• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rented a car for 6 days for $180. Also looked at prices for SLC in April and the same car from the same agency was $335 for one less day. Dpnt understand why a tiny town in the middle of nowhere costs half of what a major city does but whatever.

What dates in April? You might have hit LDS Conference Weekend (April 4-5)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

April 7-12. SLC and Denver always have batshit insane rental prices. Just surprised Jackson doesn't.

BenedictGomez

What dates in April? You might have hit LDS Conference Weekend (April 4-5)

We went into SLC this April just to check out the science museum & that mall with the brook that runs through it. Anyway, I had no idea MDUD (Mormons Descend Upon Downtown) was even a thing, and holy crap, got stuck in that traffic, parking was near impossible, Mormons in their uniforms crossing streets everywhere. Think: all men in white shirts & all women look like they stepped off the set of Little House On The Prairie. And I literally mean THOUSANDS of them. Wound up parking on the street somewhere & was lucky to find a spot because the garages were all full. It was crazy.

Skrn

We skied Big Sky right before new year. Planned to skied 6 days but cut the trip short to 4 days and drove back to Utah. When we were there, almost everything else was open except Lone Peak and headwater area. Lone peak had only one way down and headwater had 3 chutes open. I have to say that the terrain outside of Lone Peak and headwater area are pretty plain. There are good tree runs and moguls but nothing memorable and exciting. The long peak/headwater area is what makes Big Sky big. If most of them are not open (as it is the case now), I wouldn't drive there. Spend more time at JH.

Skrn

For rental car, use autoslach.com which will automatically check if there is cheaper price for rental car. If you start refreshing way ahead of time you can find good price.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We skied Big Sky right before new year. Planned to skied 6 days but cut the trip short to 4 days and drove back to Utah. When we were there, almost everything else was open except Lone Peak and headwater area. Lone peak had only one way down and headwater had 3 chutes open. I have to say that the terrain outside of Lone Peak and headwater area are pretty plain. There are good tree runs and moguls but nothing memorable and exciting. The long peak/headwater area is what makes Big Sky big. If most of them are not open (as it is the case now), I wouldn't drive there. Spend more time at JH.

From what I saw when we visited in October, it felt like a bigger version of Sunday River (a lot of terrain spread across a mountain range offering like 1,500 vert runs) with like the Matterhorn dropped right in the middle of the area. From what I could see I agree with your assessment--only Lone Peak really made it look badass, the other terrain, while a lot of it, was not really too impressive and only offered maybe like 1,500 foot vertical or so continuously. They of course advertise the vert from the top of Lone Peak to whatever lowest base they had--nobody is going to lap that per se.

Whitey

From what I saw when we visited in October, it felt like a bigger version of Sunday River (a lot of terrain spread across a mountain range offering like 1,500 vert runs) with like the Matterhorn dropped right in the middle of the area. From what I could see I agree with your assessment--only Lone Peak really made it look badass, the other terrain, while a lot of it, was not really too impressive and only offered maybe like 1,500 foot vertical or so continuously. They of course advertise the vert from the top of Lone Peak to whatever lowest base they had--nobody is going to lap that per se.

Couldn't disagree more. They have sections of the mountain that are the size of an entire large northeastern ski resort and they are just small parts of the ski area. I explored and skied the Shedhorn and Dakota area for 2 days and never got bored. Big Sky is so big that you have to be smart about how you approach it. You've got to set aside most of a day to just explore and enjoy different sections of the mountain. Hardly anyone goes to the Morningside area and yet there is tons of stuff hidden in the trees and interesting runs sprinkled all over there. Lone Peak is badass yes, but it's not the only place there that is. There's a whole lot of stuff off of the challenger chair is pretty pucker inducing and none of that touches Lone peak.

I would be so bold as to say that if you skied Big Sky and didn't find it "interesting", you did it really wrong. It was one of the most fascinating and challenging places I've skied in my life. 10 out of 10 that I will be back. . .

Last edited:

Zand

We went into SLC this April just to check out the science museum & that mall with the brook that runs through it. Anyway, I had no idea MDUD (Mormons Descend Upon Downtown) was even a thing, and holy crap, got stuck in that traffic, parking was near impossible, Mormons in their uniforms crossing streets everywhere. Think: all men in white shirts & all women look like they stepped off the set of Little House On The Prairie. And I literally mean THOUSANDS of them. Wound up parking on the street somewhere & was lucky to find a spot because the garages were all full. It was crazy.

I left SLC on April 2nd last year and will be arriving on April 7th this year. Guess I lucked out with missing this by a couple days two years in a row without even knowing about it.

