• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

mister moose

Killington actually isnt that bad, ...just dont go to the bar.
Pro tip:

Ski down to Snowshed, catch the shuttle to Mountain Green, Hops On The Hill opens at 3pm for a pint and some wings and nachos, shuttle back to the hill.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
My plan is for Mon Tues Wed next week at K.

Other than that I'll be scraping around at Belleayre Wed and Fri this week.

The actual weekend is going to be a clusterf*ck.

TyWebb

Deciding if I should head up to Vt from Bucks Cty Pa for two days.

I’m thinking of Mon Mt Snow and Tues K with my son. Have never skied Vt on MLK weekend and hoping Monday at Mt Snow won’t be too terrible. Assuming that will be the lowest volume day

slatham

I’m thinking of Mon Mt Snow and Tues K with my son. Have never skied Vt on MLK weekend and hoping Monday at Mt Snow won’t be too terrible. Assuming that will be the lowest volume day

Gonna be cold Monday, that will scare off the tourists......

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington actually isnt that bad, plenty of places to avoid the crowds there. Yes, k1,bubble,ramshead,ans SpQ will have ridiculous lines, but if you ride the canyon, bear chair, needles, superstar, Snowdon triple etc, you can avoid those crowds pretty easily....hopefully the snow happens on saturday and opens up the unmarked and there will be plenty of room....just dont go to the bar.

Correct, when K is 90%-100% open and all the lifts are spinning it's extremely manageable crowd-wise (as long as it's not a top 5 busy day). It gets it's reputation of being crowded from the days of 1 million+ skier visits annually which was supported by a lift network with half the capacity as today. Just don't do anything stupid like try to ski Great Northern or go down to the K1/Skye Peak Quad at 11am.

machski

We'll be at Sunday River, they are blowing a ton right now including Lost Princess in Oz. With Oz quad open, always a good option on peak days to ski on/off lift. They may even get to Eureka too by the weekend. And plenty of other snow being blown around. Nats/woods are closed for now but I'm hearing they weren't destroyed and we have a decent frozen base on those to work off of. 8-10 inches and many should open back up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tonyr

I've skied the last 4 years on MLK weekend in VT. Once at Stratton and Killington and twice at Stowe. Saturday and Sunday is really busy Monday on is not so bad. Saturday is definitely going to be the worst day.

Tony

tnt1234

6" on top of dirt or blue ice isn't going to do anything. Wait til after Saturday, gonna need someone to get 14-18"+ to make anything worth skiing again, imo.

6" on top of man man snow can make for a fun morning, but this weekend it will all be blasted in an hour I suppose.

My only chance is Sunday this weekend. We don't close for the holiday, so its a regular weekend for me. Might try catskills if the Sat. storm hits, but boy, Hunter is gonna be a jam packed shit show and Belleayre really got clobbered by the torch. and it looks like Platty is essentially closed....like three trails survived....

abc

Last year I was in JH...think that will be the plan for now on..
I always do my first western trip in January, precisely for that reason.

Not necessarily on MLK weekend though, as I had passes that are blackout. MLK weekend is often my “rest” weekend after the madness of Christmas-New Year. (I’ve skied Christmas out west & in Japan the last 4-5 years). MLK weekend is too close to New Year for me to pull a second “away” trip. So I rest and plan for a trip in late January-early February.

TyWebb

I've skied the last 4 years on MLK weekend in VT. Once at Stratton and Killington and twice at Stowe. Saturday and Sunday is really busy Monday on is not so bad. Saturday is definitely going to be the worst day.

Tony
Now thinking of staying local in Pa, Elk Sunday and Blue Monday.

Though snow is forecasted in Vt and it’s only Tuesday, with the amt of terrain currently open it may make really crowded into ridiculously crowded. Travel time and expense may not be worth it for those long lift waits. Game time decision maybe and depends on lodging availability but right now Pa mts will probably be the call.

keyser soze

Ah the weekly kingslug questionable decision

I would avoid epic/ikon destinations like the plague this weekend, and north/East is king

I’ve got a room reserved in Lyndon and hopefully will storm ski jay Saturday and leftovers at Burke Sunday. Nickle-dime snows tues weds and Thursday, potential big storm sat>sun

Not sure if it's been posted further down in the thread, but Ikon is blacked out for base pass holders, so I would think that would actually reduce the crowds, all other things being equal.

crazy

Not sure if it's been posted further down in the thread, but Ikon is blacked out for base pass holders, so I would think that would actually reduce the crowds, all other things being equal.

Agreed. The reason that resorts on the Ikon Pass will be extremely crowded is simply that they are some of the "premiere" resorts in New England, so they tend to get very crowded during holiday weekends. The Ikon Pass being blacked out helps to reduce crowds, all else being equal, but that loss will be wayyyyy more than offset by the holiday weekend crowds.

The Sneak

How big is the sat storm gonna be ? Will Berkshire East or Magic get enough snow from it? Day tripping from RI, can’t get way up north this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

Monday is already the most quiet day of MLK weekend. Cold Monday won’t stop people from skiing Saturday and Sunday, especially with Sunday a powder day

slatham

Half of Stowe is closed..going to need a lot to get it open..this weekend will be pretty jammed up.

From experience I'll bet lots and lots is closed because its a bit too firm for those "epic" tourists. They are expecting 2 storms >6" and most terrain will open.