• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

Why didnt you lap it? That looks fantastic (and way better than I would have thought).

I'm surprised they had the rope up. Was that keeping people out?

No rope. Just my shorthand description of where you exit. I’ve seen it roped in the past but it’s clearly marked as “you are leaving the ski area” etc.

I didnt lap it bc it was getting late. I warmed up on sterling bc it opened at 8, then switched to Madonna when it opened around 9. Got to the bowls and it was already 1:30 and I had skied 24k already. After the bowl I went behind the bullwheel and past the lean to to ski the chutes above shuttle. Then I crossed shuttle but missed the good entrance and wound up in a deep heavy hard to turn snow situation in tight trees. Spent a lot of energy getting down from that. It was then 2:15 and I took one sterling groomer lap to ski back to the car with 30k skied, tired legs, and a 70 min drive ahead

I was also very very hungry, and had a headache because of it. I ate dinner at 6 pm Friday. Drugged myself to sleep, woke up at 1:30 and drove straight to smuggs only stopping for gas. intended to get a coffee and breakfast at smuggs - I like paying to eat at indies especially since I’m on a discounted lift ticket - but smuggs food service doesn’t start til 830, 30 min after lifts! so I skied 30k vert on a completely empty stomach. ‘‘Twas time to call it

Great skiing all over smuggs Saturday tho

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Don’t know names. I know I wound up on the wrong side of a creek bed beneath shuttle, and eventually a crossed the creekbed and found myself under the big open glade I had been looking for. I wound up on a lift with a smuggs dude who was actually a VT state legislator, a few years ago, and he showed me some really cool stuff. most of it I know how to find still. swing and a miss on this attempt tho re:woods below shuttle

bdfreetuna

Did you happen to veer too far to the right, or left? In the video I posted above it appears you need to start going to the left or else you could get trapped in a mess to the right towards the bottom. I have a weaker mental map of Smuggs than almost any mountain in Vermont, sadly, but looks like I'll be doing a couple days at least this season and probably with my wife coming up soon.

Haven't done back bowls yet but planning on it whenever we go. When you get to the road is there a track on the side to ski back? Basically wondering if it's a PITA to get back or easy. I'm know there are some "sooner" lines than others and assume I'll be skiing the lines closest to Sterling to start off with.

BenedictGomez

Haven't done back bowls yet but planning on it whenever we go. When you get to the road is there a track on the side to ski back? Basically wondering if it's a PITA to get back or easy.

It's simple. You ski the road back & cut in by the upper lot back to the Sterling lift.

KustyTheKlown

what you are calling hershey squirts was to skier's left of me. i crossed the creek from right to left and then wound up beneath a big nice open glade that i've skied a couple times before.

getting back from the bowls is easy. it dumps you onto 108 which is snow covered and gently sloping back towards smuggs. you hit the gate and walk 5 min thru the upper parking lot and put your skis back on and ski 100 feet back down to sterling

ScottySkis

Most of the snow will fall Thursday and Friday up to the early hours of Saturday. Still lots of uncertainty with respect to tracking and amounts.

tchange.

From Rebecca on Here are my first real thoughts on the general P-type as well as a very general basic timeline.

The second half of this week is going to be very active. The region will experience rain, sleet, freezing rain, and snow. Parts of the I-95 Tri state might get into some of the frozen precipitation as well.

Wednesday Rain across southern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York City/long Island much of southern New England. With central Pennsylvania, having the best chance for a sleet/freezing rain mix. Right not it looks to be light to at times moderate snow across Western Pennsylvania (north of Pittsburgh), western New York State, as well as the southern tier north to around the Mohawk Valley, northern Connecticut, Massachusetts, southern Vermont, southern New Hampshire. Northern New York State, northern Vermont, northern New Hampshire look to see next to nothing, but there could be a bit of mix. Eastern Maine could see some snow, while western Maine sees next to nothing.

High pressure will move to our north, this is going to allow cold air to try and filter into the region. Low Pressure will also be moving north and east along the frontal boundary. The low will be pulling in a lot of moisture. As we get into Thursday rain is likely for Pennsylvania, and the Middle Atlantic, lower Hudson Valley, most of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and southeast Massachusetts.

Thursday morning, cold air looks to get trapped close to the surface. For those south of the Mohawk Valley into the Catskills, Mid-Hudson Valley (perhaps even Albany) Northeast Pennsylvania, Northern New Jersey, northern Connecticut, and southern Massachusetts temperatures will most likely be just below freezing. This will lead to the possibility for an extend period of freezing rain. Areas north of I-90 in New York State extreme northern Massachusetts, and northern New England, moderate to at times heavy snow will be possible.

Friday will see the low pressure moving over the Mid-Atlantic and close to Southern New England. Snow for Northwest Pennsylvania, much of New York State (with the exception of southeast New York State and the Hudson Valley, most of Vermont, northern New Hampshire, and northern and central Maine, everyone else will see rain/mix. The farther south and east you, the greater your chance of seeing just a cold rain.

Saturday will see lingering wintery precipitation with brisk winds. Sunday into Monday we will likely be dealing with another storm.

I will post more as the picture gets clearer.....This is based on what things look like at this time.....but things can change.
"

tnt1234

This coming weekend.

Scotty's post not encouraging for the catskills. Freezing rain mid-week?

Sunday is my only shot - guess I just wait and see. Maybe Blue for soft bumps instead?

Been a crappy season for day tripping from NJ.

snoseek

I'll settle for some base builder. Some quality snow on top at some point would be nice.

NYDB

I'll settle for some base builder. Some quality snow on top at some point would be nice.

3-4 inches of sleet/heavy snow/ice wed/thurs with 4-6 inches on top thurs night/friday would be nice. Hoping for some storm riding Friday. Fingers and toes crossed

kingslug

Finaly a real snowstorm for us in the land of weiner schnitzel..been a sporty 2 days out here so far..the bombing started early this morning..avalanche warning level 4..let the games begin