
Equally guilty here. :oops: Add me to that same "weekly decisions" too... After all, that's the freedom and flexibility I have when I'm not locked in by flights, hotel and rental car 2 months in advance. ;)

Last edited:

slatham

Weekend storm has serious potential to be a major event lets say north of I90 as of now. Where the heaviest bands set up is TBD. Just need to watch, and I would suggest NOT using pretty phone apps to do so.

cdskier

I would avoid epic/ikon destinations like the plague this weekend, and north/East is king

Ikon Base is blacked out this weekend...so that will at least give those resorts a bit of relief from some of the Ikon passholders.

MEtoVTSkier

Forecast is for "some" snow midweek in the northern sector. So I'm optimistic the northern mountain will be back to pre-thaw position.

Mid-week snowfall looks like it is going to be more like dust-on-crust, 2-3" by looks of the forecasts. Tomorrow on, with the exception of Wednesday day, will be much, much colder, good for snowmaking recovery. Doubt anyone will be back to pre-thaw conditions by the coming weekend. Those with the best snowmaking will be in a better position to capitalize on next weekends snow, if they can make their surfaces so that it doesn't fall on glare ice. Otherwise, with the cold temps, it may be skied off quickly. Lots of dirt showing out there. Crazy weather this year for sure.

drjeff

But it will be an EPIC one... :)

Stowe is blacked out Saturday only this weekend for the Epic Local passes, and since those of us who upgraded from Peak passes to Epic passes don't get buddy tickets this year... If the Peak masses now on Epic locals want to make a full 3 day weekend at Stowe, they're having to shell out for Saturday's ticket....

KustyTheKlown

i usually go west this weekend and am regretting that i haven't made that plan this year

i recall last year for MLK a buddy reported traffic delays over 90 min getting up the stowe access road. i want to say a truck jack-knifed and fucked everything up? + big snow.

even with the ikon blackout, i'm still avoiding k/sugarbush/stratton this weekend. just too popular to roll the dice with on a holiday weekend after a fuck thaw.

SnowRock

Stowe on the mountain during the week between Christmas and New Years wasn't that crowded... even after we got some of the sloppy storm and conditions improved. Was also a Epic local blackout period. I know then later that week as conditions continued to improve it got more crowded than it was during the holiday crowd period.

kingslug

Considering the crowd that showed up to Stowe on the 5th for a storm that barely delivered..This weekend could be nuts if the storm comes. Its going to take a lot to cover that ice. Last year I was in JH...think that will be the plan for now on..

Smellytele

I will be somewhere between here and Florida Thursday evening to Monday night so no skiing for me this weekend . Driving a car down and driving another one back for my in-laws

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

crazy

Loon, Killington, Mount Snow, and Stratton are by far the best places to go over MLK weekend. Why would you go anywhere else?

skiur

Loon, Killington, Mount Snow, and Stratton are by far the best places to go over MLK weekend. Why would you go anywhere else?

Killington actually isnt that bad, plenty of places to avoid the crowds there. Yes, k1,bubble,ramshead,ans SpQ will have ridiculous lines, but if you ride the canyon, bear chair, needles, superstar, Snowdon triple etc, you can avoid those crowds pretty easily....hopefully the snow happens on saturday and opens up the unmarked and there will be plenty of room....just dont go to the bar.