• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

asnowmobiler

It looks like I’m going to cancel my trip to Snowshoe next Wednesday because of rain ($600 deposit lost) ��, so I looked at the GFS for going north and saw this.
I can’t believe it but it gives me hope for NY and VT.6203B40B-0E6C-4745-873A-D261F59EE564.jpg

asnowmobiler

Yeah no shit.. I’m from the Poconos and figured we would check it out because I have some friends from Maryland going.
Hell maybe I should just go west, I have plenty of Delta points.

KustyTheKlown

i went to snowshoe once when i went to college in dc. its not a bad place. high elevation (5k at the summit i think?). upside down with the lodge and parking at top. some good long decently pitched runs. no idea if there is tree skiing. but jesus i wouldn't put money down in advance for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i went to snowshoe once when i went to college in dc. its not a bad place. high elevation (5k at the summit i think?). upside down with the lodge and parking at top. some good long decently pitched runs. no idea if there is tree skiing. but jesus i wouldn't put money down in advance for it.
You kind of have to prebook there. It's in day trip range for a very small amount of people and the lodging fills up fast. Place is super busy. Ranks in the top 10 in the East for skier visits if not top 5. Something like 500k skier visits a year, so more than Stowe. Different than the Northeast was the place had a healthy midweek business all season. They'd pack the place with church groups from Georgia, Alabama midweek. I remember a few of them bringing massive Christian Rock productions to the ballrooms. Full on light shows and professional sound while they rocked the Jesus praise.

4848 is the elevation. 200" of natural. Most of the skiing is only about 700 vertical, but they do have two legit 1500' vert trails off the backside with pretty decent pitch. They had a few tree skiing areas then, but it was nothing special.

I ran their conference and catering business, the comedy club and two of their restaurants in 2002-2003. I'm not sure if the place is the same today, but it PARTIED back then during ski season. Bars would keep serving until 3-4AM even though last call was 2. Jose Cuervo weekend in March was a bigger party than anything I've ever seen up here. People skiing with squirt guns full of tequila, folks puking on the side of the trails. We'd open the main club at 8AM with a line out the door and sell 100k worth of liquor the main Saturday. Bartenders would make $3k for the day. Summertime had a pretty good festival schedule as well. Essentially there were no cops because there is no town. Just a few resort security guards who let things slide. State Police was in Marlinton 45 minutes away and would only show up when called. I can't recall any ski resort that I've seen so much rampant non-discreet cocaine usage as I did there.

It was a time, but I knew I'd be out of there quickly. Pocahantes county is the size of Rhode Island with a population of 10k. Not exactly a great place to be in your mid 20s. For any sort of shows / culture you had to go to Morgantown, Charlottesville or Roanoke, which were all 2.5-3 hours away. I'd typically just go to DC or Asheville for long weekends every other month or so to find civilization. Not far from Snowshoe is the largest white supremacists compound in the country. Saw some fd up shit from them where they'd show up to the bars sometimes for the sole purpose of starting shit with the hundreds of South American workers the mountain employed. After 15 months I had enough and moved on.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

yeah man. we were a bunch of dc college jew boys from the northeast driving our new york plates around. we were running out of gas. phones didnt work. our directions were printed on a piece of paper. and the people at the gas station we finally found were...something

we day tripped it from dc in college that one time. ludicrous day trips have been par for me for a long time.

asnowmobiler

It was setup 3 months ago so we figured February would a safe bet.
Heading south and slightly west always felt strange to me.
Since I’m taking a big loss, I decided on a cheap trip.
Wednesday Greek Peak (Free) staying at my sister’s house on Oneida lake, then McCully mountain in Oldforge New York. (First place I skied 35years ago) Then onto Whiteface for another free day. Not sure after that.

KustyTheKlown

if you are up at whiteface, just bite the bullet and come across to stowe or smuggs or jay. far northern vermont is skiing great. smuggs today was super fun. 100% open. woods and backcountry totally skiable.

bdfreetuna

Thinking Stowe Saturday. I was up there on my motorcycle this past summer and put it on my bucket list.

show up early if you want good parking.. like, real early

Also don't be afraid to ski the Sensation Quad terrain and whatever that chairlift that goes up Hackett's Highway if the 4 Runner and Gondola have big lines. A lot of good terrain you can access without taking the main lifts. Choose your runs on the Gondi and 4 Runner with more intention. If you get there early and stay late you should get some good runs on those lifts though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
show up early if you want good parking.. like, real early

