• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak First Time Skiing Black Diamond

Tyler_Walsh

Hello,

I will be skiing Jiminy Peak this MLK weekend 2020. I am a strong skier that can shred down all of the blues there, but I have yet to attempt any of the blue-black trails or any of the black trails there (mostly out of fear). Anyone have any recommendations for which black diamond to try there first as a good introduction to black diamonds?

Thank you for your time.

mister moose

I'd do that when conditions are good, a steep icy run is no place to build confidence.

spiderpig

Conditions should be good on Sunday. Definitely start on a blue-black. They're all pretty similar except Catacombs (which probably won't be open). Ace of Spades would be the easiest black if it doesn't have a terrain park, then I guess Upper Whirlaway just because it's the shortest and has a flat spot before Lower Whirlaway.

PaulR

x2 on conditions, that makes more of a difference.
I'd rather ski a black in great conditions rather than blue in icy conditions.
IMHO a black is often no more steeper than a blue, it just sustains that steepness longer throughout the trail.
If you are "shredding" all the blues, you should have zero problem with most blacks.
Last thing: One mountains blacks is another mountains blues, and vis a vi.
Jay has black that are NUTS.
Stratton has blacks that should be blue.

KustyTheKlown

if you are asking about whether you are able to ski blacks at jiminy peak, you are not a "strong skier"

good luck progressing.

bdfreetuna

I would rather ski Jericho with snowmaking and a fresh groom over Cutter if it's icy bumps. Let the conditions guide you, not the trail ratings.

Also I would just man up and ski Jericho anyway, it's kind of steep for a short while but stick to the left side and you should be able to find something for your skis to grip.

How are the edges on your skis?

NYDB

x2 on conditions, that makes more of a difference.
I'd rather ski a black in great conditions rather than blue in icy conditions.
IMHO a black is often no more steeper than a blue, it just sustains that steepness longer throughout the trail.
If you are "shredding" all the blues, you should have zero problem with most blacks.
Last thing: One mountains blacks is another mountains blues, and vis a vi.
Jay has black that are NUTS.

Stratton has blacks that should be blue.

Double blacks even

urungus

Start with some blue trails to assess the conditions. If it is icy, wait for another day. If conditions are good, try Upper Fox next.

dblskifanatic

If you are concerned about black trails the key is to make good turns and remember when all else fails you can ski across the fall line which will flatten the run. Once you feel more comfortable then you can make adjustments. Oh and make sure the trail is not bumped.

Also repetition on a single trail helps a lot.

Biggest mistake - thinking black trails are the same at all ski areas the rating is specific to the resort.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

flakeydog

if you are asking about whether you are able to ski blacks at jiminy peak, you are not a "strong skier"

good luck progressing.

Welcome to the "elite" levels of the sport.

Tip #1 - find out where he goes and be sure to go somewhere else...

abc

Welcome to the "elite" levels of the sport.

Tip #1 - find out where he goes and be sure to go somewhere else...
You'll be fine as long as you stay away from "all of the blue runs" he'll be "shredding down" :grin:

Oh wait, he's asking about the black runs... :(

Tip #2 - See tip #1

Greg

Staff member
ooof.

so much for dispelling the douchey skier stereotypes.

Yeah, really. The OP will likely look back one day when he's moved on to all sorts of challeging terrain and chuckle at his own question, but no need to harsh on the guy. I think we've all been at one point during our years skiing where we asked or thought about similar questions. I love the passion.

Anyway, good responses. Don't get hung up on ratings. Challenge yourself as much as conditions will allow. It's the only way to improve.

ironhippy

It's funny how perceptions change.

I started skiing again after a 20 year break in 2012.

I felt comfortable at the local hill that I had skiied as a kid.
In 2013 I went to Quebec and skiied Mount Saint Anne. That first trip I was scared and felt overwhelmed.
Less than a year later I returned and the exact same terrain was fine and I skied it all without hesitation.

A few years later I ended up in Colorado in early December. The first day was terrifying. By the 3rd day I was riding all the bowls and summit lifts I could find. The same terrain that scared me a few days before was now "easy".

However this can be dangerous as it can lead you into a false sense of security...

Tyler_Walsh

Yeah, really. The OP will likely look back one day when he's moved on to all sorts of challeging terrain and chuckle at his own question, but no need to harsh on the guy. I think we've all been at one point during our years skiing where we asked or thought about similar questions. I love the passion.

Anyway, good responses. Don't get hung up on ratings. Challenge yourself as much as conditions will allow. It's the only way to improve.

I've been skiing for just over a year. I'm 21 and grew up in Vermont with several quality mountains within an hour drive of me. I come from a family of old skiers (haven't done it in 20+ years). They all grew up in Wyoming and their home mountain was Jackson Hole. They talked about the black diamonds there and some sounded very scary as a new skier. My step dad was a ski instructor at Stratton a long time ago so he has given me a couple lessons, but other than that I have been self-taught.

I ski mostly by myself now and I think just hearing the stories of the JH blacks created this large mental block that stopped me from attempting black diamonds.

I appreciate your positive response. A day or so after I posted this I actually went to Jay Peak and rode several black diamonds on the Jet Chair side. I felt very confident going down them and didn't struggle at all. Yesterday I went to Jiminy Peak and rode all of the open black diamonds and even went down Jericho, their double black diamond.

I really enjoy the sport and can't wait to develop my skills even more.

slatham

I've been skiing for just over a year. I'm 21 and grew up in Vermont with several quality mountains within an hour drive of me. I come from a family of old skiers (haven't done it in 20+ years). They all grew up in Wyoming and their home mountain was Jackson Hole. They talked about the black diamonds there and some sounded very scary as a new skier. My step dad was a ski instructor at Stratton a long time ago so he has given me a couple lessons, but other than that I have been self-taught.

I ski mostly by myself now and I think just hearing the stories of the JH blacks created this large mental block that stopped me from attempting black diamonds.

I appreciate your positive response. A day or so after I posted this I actually went to Jay Peak and rode several black diamonds on the Jet Chair side. I felt very confident going down them and didn't struggle at all. Yesterday I went to Jiminy Peak and rode all of the open black diamonds and even went down Jericho, their double black diamond.

Way to hit it. You're already better than most on this forum and they've been skiing for decades!

Bandit2941

You’ve got the right attitude. I started when I was 19 now I’m 36 and I can ski pretty much anything anywhere at anytime. Keep at it, the biggest thing is lots of practice and lots of miles. I’ve been seeing 50+ days a year since I started so that helped a lot.