Crystal open letter addressing heavy crowds - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    as a southcentral PA resident who's local hill got bought by Epic I have no choice... My epic pass will pay for itself with the 1 trip I took out west and 1 trip I have planned to Stowe. My wife loves Okemo, so we'll probably go there once this year too. That doesn't even count all of the days I ski "locally" so for me and many others (Central PA, Baltimore, DC) who ski the southcentral PA resorts. Epic is so much better. It'll be interesting to see if Ikon tries to purchase a feeder hill or two in the Mid-Atlantic. Not really anything they've done so far.

I'd love to take a trip to Steamboat again and take my family. That'd probably result in a situation where I'd buy an Ikon and Epic pass in the same year. Then I am basically covered in Vermont with all of the places I like to ski. Okemo, Killington, Sugarbush, and Stowe
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 19
    Ski Visits in VT
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 23

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23, 12/20 (LR), 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/26 (LR), 12/27 (LR), 12/28, 12/30 (LR), 12/31 (LR), 1/2 (LR), 1/3 (LR), 1/5, 1/17 (LR), 1/18, 1/20, 1/24 (LR)

Breckenridge 1/9,1/10
    Keystone 1/11
    Arapahoe Basin 1/12

LR=Lunch Runs

Anyone here ski Crystal? It looks damn amazing. I actually lived in WA, skied Stevens Pass regularly and Mt Baker only once. I was unaware of Crystal, but this was ‘99-‘01. I didn’t even hit Whistler during that period.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I’ve been to crystal three times in the past 5 years.

Southback and northway are epic terrain pods that pass the Pepsi challenge with anyplace I’ve been

Issue is the snow levels. You can get smacked with rain or super thick concrete snow.

I’ve had incredible days there, and some not so incredible.

Staying at the base is chill, because there’s so few beds and bars, everyone winds up at the snorting elk and it’s the classic ski bar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    as a southcentral PA resident who's local hill got bought by Epic I have no choice...
    This is why the Ikon/Epic debate is moot, imo. AZ is a disproportionately large amount of skiers who commute farrrr to the mountains (looking at you Krusty, lol). If I lived in Stowe I have to get an Epic Pass. No question. That's instant loyalty for life if I've got a house or family there.

In very few industries can you buy a consumer's permanent brand loyalty. But these passes are doing that. If Alterra purchased Catamount they'd have a competitive edge over the NYC market til Vail buys Butternut. Now that competitive edge is erased. But if Alterra buys Stratton...and you live in/near/have ties to Startton, you're going to buy an Alterra/Stratton pass for the rest of your life (or at least be extremely unlikely to switch to another mountain).

I think that's why Vail waited so long to enter the Northeast market. Rather than know that thousands of people are loyal to them forever (locals) they're threatened by whatever Ikon's next move is, which could get the "commuter skier" going somewhere else.

Most of us who live away from the mountains have choice between Ikon/Epic. But many do not and will forever be brand loyal to the corporation that owns their local mountain.
    2019-2020 19 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23 Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Yes and no.

How many Stowe skiers live in Stowe? Even for Burlington residents, they can choose between Sugarbush or Stowe. Same with Okemo vs Stratton except those who have condo AT the base of one or the other. For those, their royalty had long been chosen. To “their” mountain. The change is the management. They don’t have to like the mew management. But the mountain are the same.

Personally, I would have trouble buying in a mountain, knowing full well its ownership and management could change. Worse still, if your mountain could go bankrupt But that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Yes and no.

How many Stowe skiers live in Stowe? Even for Burlington residents, they can choose between Sugarbush or Stowe. Same with Okemo vs Stratton except those who have condo AT the base of one or the other. For those, their royalty had long been chosen. To “their” mountain. The change is the management. They don’t have to like the mew management. But the mountain are the same.

Personally, I would have trouble buying in a mountain, knowing full well its ownership and management could change. Worse still, if your mountain could go bankrupt But that’s just me.
    What often happens is one buys into a mountain for what the mountain offers and appeals to them.

One often stays at a mountain, regardless of ownership changes, because of the community of friends they meet there over time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23 (Mount Southington)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    What often happens is one buys into a mountain for what the mountain offers and appeals to them.

One often stays at a mountain, regardless of ownership changes, because of the community of friends they meet there over time

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    Yes I was thinking of you when I wrote my post. And Hawk. And Cdskier. And Machski. And the many many more that I've left out that have fallen in love with one mountain and wouldn't ski elsewhere.
    2019-2020 19 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23 Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    This is why the Ikon/Epic debate is moot, imo. AZ is a disproportionately large amount of skiers who commute farrrr to the mountains
    Not really. Very few skiers as a sum of the whole live on top of their ski destinations. Most have to travel at least a bit. The large city populaces are the markets these passes truly covet, for most, IKON or EPIC is a choice, not a no-brainer. Especially for the thousands buying these passes primarily for the 1 week they'll be using them.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Yes I was thinking of you when I wrote my post. And Hawk. And Cdskier. And Machski. And the many many more that I've left out that have fallen in love with one mountain and wouldn't ski elsewhere.

Thread Information