• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky

Kingslug20

With no new snow at all..Jackson is a bit empty now..Targhee even more so..but for an eastern skier its just fine..

thetrailboss

Staff member
With no new snow at all..Jackson is a bit empty now..Targhee even more so..but for an eastern skier its just fine..
It is relatively easy to do a side-trip to Grand Targhee (about 1-1.5 hours east of Idaho Falls) or even hit up Pebble Creek, Idaho which is right off I-15 just south of Pocatello.

Love me some Grand Targhee. It has been four years since I skied there. Looks like their expansion plan may be dead.

The Mrs. is interested in a Big Sky trip this season.

abc

Question I have is would it be worth the trip to Big Sky if the conditions are many steps below what they are at Jackson? Or should I take advantage of Jackson being stupid deep right now and put off Big Sky for another year? If I could ski a decent amount of good stuff it would be worth it for me but I have no idea what to expect there.
Big Sky is a great place!

Not sure I'd leave Jackson to go to Big Sky. You lose a good chunk of time in transit. Maybe hit Targhee along the way?

skimagic

Definitely spend a day at Bridger Bowl.
I agree , it's worth the trip. I wish I did an additionak day at BB over Big sky. Less bullshit and more scenic.

From Bozeman we stayed near Belgrade. the drive in the Canyon to Big Sky had a ton of curves so watch out with snow. I liked the drive from west yellowstone better but it passes over some high terrain in spots and is more remote so stay on the road. The town is cool, relaxed with snowmobilers and xc skiers. it's going to be a great trip. I missed the Bozeman hot springs though, pictures look good. so report back.

tnt1234

Bump...

After the shitshow that was Jackson last year, I'm thinking about taking a year off from there and going to Big Sky instead this year. Despite talking about it the last two years, I've still never been.

I haven't booked yet, but my plan is to fly to Bozeman on Wed Feb 23rd and fly back Tuesday or Wednesday the next week. Rooms are insanely expensive anywhere in the immediate area, so that brings up my biggest question...

Is it a real pain in the ass to stay in Bozeman (or West Yellowstone if it makes the daily drive easier) and drive to the resort every day? I know the drive is a little over an hour from either town (the traffic was so bad in Jackson last year that it took 45 minutes each way from town anyway, so the drive time itself isn't a big deal). Is this an extremely sucky drive on snowy days? If it does suck, are there any ski areas closer to Bozeman that are either in Indy or are reasonably priced for day tickets?

That's really the only thing I'm concerned about is that drive every day. Flights and car rentals are super cheap in Bozeman and hotels aren't bad there so should be easy enough to get everything in order.

Looking forward to finally trying Big Sky. Endless low angle glades with small crowds sounds like a fun week.
Bridger Bowl is right there in Bozeman and I have heard great things about it.

Just FYI, we rented a condo off Airbnb when we went to big sky. It was about 10 minutes from the mountain and at the time was very affordable.

The hotel at the base is incredible...

Would the budget allow for a few days at the hotel, and the rest of the trip in bozeman?

Pez

I've stayed at the hotel. it's very very nice, but honestly I think I liked the Huntley more. It had a much more old school feel. I think it's since been renovated.

Headed there in a week

Tonyr

I've stayed at the hotel. it's very very nice, but honestly I think I liked the Huntley more. It had a much more old school feel. I think it's since been renovated.

Headed there in a week
Both the Huntley and the Summit at Big Sky are getting full gut renovations.

machski

There is at least some civilization between Bozeman and BS. Between West Yellowstone and BS, wilderness. In weather, I'd rather go between Bozeman and BS personally.