• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mlk

ScottySkis

When is NY going to expand 87 to 3 lanes? Seems crazy to me that's it's still two lanes up to Albany

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cold out so everyone should be cranking out great amount of snow

Add up all our tolls paid from NYC which close to 20$ a trip for crossing Hudson River 1
Corrupt people here in our lovely state so much should be fixed and maintain 5000X
Better than it is

Killingtime

Heard the NYS Thruway was jammed as well
Glad I didn't take the Thruway coming down from Hunter yesterday. Hopped on the Taconic and not much traffic at all. Hunter wasn't that bad FYI. Definitely icy but not as crowded as I expected. The new trails looked great except they were icy af. Twilight closed and under the guns. I'll be back in a few weeks.

2Planker

The Cat got 18" (Thurs & Sat) and the lines were minimal on Sat.
No lines for Sunday & Monday !!!!!

Glenn

1d956be9a1ffdc238f72b33ca62225fd.jpg

8bef9582da0db890be446522726d190c.jpg

Screen caps from Stratton on Saturday at 1pm-ish. Actually not as bad as I thought considering the volume of traffic on 91North Friday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

When is NY going to expand 87 to 3 lanes? Seems crazy to me that's it's still two lanes up to Albany

Opened in 1960, has the same number of lanes in 2020, despite the huge population increase in the last 60 years.

Well done New York State.

But hey, at least NY spends it's residents paycheck money on important things like movie studios, solar light factories, and (poorly) running ski resorts.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/15/cuomos-10b-economy-boost-results-in-broken-promises/

kingslug

Try 15 in CT..The Grand Prix run of CT. 2 lanes..pretty much no speed limit as there is no where for cops to hide or pull you over.

cdskier

Opened in 1960, has the same number of lanes in 2020, despite the huge population increase in the last 60 years.

Well done New York State.

But hey, at least NY spends it's residents paycheck money on important things like movie studios, solar light factories, and (poorly) running ski resorts.

Considering that this is the main road many people use to get to their own ski resorts, you'd think they'd have a vested interesting in wanting to actually make sure it can handle the volume.

NJ may have some pretty shitty roads and waste a lot of money, but at least we've also widened many of our major highways over the years.

x10003q

I ask this same question all the time...Very bizarre to have such a major north/south route out of the NY metro area still only be 2 lanes for that distance for all these years.

I drive to Albany from NJ occasionally for business during the week and there is rarely traffic above Exit 16, day or night. They should expand the Thruway to 3 lanes between Exit 16/Woodbury toll and Exit 17 Newburgh/I-84. This would help with Friday nights northbound and Sunday nights southbound.

The one good thing the the Emperor Mario Cuomo did was make sure all the bridges between NJ and Albany are ready for 3 lanes of traffic when they replaced the bridges in the 1980s.

prsboogie

I’m glad I’m taking Tuesday off so didn’t have to head home today. Would had been stuck in the traffic at 91.

Here at North Conway this morning, there’s still more traffic heading north than heading south. So a lot of people are still skiing today. (Bitterly cold and windy as hell up here)
Skied Attitash on Monday until around 2 - the early morning ~11 wasn't too bad but the winds kicked up pretty good after that and digits started to freeze. We did the two down and in until 2 and split. Never really hit traffic until Rte 3 on 495 and again at 290. Neither was too bad, maybe 5 -10 extra minutes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Wouldn't the feds have some involvement as it's an Interstate?

Not sure, but the NJ Turnpike's recent $2.5B widening project from exits 6-9 was supposedly fully funded by the NJ Turnpike Authority according to the project FAQ. And that's officially part of I-95. I have a feeling maybe on tolled roads that the feds relegate more control/responsibility to the agency collecting the tolls.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, Sunday River was not mad house this weekend. Sure, some lifts had lines (Jordan on Saturday which I would have avoided if Oz Quad didn't act up on its day 1 then Oz on Sunday with an electric power issue affecting Jordan in the morning) but all in all as usual, easy to find a lift or area with minimal to no wait. Coming home on 93 through Concord and the NH tolls took a bit. Really hope if the state widens 93 through Concord, they widen the electronic toll lanes to three a side first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
All toll highways should be like Mass. Zero cash collection points and fully electronic. It's ridiculous they are installing hybrids like we have in NH on 95 in Maine currently.

kingslug

Leave..either reeeeaaal early saturday..or deal with the shit for half the ride up after work friday and get first chairs...i like first chairs

1dog

So much for the death of the ski industry...

Reason #1 - a good economy with pretty good confidence it will remain strong.

Reason #2 - It snowed and warmed on Sunday - the old saying of more business up north when in snows in southern NE holds true.

Reason #3 - no northeast teams ( Pats/Giants/Jets/Eagles) in playoffs.