• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak First Time Skiing Black Diamond

Greg

Staff member
I've been skiing for just over a year. I'm 21 and grew up in Vermont with several quality mountains within an hour drive of me. I come from a family of old skiers (haven't done it in 20+ years). They all grew up in Wyoming and their home mountain was Jackson Hole. They talked about the black diamonds there and some sounded very scary as a new skier. My step dad was a ski instructor at Stratton a long time ago so he has given me a couple lessons, but other than that I have been self-taught.

I ski mostly by myself now and I think just hearing the stories of the JH blacks created this large mental block that stopped me from attempting black diamonds.

I appreciate your positive response. A day or so after I posted this I actually went to Jay Peak and rode several black diamonds on the Jet Chair side. I felt very confident going down them and didn't struggle at all. Yesterday I went to Jiminy Peak and rode all of the open black diamonds and even went down Jericho, their double black diamond.

I really enjoy the sport and can't wait to develop my skills even more.

Thanks for the follow-up. And glad you're loving it!