Skrn

Bigger version of Sunday River! This is so spot on for Big Sky (minus lone tree/head water of course). Haha. I heard the best way to get vert in one run is to go from lone peak to north summit field to great falls all the way to madison base, which seems to be a good option when things are open.

Skrn

Couldn't disagree more. They have sections of the mountain that are the size of an entire large northeastern ski resort and they are just small parts of the ski area. I explored and skied the Shedhorn and Dakota area for 2 days and never got bored. Big Sky is so big that you have to be smart about how you approach it. You've got to set aside most of a day to just explore and enjoy different sections of the mountain. Hardly anyone goes to the Morningside area and yet there is tons of stuff hidden in the trees and interesting runs sprinkled all over there. Lone Peak is badass yes, but it's not the only place there that is. There's a whole lot of stuff off of the challenger chair is pretty pucker inducing and none of that touches Lone peak.

I would be so bold as to say that if you skied Big Sky and didn't find it "interesting", you did it really wrong. It was one of the most fascinating and challenging places I've skied in my life. 10 out of 10 that I will be back. . .

Well, we hired a guide to show us around for a whole day. He had 11 seasons at big sky, skied every run there. He showed us all sorts of powder stash, and took us to some challenging terrain that was open, including a headwater chute, and a line from lone peak. That probably should be considered "did it right". That day was my best day during the 4-day stay at big sky. But man, it still felt plain comparing to fully opened Alta/Bird. There are some entertaining moguls runs and tree runs but nothing exciting. Not a single run bring memorable that I wanted to hit again. Some headwater chutes and Big/Small Couloir do look bad ass. But the rest, not so much. At least comparing to Alta/Bird which i skied both before and after Big sky

thetrailboss

Staff member

Again, I was not skiing--just drove up and checked it out on a trip to Montana. My point was that it was more of a resort that is spread out over a large area instead of a "single big mountain". I do want to ski it though. Hopefully soon.

tnt1234

Dakota area at big ski is fantastic if you like an area that is a 1200 vert gladed area with a ski on lift. I found that are to be incredibly memorable. Tons of lines skiers left or right....

Also, Powder Chaser bowl area was super fun, and of course headwater chutes are memorable.

All over the lower mountain were awesome tree runs - like 2-3 great ones off every lift. Weren't pucker worthy down low, but they were beautifully spaced, rolling terrain, memorable to me.

And the lift off the 8 pack, skiers right - forget what it's called....lone wolf, or something? Had bumps top to bottom on some seriously steep pitches.

I found the place to be memorable.

Skrn

Dakota area at big ski is fantastic if you like an area that is a 1200 vert gladed area with a ski on lift. I found that are to be incredibly memorable. Tons of lines skiers left or right....

Also, Powder Chaser bowl area was super fun, and of course headwater chutes are memorable.

All over the lower mountain were awesome tree runs - like 2-3 great ones off every lift. Weren't pucker worthy down low, but they were beautifully spaced, rolling terrain, memorable to me.

And the lift off the 8 pack, skiers right - forget what it's called....lone wolf, or something? Had bumps top to bottom on some seriously steep pitches.

I found the place to be memorable.

Yes, the top to bottom bumps at lone wolf chair is good. There are 1-2 tree runs off ramcharger and swiftcurrent are fun. Some runs off sixshooters are fun. I guess part of the reason I didn't find it memorable is that I skied Alta/Bird right before and after, both are fully open with a few powder days, vs. a slightly below average early season at big sky. I do plan to go back in the future though for sure, in late season like March or April.

tnt1234

Yes, the top to bottom bumps at lone wolf chair is good. There are 1-2 tree runs off ramcharger and swiftcurrent are fun. Some runs off sixshooters are fun. I guess part of the reason I didn't find it memorable is that I skied Alta/Bird right before and after, both are fully open with a few powder days, vs. a slightly below average early season at big sky. I do plan to go back in the future though for sure, in late season like March or April.

Yeah, I could see that. I've never skied in UT, but looking at the trail map, Alta looks like an entire mountains worth of Lone Peak > Dakota Chair.

And the lower stuff off swift current and the 8-pack was all pretty stardoms fare stuff. Kind of like the lower mountain Breck stuff, Or an EC mountain.

But as an east coast tree skier, I just absolutely love a big mountain with nooks and crannies everywhere to explore. Steep bowls are novel and certainly exciting, but I love getting lost int eh woods on a steep, but not crazy steep pitch, and I feel like Big sky delved on that front.

IT's crazy, but we skied there for 4 days, and I didn't even get to the top. my kids did in their lesson, but every time the tram was running (which wasn't close to all the time....) there was either a huge line, or visibility was 0. The girls told me the only run open was basically like the headwaters, but wider and longer, so I never wanted to take the time away from the other terrain.

