• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steamboat Jan 12th - 14th (pics)

JimG.

Staff member
You can easily get the same terrain in the east. But you don't get the snow in the east day in and day out.

My only motivation to move out west would be for the vastly better terrain options.

JDMRoma

We stayed at The Lodge at Steamboat. This was a trip with 3 friends who ski/ride frequently and I actually had to be talked into going. I’m so glad I gave in. The place was a 9 minute walk to the gondola.

I stayed at one steamboat place when I was there, didnt suck at all. I definately shed a few tears when my brother sold the condo 2 years ago.
Beautiful area and chill town, wouldnt hesitate to go back given the chance !

Edd

I stayed at one steamboat place when I was there, didnt suck at all. I definately shed a few tears when my brother sold the condo 2 years ago.
Beautiful area and chill town, wouldnt hesitate to go back given the chance !

Yeah, One Steamboat Place was looking real good to me. If my wife had come and was making the lodging decisions, we probably would have ended up there. I was jumping on the bandwagon my friends already set up, and I was thankful for it.

Agree on the vibe of the area. I prefer it to some other places. Tahoe is my personal favorite, as far as that goes.

Cornhead

Never been, but my son stayed in a cabin there. I'd be nervous sleeping there, checkout the snow on the roof!MVIMG_20190222_160940.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Tonyr

My only motivation to move out west would be for the vastly better terrain options.

The terrain options are better out west, the east really doesn't have any lift served bowl skiing which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. I will say that if the snow is good I've had just as much fun skiing the east as I've had anytime out west. (and didn't have to get on a plane) The problem with the east is the variable weather, it could snow 2 feet then pour down rain 3 days later ruining everything. We have to book our VT trips in advance then cross our fingers and hope for the best weather wise. Steamboat and the resorts out west really don't have that problem.

dblskifanatic

We love Steamboat! We ski on April 1st two years ago on a Warren Miller comp and got an 8 inch pow day with nothing groomed and it was amazing snow. Snow gods have been treating Colorado very nicely the past two seasons. Another 8-18 inches coming. Bad thing it is MLK weekend so it will get busy on the roads and the resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

why? what's wrong with Steamboat? i haven't been there in 35 years but i'd like to get back, i recall loving it.

It lacks the volume of challenge that many places have. There’s a ton of low angle tree skiing. I personally love that stuff. There’s steeps there, just not a ton. The morningside area is great but short vert.

big_vert

Apparently you've either never been there, or you're delusional.

big_vert

They go west for the snow!

You totally prove my point. You can easily get the same terrain in the east. But you don't get the snow in the east day in and day out.

Apparently you've either never been there, or you're delusional. Name any ONE resort with the same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB. Just one.

Glenn

We stayed at The Lodge at Steamboat. This was a trip with 3 friends who ski/ride frequently and I actually had to be talked into going. I’m so glad I gave in. The place was a 9 minute walk to the gondola.

Thanks Edd! My wife and I have been talking about going out West. Looking into a bunch of options at this point.

Tonyr

"Apparently you've either never been there, or you're delusional. Name any ONE resort with the same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB. Just one."

Let's assume that the weather is "on" in the east, I've had more fun at Stowe from a challenge perspective than I did at Steamboat or my most recent trip to Keystone. The terrain at Stowe is tougher than what you'll get at either of those places especially when you factor in the side country. I would say the same about Sugarbush challenge wise versus Steamboat or Keystone.

Tony

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
The terrain options are better out west, the east really doesn't have any lift served bowl skiing which I'm not a huge fan of anyway. I will say that if the snow is good I've had just as much fun skiing the east as I've had anytime out west. (and didn't have to get on a plane) The problem with the east is the variable weather, it could snow 2 feet then pour down rain 3 days later ruining everything. We have to book our VT trips in advance then cross our fingers and hope for the best weather wise. Steamboat and the resorts out west really don't have that problem.

As a retiree I can pick and choose my ski conditions in the east. When it's good I ski until it's not good anymore. Which is why the terrain out west would be much more of a draw for me than the snow.

big_vert

"Apparently you've either never been there, or you're delusional. Name any ONE resort with the same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB. Just one."

Let's assume that the weather is "on" in the east, I've had more fun at Stowe from a challenge perspective than I did at Steamboat or my most recent trip to Keystone. The terrain at Stowe is tougher than what you'll get at either of those places especially when you factor in the side country. I would say the same about Sugarbush challenge wise versus Steamboat or Keystone.

Tony

"same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB".

Steeps? What about trees? trail character? Size?, length? snow quality (on a bad day SB is waaaay better than any least coast berm),

It's easy to pick ONE item that one area in NE MIGHT be better, but that wasn't the question, was it?

big_vert

"Apparently you've either never been there, or you're delusional. Name any ONE resort with the same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB. Just one."<br>
<br>
<br>
Let's assume that the weather is "on" in the east, I've had more fun at Stowe from a challenge perspective than I did at Steamboat or my most recent trip to Keystone. The terrain at Stowe is tougher than what you'll get at either of those places especially when you factor in the side country. I would say the same about Sugarbush challenge wise versus Steamboat or Keystone. <br>
<br>Tony
<br>
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);"> <br>"same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB". <br><br>Steeps? What about trees? trail character? Size?, length? snow quality (on a bad day SB is waaaay better than any least coast berm), <br><br>It's easy to pick ONE item that one area in NE MIGHT be better, but that wasn't the question, was it?</span>

crank

We just got back from Steamboat last night. 1/10-1/17. Great snow! Great timing! Great trees and bumps.

We took a day off and did the Strawberry hot springs after skiing 3 straight days.

We got to gondola line around 8:30ish Sunday. Took singles line and timed it at 22 minutes. Thought it would be over an hour by the size of it. Problem was the other way up, a chair was down with an electrical issue.

Morningside had longest lines all week and those were not bad. Met a lot of Denver, Ft. Collins, Boulder folks there Saturday and Sunday. Weekdays were pretty empty

Tonyr

"same amount and character of terrain on the least coast as SB".

Steeps? What about trees? trail character? Size?, length? snow quality (on a bad day SB is waaaay better than any least coast berm),

It's easy to pick ONE item that one area in NE MIGHT be better, but that wasn't the question, was it?
Wasn't it said earlier that the knock on Steamboat was the lack of challenging terrain? Don't get me wrong I loved skiing there and Keystone (where I just got back from) for that matter but there are mountains on the east coast that have much more lift served challenging terrain than what Steamboat and Keystone have which is why I mentioned Stowe and Sugarbush in that regard among others.

I was at Mad River Glen (which is the mountain next to Sugarbush) today and launched off a few steep rock bands and a frozen waterfall all on inbounds trails. You won't find that type of terrain at Steamboat unless you hike to it.

Tony20200118_111819.jpg20200118_100717.jpg

Sent from my SM-T860 using AlpineZone mobile app