Also don't be afraid to ski the Sensation Quad terrain and whatever that chairlift that goes up Hackett's Highway if the 4 Runner and Gondola have big lines. A lot of good terrain you can access without taking the main lifts. Choose your runs on the Gondi and 4 Runner with more intention. If you get there early and stay late you should get some good runs on those lifts though.
My Stowe plan is always like you said, real early. Catch the Forerunner at 7:30. Ski it for an hour, so 4-5 runs. Then Gondola for an hour. Head over to big Spruce for an hour. Early lunch at Spruce. Back to Forerunner during peak lunch when lines calm down. Then ski the triple or double until the Forerunner and Gondi lines die back down.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

You kind of have to prebook there. It's in day trip range for a very small amount of people and the lodging fills up fast. Place is super busy. Ranks in the top 10 in the East for skier visits if not top 5. Something like 500k skier visits a year, so more than Stowe. Different than the Northeast was the place had a healthy midweek business all season. They'd pack the place with church groups from Georgia, Alabama midweek. I remember a few of them bringing massive Christian Rock productions to the ballrooms. Full on light shows and professional sound while they rocked the Jesus praise.

4848 is the elevation. 200" of natural. Most of the skiing is only about 700 vertical, but they do have two legit 1500' vert trails off the backside with pretty decent pitch. They had a few tree skiing areas then, but it was nothing special.

I ran their conference and catering business, the comedy club and two of their restaurants in 2002-2003. I'm not sure if the place is the same today, but it PARTIED back then during ski season. Bars would keep serving until 3-4AM even though last call was 2. Jose Cuervo weekend in March was a bigger party than anything I've ever seen up here. People skiing with squirt guns full of tequila, folks puking on the side of the trails. We'd open the main club at 8AM with a line out the door and sell 100k worth of liquor the main Saturday. Bartenders would make $3k for the day. Summertime had a pretty good festival schedule as well. Essentially there were no cops because there is no town. Just a few resort security guards who let things slide. State Police was in Marlinton 45 minutes away and would only show up when called. I can't recall any ski resort that I've seen so much rampant non-discreet cocaine usage as I did there.

It was a time, but I knew I'd be out of there quickly. Pocahantes county is the size of Rhode Island with a population of 10k. Not exactly a great place to be in your mid 20s. For any sort of shows / culture you had to go to Morgantown, Charlottesville or Roanoke, which were all 2.5-3 hours away. I'd typically just go to DC or Asheville for long weekends every other month or so to find civilization. Not far from Snowshoe is the largest white supremacists compound in the country. Saw some fd up shit from them where they'd show up to the bars sometimes for the sole purpose of starting shit with the hundreds of South American workers the mountain employed. After 15 months I had enough and moved on.

How the hell has this NOT been the basis for a ski movie yet?

It literally has everything that Hollywood desires.

Sex, drugs, partying, women, alcohol abuse, uneducated white racists, and even the opportunity to insult Christians.

Somebody call Harvey Weinstein.............. oh..... wait.......

rocks860

How the hell has this NOT been the basis for a ski movie yet?

It literally has everything that Hollywood desires.

Sex, drugs, partying, women, alcohol abuse, uneducated white racists, and even the opportunity to insult Christians.

Somebody call Harvey Weinstein.............. oh..... wait.......

Sounds much like the ski area in hot tub time machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

Thinking of coming up next weekend. Did you make it into the Birthday Bowls?

Yes. Took one run thru the bowls. I don’t know the name of individual lines back there but it was easily run of the day

These are both pics from that run:
IMG_1437.jpgIMG_1439.jpg

And here’s a map of the line. I went up sterling, skied off lift to the right, then ducked the rope on the left and skirted the edge of the pond. Hiked up towards Stowe to the first area where the hike levels out, by the long trail signage, put skis on and entered there, followed a blazed trail til the woods opened on my right.

IMG_1441.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Yes. Took one run thru the bowls. I don’t know the name of individual lines back there but it was easily run of the day

Why didnt you lap it? That looks fantastic (and way better than I would have thought).

I went up sterling, skied off lift to the right, then ducked the rope on the left and skirted the edge of the pond.

I'm surprised they had the rope up. Was that keeping people out?

ScottySkis

Weather related
Getting better for our hills
We should all be snowboarding or skiing
White lines of smoth powder very soon maybe stay North next weekend
This from my favorite forecaster from facecrap.

We have a clipper (really more of a glorified warm front) moving through. This will bring a few rain/snow showers into the region Parts of Pennsylvania, northern Maryland, northern New Jersey into New York State and New England, could see a dusting to an inch or so, of snow/mix. With parts of northern New York State and northern into central New England seeing 1-3 inches of this snow/mix The Tug Hill into the eastern Adirondacks could see 2-5 inches of snow. Southern into Central Pennsylvania, Mid Atlantic and southern New England many will see rain. So no real weather worries, But roads could be a slippery so keep that in mind. So those Super Bowl parties should go off with no weather worries.

