Day ticket rates vs Pass Prices

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Day ticket rates vs Pass Prices

Seems this discussion is migrating into several other threads currently.

Have at it here

What are your thoughts on the matter

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Ultimately it gets down to do you feel happy with what the pass options give you resort wise, since the price point is very good verses do you like to jump around, at which point the trend in day ticket prices at many locations isn't as attractive over a decent number of days during a season...

Is one "better" than the other? Probably going to be as much of a factor of personal situation and feeling than anything else

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico)

Thanks DHS AZ definitely need this thread
    I in tough spot with pass make life much better because I don't have to buy lift ticket
    But it means this winter majority of my ski days are going to be at BellFlat Gore and hope Whiteface because of pass I not working currently. so huge help
    I definitely miss not having to ski in Roxbury NY where 1 of best Indy hills is
    I sure I ski few other hills
    I like �� variety of different hills
    Maybe next season I get NY gold ski pass

Seems like you are doing OK this season Scotty.

I continue to ski on my season's passes. But lately it seems that everyone you ski with is redeeming something at the ticket window. My buddy and I got to Gore yesterday, way ahead of the now famous traffic jam and were ready to go well before the lifts were to spin. We were first in line at the ticket window, to redeem his ticket and waited 40 minutes. We snagged maybe the 10th gondola.

The pass redeeming, or day ticket purchase, kill it, for a first chair addict like me. Love me my season's pass.

FWIW Gore was banging, over 7000 in the house. Lines were not hard to avoid. Even at the bottom the moved quick.

I can see both sides, but I still think the day ticket window rate complaint is overblown as there are so many alternatives. Everyone always focuses on that, but people ignore the fact that pass prices have actually come DOWN in price in many cases. The "I have my pass so screw the casual skier" view I also feel is wrong. I don't think people like me are saying that at all. We're saying you need to be smart. Even back when I was a "casual" skier at the big resorts, I still looked around for deals and didn't just make a last minute decision the day of (and if I did, I realized I would have to pay a premium for that choice). Today planning in advance even just a few days can result in significant savings off the window rate. I have a bit of a hard time agreeing with people that seem to think they should be able to just show up on one powder day a year and get a cheap ticket.

Here's my questions for people that don't like the high day ticket rates:
    1) Why shouldn't people that are loyal to a resort be rewarded more?
    2) What would be a reasonable day ticket window rate? (I know people love to complain about anything over $100, but a place like Camelback in the Poconos is $78 for an adult weekend/holiday window ticket. Even Mountain Creek in NJ is $80 every day)
    3) How do you rate the value of a day skiing vs other expensive entertainment options (NFL games, concerts with major mainstream artists, etc)?
    4) Is the skiing day ticket pricing model really any different from other industries that also charge more if you don't plan in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I The "I have my pass so screw the casual skier" view I also feel is wrong. I don't think people like me are saying that at all.
    Right, and from Orca's post in the SB thread: "Or we could title the thread "F*ck the casual skier, I've got mine", which is the prevalent attitude here."

WTF is that? Look, if I could do anything about it, I might, but I can't, I didn't get a vote when Altera or Vail made the current rules, anymore than I got a vote in the current Airline scheme of pricing. The only thing I can do is look at the reality of what is happening and make a decision on what is the most beneficial for my circumstances. As I said in the SB thread, if you don't like the current window rate and can't plan in advance, vote with your $$s and go ski one of the small indie mountains, and tell them that you're happy that they are still in business and one of the anti-mega-pass mountains. That's about all anyone can do except not ski where you pay for lifts.

I'll stick with my season passes, Killington and NYS 3 in 1.

The mega pass thing is going to crash under it's own weight. I would be very pissed if I owned property at an area that has been over run by crowds. I'm lucky I have held off on anything like that. I am very sorry for the walk up skier who has to pay these higher window rates but honestly part of the price does reflect a legitimate increase in costs. My real concern is for the ski areas that will be out of business when the shakeout comes.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    The mega pass thing is going to crash under it's own weight.
    That will happen a few years after Rob Katz decides he, "needs to move on to a new challenge" or "a different chapter" in his life or decides to get into politics, or etc.

In my experience, these CEOs in transformative, but ultimately unsustainable efforts nearly always flee via such excuse before the train jumps off the rails, a point that they are privileged to foresee via insider knowledge, thereby maintaining plausible deniability & escaping blame, pinning-it rather upon their successor. This destruction, however, will occur long after Katz is able to sell his remaining equity interest in Vail on the open market after his no-longer-an-employee lock-up period expires.

