Steamboat Jan 12th - 14th (pics) - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    You can easily get the same terrain in the east. But you don't get the snow in the east day in and day out.
    My only motivation to move out west would be for the vastly better terrain options.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    We stayed at The Lodge at Steamboat. This was a trip with 3 friends who ski/ride frequently and I actually had to be talked into going. I’m so glad I gave in. The place was a 9 minute walk to the gondola.
    I stayed at one steamboat place when I was there, didnt suck at all. I definately shed a few tears when my brother sold the condo 2 years ago.
    Beautiful area and chill town, wouldnt hesitate to go back given the chance !

Quote Originally Posted by JDMRoma View Post
    I stayed at one steamboat place when I was there, didnt suck at all. I definately shed a few tears when my brother sold the condo 2 years ago.
    Beautiful area and chill town, wouldnt hesitate to go back given the chance !
    Yeah, One Steamboat Place was looking real good to me. If my wife had come and was making the lodging decisions, we probably would have ended up there. I was jumping on the bandwagon my friends already set up, and I was thankful for it.

Agree on the vibe of the area. I prefer it to some other places. Tahoe is my personal favorite, as far as that goes.

Never been, but my son stayed in a cabin there. I'd be nervous sleeping there, checkout the snow on the roof!MVIMG_20190222_160940.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    My only motivation to move out west would be for the vastly better terrain options.
    The terrain options are better out west, the east really doesn't have any lift served bowl skiing which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. I will say that if the snow is good I've had just as much fun skiing the east as I've had anytime out west. (and didn't have to get on a plane) The problem with the east is the variable weather, it could snow 2 feet then pour down rain 3 days later ruining everything. We have to book our VT trips in advance then cross our fingers and hope for the best weather wise. Steamboat and the resorts out west really don't have that problem.

We love Steamboat! We ski on April 1st two years ago on a Warren Miller comp and got an 8 inch pow day with nothing groomed and it was amazing snow. Snow gods have been treating Colorado very nicely the past two seasons. Another 8-18 inches coming. Bad thing it is MLK weekend so it will get busy on the roads and the resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    ... I’m aware Steamboat is not everyone’s fave but,...
    why? what's wrong with Steamboat? i haven't been there in 35 years but i'd like to get back, i recall loving it.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2019/20
    Breck - 12.26 12.27 1.4 1.26 2.17
    Keystone - 1.12
    Monarch - 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    why? what's wrong with Steamboat? i haven't been there in 35 years but i'd like to get back, i recall loving it.
    It lacks the volume of challenge that many places have. There’s a ton of low angle tree skiing. I personally love that stuff. There’s steeps there, just not a ton. The morningside area is great but short vert.

Thread Information