Flight conundrum, non-stop vs connection, with a twist - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Sure. But you left out “profit margin” from your list of “whatsoever”!

I’ve seen it in budget airlines where they simply cancel the flight and made their passengers wait for 3 days!

You can believe your way. I’ll make my decision on what my believe.
    If you mean will a certain carrier make a customer service based decision and keep a scheduled flight going even if the load is insufficient to be profitable? That's not one of the criteria I referred to and yes, you are right in that regard.

That was machski’s point that convinced me. The flight’s final destination is Hong Kong. They have every financial incentive to fly instead of cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    That was machski’s point that convinced me. The flight’s final destination is Hong Kong. They have every financial incentive to fly instead of cancel.
    Bingo

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

The odds of a complication involving connections is greater than the odds of a complication with the Cathay flight. You made the right call.

The flight involving connections involves worrying about not just the weather in New York City, but the weather at the locations that airplane is coming from before coming to New York City and the weather at your connection airport. It is also risking other reasons for delays at those other airports. A weather delay for a flight coming from Hong Kong and Vancouver is not a huge risk, at least as far as snow is concerned. You need to double that risk when you are taking a connection because you don’t just need one flight to be operating on time, you need two flights to be operating on time. Then you have the problem of transferring your bags from one flight to another, etc.

While Cathay Pacific may not have as many options to accommodate you if there is a problem with your scheduled flight, the odds of a problem with the Cathay Pacific flight are less than half of the odds of a problem when you were take a connecting flight. And, to be frank, if there is bad snow in New York it’s going to be a shit show one way or the other.

Been sweating it out the last couple of days. Damn that coronavirus! The travel embargo in Asia is scary.

The incoming flight have left Hong Kong!

My chance of catching the virus has shot up just like the plane too.

Sounds like it's time for the surgical mask. Hopefully you can find one in stock...

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    Sounds like it's time for the surgical mask. Hopefully you can find one in stock...
    Can't see myself wearing it for the whole 6 hr flight.

So not super motivated to go hunting for masks. Will just have to trust my own immune system.
    Last edited by abc; Jan 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

Rip

lol
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Ski Roundtop
    11/16, 11/17, 11/23, 12/20 (LR), 12/21, 12/22, 12/23, 12/26 (LR), 12/27 (LR), 12/28, 12/30 (LR), 12/31 (LR), 1/2 (LR), 1/3 (LR), 1/5, 1/17 (LR), 1/18, 1/20, 1/24 (LR), 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/14 (LR), 2/15, 2/16, 2/28 (LR), 2/29, 3/1, 3/2 (LR), 3/5 (LR), 3/6 (LR), 3/7, 3/8, 3/13 (LR), 3/14
    Breckenridge 1/9,1/10
    Keystone 1/11
    Arapahoe Basin 1/12
    Montage Mountain 1/27, 1/28
    Stowe 2/7, 2/8, 2/9
    Killington 2/22
    Okemo 2/23, 2/24

LR=Lunch Runs

Good decision that you chose Cathay. When possible, I go out of my way to fly them, they operations are leaps and bounds better than US carriers, better flight products too. The odds that you get delayed because of their own operation is super low comparing to US carriers who frequently mess up. It will be very unlikely your travel will be interupted because of weather at YVR. So weather at JFK is your main concern.

And if delays do happen, they may be able to book you on America or Alaska as they are partners.

You can always get a dust mask at home depot..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information