Zand

Looks like Jackson is looking at upwards of 4 feet tomorrow and Friday, then another smaller storm (like...only one foot) Saturday, followed by something good next Tuesday. Big Sky looks to get in on a portion of this storm. Probably won't want to drive up to Montana if there's a big storm next week but looks like Jackson might be the snowiest ski resort in the country after this week so let's go.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like Jackson is looking at upwards of 4 feet tomorrow and Friday, then another smaller storm (like...only one foot) Saturday, followed by something good next Tuesday. Big Sky looks to get in on a portion of this storm. Probably won't want to drive up to Montana if there's a big storm next week but looks like Jackson might be the snowiest ski resort in the country after this week so let's go.

Awesome. Have fun.

Zand

Bump...

After the shitshow that was Jackson last year, I'm thinking about taking a year off from there and going to Big Sky instead this year. Despite talking about it the last two years, I've still never been.

I haven't booked yet, but my plan is to fly to Bozeman on Wed Feb 23rd and fly back Tuesday or Wednesday the next week. Rooms are insanely expensive anywhere in the immediate area, so that brings up my biggest question...

Is it a real pain in the ass to stay in Bozeman (or West Yellowstone if it makes the daily drive easier) and drive to the resort every day? I know the drive is a little over an hour from either town (the traffic was so bad in Jackson last year that it took 45 minutes each way from town anyway, so the drive time itself isn't a big deal). Is this an extremely sucky drive on snowy days? If it does suck, are there any ski areas closer to Bozeman that are either in Indy or are reasonably priced for day tickets?

That's really the only thing I'm concerned about is that drive every day. Flights and car rentals are super cheap in Bozeman and hotels aren't bad there so should be easy enough to get everything in order.

Looking forward to finally trying Big Sky. Endless low angle glades with small crowds sounds like a fun week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump...

After the shitshow that was Jackson last year, I'm thinking about taking a year off from there and going to Big Sky instead this year. Despite talking about it the last two years, I've still never been.

I haven't booked yet, but my plan is to fly to Bozeman on Wed Feb 23rd and fly back Tuesday or Wednesday the next week. Rooms are insanely expensive anywhere in the immediate area, so that brings up my biggest question...

Is it a real pain in the ass to stay in Bozeman (or West Yellowstone if it makes the daily drive easier) and drive to the resort every day? I know the drive is a little over an hour from either town (the traffic was so bad in Jackson last year that it took 45 minutes each way from town anyway, so the drive time itself isn't a big deal). Is this an extremely sucky drive on snowy days? If it does suck, are there any ski areas closer to Bozeman that are either in Indy or are reasonably priced for day tickets?

That's really the only thing I'm concerned about is that drive every day. Flights and car rentals are super cheap in Bozeman and hotels aren't bad there so should be easy enough to get everything in order.

Looking forward to finally trying Big Sky. Endless low angle glades with small crowds sounds like a fun week.
You're right that Bozeman is expensive. Staying in Big Sky is even more expensive. I skied Big Sky last year for the first time and I drove up from SLC on a Thursday night and stayed in Idaho Falls and driving the remaining 2.5 hours or so Friday morning. The road between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone is very scenic and very fast--four lanes in many places. I skied in Big Sky and stayed in West Yellowstone at a modest Holiday Inn. I splurged and got a room with a jacuzzi. It was a fraction of the cost of staying in Big Sky. It is about 40 miles from West Yellowstone up to Big Sky. I could do the drive in about 45-60 minutes one way--really scenic, easy, and relatively fast. The road is interesting because it leaves Idaho and then meanders between Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. It also passes through the western portion of Yellowstone National Park. DO NOT SPEED in the Yellowstone Portion as the NPS Police are on patrol checking speed and snowmobilers. One downside is this portion is two lanes and while the speed limit ranges from 55-65mph there are not many places to pass and there are trucks using it as a shortcut. But it is scenic, easy, and wildlife can be abundant. You can't miss the turn-off for Big Sky.

West Yellowstone has some amenities. It is mainly a summer destination but in winter they do a lot of snowmobiling and snow tours into Yellowstone. On an off-day you can do an expedition.

And compare the flight options and costs between flying into Bozeman (north of Big Sky about an hour) and flights into SLC and driving the 4.5-5 hours up to Big Sky. It is I-15 to Idaho Falls and then a fast drive up to West Yellowstone.

Be sure to ski the Tram and Moonlight Basin. There are insane expert options.

NYDB

if I was staying in bozeman I'd be sure and hit Bridger Bowl for sure. I'm actually stilled bummed we didn't hit it our last day a couple of years ago, but we were staying right at BS

the drive from bozeman to BS isn't bad. don't think I'd want to do it every day of a vacation though.