Well Punxsutawney says it’s going to be an early spring. I’ve seen Staten Island Chuck and Manchester’s Chuckles the Groundhog said the same thing. I think Considering winter has been a no show for many of us. It makes sense from them to say that. NOAA seems to agree, they show February being quite warm.

It will be warmer tomorrow into Tuesday. Then we turn colder for the 2nd half of the week. It won’t be super cold, but cold enough to produce snow for parts of our region. We will also have a couple areas of low pressure moving up the Eastern Seaboard.

Tomorrow we will see more sun with temperatures ending around 10 degrees warmer than today. Tuesday will see a cold front slowly approach, it will kick off some rain/snow showers later Tuesday/Tuesday night. Those with the best chance for rain will be across western Pennsylvania, with more in the way of snow/mix in New York State. The front will move into the region on Wednesday, where it will stall. At the same time will see weak to moderate high pressure build down from Canada. The high pressure will allow moderately cold air to filter into New England and New York State. There will be low pressure moving along the front. The northern Mid Atlantic will be on the warm side of the front, so mostly rain for y’all. Rain across western Pennsylvania, will change to a snow/mix Wednesday then snow for Thursday into Friday. For northern Pennsylvania, New York State and New England rain will change over to snow/mix. The farther north and higher up you are the greater your chance for more in the way of snow. As the high pressure gives way snow/mix will change back over to rain/mix.

Thursday night/Friday a stronger wave will work up the East Coast. Northern areas will change from snow over to a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Southern areas will warm Thursday afternoon, changing over from a mix to primarily rain Thursday night and Friday, rain amounts of one to one and half of an inch are possible. Parts of New York State and northern and Central New England could end up with significant snow accumulation during the entire event and very slippery roads are possible during this event.

The system clears the region by next Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Weather related
Getting better for our hills
We should all be snowboarding or skiing
White lines of smoth powder very soon maybe stay North next weekend
This from my favorite forecaster from facecrap.

ScottySkis

We have a clipper (really more of a glorified warm front) moving through. This will bring a few rain/snow showers into the region Parts of Pennsylvania, northern Maryland, northern New Jersey into New York State and New England, could see a dusting to an inch or so, of snow/mix. With parts of northern New York State and northern into central New England seeing 1-3 inches of this snow/mix The Tug Hill into the eastern Adirondacks could see 2-5 inches of snow. Southern into Central Pennsylvania, Mid Atlantic and southern New England many will see rain. So no real weather worries, But roads could be a slippery so keep that in mind. So those Super Bowl parties should go off with no weather worries.

Well Punxsutawney says it’s going to be an early spring. I’ve seen Staten Island Chuck and Manchester’s Chuckles the Groundhog said the same thing. I think Considering winter has been a no show for many of us. It makes sense from them to say that. NOAA seems to agree, they show February being quite warm.

It will be warmer tomorrow into Tuesday. Then we turn colder for the 2nd half of the week. It won’t be super cold, but cold enough to produce snow for parts of our region. We will also have a couple areas of low pressure moving up the Eastern Seaboard.

Tomorrow we will see more sun with temperatures ending around 10 degrees warmer than today. Tuesday will see a cold front slowly approach, it will kick off some rain/snow showers later Tuesday/Tuesday night. Those with the best chance for rain will be across western Pennsylvania, with more in the way of snow/mix in New York State. The front will move into the region on Wednesday, where it will stall. At the same time will see weak to moderate high pressure build down from Canada. The high pressure will allow moderately cold air to filter into New England and New York State. There will be low pressure moving along the front. The northern Mid Atlantic will be on the warm side of the front, so mostly rain for y’all. Rain across western Pennsylvania, will change to a snow/mix Wednesday then snow for Thursday into Friday. For northern Pennsylvania, New York State and New England rain will change over to snow/mix. The farther north and higher up you are the greater your chance for more in the way of snow. As the high pressure gives way snow/mix will change back over to rain/mix.

Thursday night/Friday a stronger wave will work up the East Coast. Northern areas will change from snow over to a mix of sleet and freezing rain. Southern areas will warm Thursday afternoon, changing over from a mix to primarily rain Thursday night and Friday, rain amounts of one to one and half of an inch are possible. Parts of New York State and northern and Central New England could end up with significant snow accumulation during the entire event and very slippery roads are possible during this event.

The system clears the region by next Saturday afternoon.