• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flight conundrum, non-stop vs connection, with a twist

abc

It's a "happy" conundrum. I'm going to Whistler in about 2 weeks.

I can fly non-stop, with a once-a-day foreign airline (Cathy Pacific). Or a 1-stop with a "major" (Air Canada or Delta) which has a lot of flights daily.

The direct flight has the advantage of... well, direct! No chance of miss connection or losing luggage during the connection. Normally, that's what I ALWAYS do. This flight also happen to have the best timing for my liking (leave after work, back in early morning in time to get to work)

But, flying with an airline that only has one flight per day, if there's a weather event, my options are pretty limited.

Granted, that same scenario also applies to the majors. If there's weather in the northeast, I'll just have to wait for the weather to pass. But Delta and Air Canada fly into multiple airports around NYC. So I can ask to jump on a flight at Newark when JFK is socked in, etc.

In my many trips out west in the last 5-6 years, I've seen my share of weather delays. It's not something to disregard. "Keeping fingers cross" lose its meaning after the 3rd or 4th delay, even if it's over 5 years.

Also, this being Whistler complicates thing a bit. I'm not renting a car. So I'm confined in Whistler. If I have to stay longer, I will also need to pay $100+/day for lift tickets on top of the additional lodging (whatever I can find at that point). Leaving early? I don't get a refund of the unused hotel either. So there's strong motivation to leave within 12 hr of my original ticket.

(Prices are within $100 or each other, once bag fees are counted)

Opinions welcome. :)

jimmywilson69

I never fly with connections when I'm taking my ski equipment.

I also would be a little concerned about the foreign airline's once a day flight

I'm no help sorry...

Edd

I’d roll the dice on the direct flight. If there’s a legit bad delay, perhaps switch airlines and either get a refund or use the delayed flight value within a year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

abc

I never fly with connections when I'm taking my ski equipment.

I also would be a little concerned about the foreign airline's once a day flight

I'm no help sorry...
Since I can't decide based on logic, I decide it's time to solicit thoughts processes on what others think. Even if their situation may not be the same, it may provide food for (my) thoughts. :)

abc

I’d roll the dice on the direct flight. If there’s a legit bad delay, perhaps switch airlines and either get a refund or use the delayed flight value within a year.
I really "like" the idea. Though reality being, they don't fly to too many destinations within north America.

But they do fly to Japan! :)

Jersey Skier

i'd fly the major airline. Luggage can get delayed either way. Flying direct to Bozeman to ski Big SKy over 70 passenger's luggage didn't arrive at the other end. My Wife's bag being one of them. The only bright side was that the airline reimbursed a whole ski outfit for my son and a clothing for both of them, no questions asked. It probably took months to receive, but a check for close to $1200 covered everything.

Not sure you'd get anything but an apology from the other airline. I'm looking at flights now to Jackson and since there are no directs, I plan on being f'd.

jimmywilson69

Yeah I guess I did fly with connections to Jackson last year. I forgot...

Small regional Jet > O'hare > Jackson

I had no problems

I did switch planes in Midway once on Southwest to meet up with my buddies who were flying from a different airport.

That being said I prefer to fly direct, not just for skiing, all of the time.

I'm still no help :lol:

crank

I fly out west a couple times each winter and lately to Europe once r twice a year as well.

Winter travel can be a real crap shoot and it is best to keep your options open. I say go with an airline that will have more options than once a day direct. Only time in the past 10 years an airline has lost one of my bags they delivered it to our hotel at Big Sky before 5AM the next morning.

I usually carry on my boots and mittens, goggles, etc. so if skis don't make it it's easy to rent for a day or so. Our current trip to Steamboat I actually checked my boots. Airline aps will actually let you know where your bags are so you can tell if they got loaded onto your connecting flights.

Boxtop Willie

Speaking as a 200,000 miles a year flyer. Fly direct on Cathay. Its a great airline. Any winter flight risks weather issues with the majority being on the destination end (or the aircraft not being able to get to your airport of departure) and all the airlines will be affected. The Cathay aircraft will already be there, having come in early that morning. If by chance there is a mechanical issue on the Cathay flight you can have them "Rule 240" the ticket and they will book you on another carrier for no additional cost.
And once you fly Cathay you will never want to fly a US legacy carrier again.

KustyTheKlown

from what i've heard cathay is swank. i'd go with teh direct. one less city's weather to worry about. one less transfer of your gear to worry about.

slatham

Cathy is a very major and well respected airline. The best out Hong Kong. Just not as known in US unless you do a lot of international travel. Cathy direct - not even a question.

abc

I’m not so much worry about the airline itself. Just the fact there’s only one flight a day. And not being a North America based airline, it obviously won’t have many planes they can redirect from other routes.

what is “”Rule 240”?

KustyTheKlown

sounds like that would not obligate them to rebook her on another airline for weather issues. i'd still go with the direct flight tho.

SnowRock

Done whistler twice.. both times flew direct form JFK on Cathay Pacific. Definitely a really nice airlline and experience. Had no issues flight wise with weather... though we did almost get stuck up at Whistler on one trip. And the first trip was pre-Olympics/sea-to-sky widening so the drive up at night, in our rental was sketch as F as it started puking snow about an hour outside of Vancouver. Was easily the deepest 3 days of riding I ever had.

Bosco DaSkia

how much does a policy like that tend to cost?

Here is my recent quotes

DBD0EE6E-69CD-48BC-9271-9F959CB47A6A.jpg

3BB7CCC9-12A4-4318-8FC3-8C13D0609FF0.jpg

regular individual trip insurance will run about 6% of the trip cost. That can add up if you travel frequently. if you take more than two trips a year, it’s worth it to check out an annual policy.