This is all a ways off though, there's still plenty of juice to squeeze in this lemon, and the frog hasnt even started to slowly boil yet via annual EPIC pass price increases (which are coming).
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Jan 20, 2020 at 9:14 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    That will happen a few years after Rob Katz decides he, "needs to move on to a new challenge" or "a different chapter" in his life or decides to get into politics, or etc.

In my experience, these CEOs in transformative, but ultimately unsustainable efforts nearly always flee via such excuse before the train jumps off the rails, a point that they are privileged to foresee via insider knowledge, thereby maintaining plausible deniability & escaping blame, pinning-it rather upon their successor. This destruction, however, will occur long after Katz is able to sell his remaining equity interest in Vail on the open market after his no-longer-an-employee lock-up period expires.

This is all a ways off though, there's still plenty of juice to squeeze in this lemon, and the frog hasnt even started to slowly boil yet via annual EPIC pass price increases (which are coming).
    You are likely correct, and I know we'll see mega pass price increases, the hook has been set. I hope this is a boon for the indie mountains. My prediction for the consumer side, once the prices for the mega passes get's outta control and sales numbers start dropping there will likely be some adjustments in price, and other opportunities surfacing--maybe a return of the resort only pass or something along those lines, but who knows. Mountains gotta fill seats on chairs one way or the other.

I can see both sides, but I still think the day ticket window rate complaint is overblown as there are so many alternatives. Everyone always focuses on that, but people ignore the fact that pass prices have actually come DOWN in price in many cases. The "I have my pass so screw the casual skier" view I also feel is wrong. I don't think people like me are saying that at all. We're saying you need to be smart. Even back when I was a "casual" skier at the big resorts, I still looked around for deals and didn't just make a last minute decision the day of (and if I did, I realized I would have to pay a premium for that choice). Today planning in advance even just a few days can result in significant savings off the window rate. I have a bit of a hard time agreeing with people that seem to think they should be able to just show up on one powder day a year and get a cheap ticket.
    I agree with this generally because I'm not arguing for "cheap". I'm arguing against highway robbery prices. What percentage of skier visits does a mountain such as Stowe or Sugarbush or Killington get from last minute window walk ups? I'm curious about this demographic. For a little while this was me because I re-entered the sport after a 10-year hiatus in the late 2000's. I figured out how to get deals quickly enough, but I'm a resourceful person in that regard anyway. I think mainly this demographic represents new skiers and/or people new to the area.

Here's my questions for people that don't like the high day ticket rates:
    1) Why shouldn't people that are loyal to a resort be rewarded more?
    no argument, I'm arguing against penalizing those who don't and even first timers (even as a good business practice)

2) What would be a reasonable day ticket window rate? (I know people love to complain about anything over $100, but a place like Camelback in the Poconos is $78 for an adult weekend/holiday window ticket. Even Mountain Creek in NJ is $80 every day)
    Berkshire East is $45 tomorrow and I'm getting 50% off so $22.50. So I guess that's where I start and we can work our way up if there's added value to the equation.

But really Sugarbush $89 weekdays, same with Stowe/Killington and whoever else is doing triple digits+. Weekends I don't ski so if they want to jack people on rates do it then I guess. I think it's a fair system along with having tiered/advance pricing. Sugarbush is good that if you pay for Mount Ellen you don't have to pay for Sugarbush South. It should also be vice versa. I've never skied both mountains in a day so it never benefited me to pay for both.

3) How do you rate the value of a day skiing vs other expensive entertainment options (NFL games, concerts with major mainstream artists, etc)?
    Can't give you an objective opinion, skiing is the best. But I'm a cheapskate on a lot of things and mainly in the entertainment arena. Summer activity to replace skiing is hiking and some mountain biking. I'm riding the same Specialized Enduro from 2007... my thing is usually get the high end stuff a few years later on the cheap. I tend to gravitate toward the $6.50 16oz 4 packs of Goose Island IPA. Not sure if this answers your question.

4) Is the skiing day ticket pricing model really any different from other industries that also charge more if you don't plan in advance?
    Kind of, because tiered/advance pricing was originally positioned as a discount mechanism, whereas it's become very quickly an excuse to raise window/ticket prices in order to claim something silly like "Saturday March 7 -- $118 -- 25% off! -- ONLY 4 TICKETS LEFT AT THIS PRICE"
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Jan 21, 2020 at 5:12 PM.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Thread Information