Big Sky - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 77 of 77

Thread: Big Sky

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. They have sections of the mountain that are the size of an entire large northeastern ski resort and they are just small parts of the ski area. I explored and skied the Shedhorn and Dakota area for 2 days and never got bored. Big Sky is so big that you have to be smart about how you approach it. You've got to set aside most of a day to just explore and enjoy different sections of the mountain. Hardly anyone goes to the Morningside area and yet there is tons of stuff hidden in the trees and interesting runs sprinkled all over there. Lone Peak is badass yes, but it's not the only place there that is. There's a whole lot of stuff off of the challenger chair is pretty pucker inducing and none of that touches Lone peak.



    I would be so bold as to say that if you skied Big Sky and didn't find it "interesting", you did it really wrong. It was one of the most fascinating and challenging places I've skied in my life. 10 out of 10 that I will be back. . .
    Well, we hired a guide to show us around for a whole day. He had 11 seasons at big sky, skied every run there. He showed us all sorts of powder stash, and took us to some challenging terrain that was open, including a headwater chute, and a line from lone peak. That probably should be considered "did it right". That day was my best day during the 4-day stay at big sky. But man, it still felt plain comparing to fully opened Alta/Bird. There are some entertaining moguls runs and tree runs but nothing exciting. Not a single run bring memorable that I wanted to hit again. Some headwater chutes and Big/Small Couloir do look bad ass. But the rest, not so much. At least comparing to Alta/Bird which i skied both before and after Big sky

  2. #72
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. They have sections of the mountain that are the size of an entire large northeastern ski resort and they are just small parts of the ski area. I explored and skied the Shedhorn and Dakota area for 2 days and never got bored. Big Sky is so big that you have to be smart about how you approach it. You've got to set aside most of a day to just explore and enjoy different sections of the mountain. Hardly anyone goes to the Morningside area and yet there is tons of stuff hidden in the trees and interesting runs sprinkled all over there. Lone Peak is badass yes, but it's not the only place there that is. There's a whole lot of stuff off of the challenger chair is pretty pucker inducing and none of that touches Lone peak.

    I would be so bold as to say that if you skied Big Sky and didn't find it "interesting", you did it really wrong. It was one of the most fascinating and challenging places I've skied in my life. 10 out of 10 that I will be back. . .
    Again, I was not skiing--just drove up and checked it out on a trip to Montana. My point was that it was more of a resort that is spread out over a large area instead of a "single big mountain". I do want to ski it though. Hopefully soon.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  3. #73
    Dakota area at big ski is fantastic if you like an area that is a 1200 vert gladed area with a ski on lift. I found that are to be incredibly memorable. Tons of lines skiers left or right....

    Also, Powder Chaser bowl area was super fun, and of course headwater chutes are memorable.

    All over the lower mountain were awesome tree runs - like 2-3 great ones off every lift. Weren't pucker worthy down low, but they were beautifully spaced, rolling terrain, memorable to me.

    And the lift off the 8 pack, skiers right - forget what it's called....lone wolf, or something? Had bumps top to bottom on some seriously steep pitches.

    I found the place to be memorable.

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Dakota area at big ski is fantastic if you like an area that is a 1200 vert gladed area with a ski on lift. I found that are to be incredibly memorable. Tons of lines skiers left or right....

    Also, Powder Chaser bowl area was super fun, and of course headwater chutes are memorable.

    All over the lower mountain were awesome tree runs - like 2-3 great ones off every lift. Weren't pucker worthy down low, but they were beautifully spaced, rolling terrain, memorable to me.

    And the lift off the 8 pack, skiers right - forget what it's called....lone wolf, or something? Had bumps top to bottom on some seriously steep pitches.

    I found the place to be memorable.
    Yes, the top to bottom bumps at lone wolf chair is good. There are 1-2 tree runs off ramcharger and swiftcurrent are fun. Some runs off sixshooters are fun. I guess part of the reason I didn't find it memorable is that I skied Alta/Bird right before and after, both are fully open with a few powder days, vs. a slightly below average early season at big sky. I do plan to go back in the future though for sure, in late season like March or April.

  5. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrn View Post
    Yes, the top to bottom bumps at lone wolf chair is good. There are 1-2 tree runs off ramcharger and swiftcurrent are fun. Some runs off sixshooters are fun. I guess part of the reason I didn't find it memorable is that I skied Alta/Bird right before and after, both are fully open with a few powder days, vs. a slightly below average early season at big sky. I do plan to go back in the future though for sure, in late season like March or April.
    Yeah, I could see that. I've never skied in UT, but looking at the trail map, Alta looks like an entire mountains worth of Lone Peak > Dakota Chair.

    And the lower stuff off swift current and the 8-pack was all pretty stardoms fare stuff. Kind of like the lower mountain Breck stuff, Or an EC mountain.

    But as an east coast tree skier, I just absolutely love a big mountain with nooks and crannies everywhere to explore. Steep bowls are novel and certainly exciting, but I love getting lost int eh woods on a steep, but not crazy steep pitch, and I feel like Big sky delved on that front.

    IT's crazy, but we skied there for 4 days, and I didn't even get to the top. my kids did in their lesson, but every time the tram was running (which wasn't close to all the time....) there was either a huge line, or visibility was 0. The girls told me the only run open was basically like the headwaters, but wider and longer, so I never wanted to take the time away from the other terrain.

  6. #76
    Looks like Jackson is looking at upwards of 4 feet tomorrow and Friday, then another smaller storm (like...only one foot) Saturday, followed by something good next Tuesday. Big Sky looks to get in on a portion of this storm. Probably won't want to drive up to Montana if there's a big storm next week but looks like Jackson might be the snowiest ski resort in the country after this week so let's go.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

    2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

  7. #77
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Looks like Jackson is looking at upwards of 4 feet tomorrow and Friday, then another smaller storm (like...only one foot) Saturday, followed by something good next Tuesday. Big Sky looks to get in on a portion of this storm. Probably won't want to drive up to Montana if there's a big storm next week but looks like Jackson might be the snowiest ski resort in the country after this week so let's go.
    Awesome. Have fun.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:06 AM.