• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steamboat Jan 12th - 14th (pics)

Edd

Mostly will let the photos speak for themselves. I’m aware Steamboat is not everyone’s fave but, they’ve got some real snow here. It was an awesome 3 days.

IMG_3620.jpgIMG_3624.jpgIMG_3625.jpgIMG_3635.jpgIMG_3641.jpg

JDMRoma

Awesome Pics, Love Steamboat ! Miss it dearly ! The trees are spaced so nicely !

Edd

It’s a good time to visit with the Jet Blue direct from Boston flights that started last year, especially if you’re an Ikon Pass holder. Ticket was $300. This is the second year in a row I’ve gone because it’s such an easy trip with a short drive from Hayden.

I don’t plan to have an Ikon Pass next year so it may be a long time before I return.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Smellytele

Looks fun. My kid may go to school out in Colorado in a couple of years. Wants to be a forest fire fighter in the summer and ski patrol in the winter. We’ll see. But I would love to explore a little more out side of summit county and southern CO.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Awesome. Hope you liked the new gondola. It is fast. And did you go to Strawberry Park Hot Springs?

Edd

Awesome. Hope you liked the new gondola. It is fast. And did you go to Strawberry Park Hot Springs?

The hot springs stuff doesn’t interest me. Someone told me the new gondola cut the ride time by 4 minutes, which is amazing.

skiberg

How were the lift lines? Thinking of going in a few weeks and heard the lines have been horrendous

Edd

How were the lift lines? Thinking of going in a few weeks and heard the lines have been horrendous

Sunday was a 30 minute wait at the gondola when we arrived at 8:30. That’s bad but you only do that once. Also it was a pow day. The upper lifts were 5 minutes or less.

Monday and Tuesday it was much better. This is college week but pretty mellow generally.

The food and margaritas at Los Locos are a must hit for Mexican food fans.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The hot springs stuff doesn’t interest me. Someone told me the new gondola cut the ride time by 4 minutes, which is amazing.

10-4. I do still recommend checking it out if you reconsider. These were really awesome. https://strawberryhotsprings.com/

Yes, that Gondola is amazing. I got to use it the first two days it was open and then it went down....for almost two weeks and over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Massive fail for Doppelmayr.

Tonyr

The conditions look great, I don't know how anyone couldn't have fun in that! Some of those photos look like they are from the Christmas Tree bowl area.

Edd

Nice pics Edd! Where did you end up staying?

We stayed at The Lodge at Steamboat. This was a trip with 3 friends who ski/ride frequently and I actually had to be talked into going. I’m so glad I gave in. The place was a 9 minute walk to the gondola.

big_vert

It's a great hill - don't know why it doesn't get a lot of love- somewhat like Keystone. Maybe because there's not a lot of pucker terrain. Usually lots of uncrowded off the Pony Express lift with lots of personality on the trails - dart in and out of trees. The 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock tree - love 'em. Have to schedule another trip back. Fantastic terrain

Oh, that's right, Easterners don't go west for the terrain. Almost forgot.

abc

Oh, that's right, Easterners don't go west for the terrain. Almost forgot.
They go west for the snow!

You totally prove my point. You can easily get the same terrain in the east. But you don't get the snow in the east day in and day out.