• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

BenedictGomez

Anyone see the vid of the avalanche hitting the Peruvian lodge at Alta...its why...they lock the doors

I wish it runs just a few seconds longer for the "after" look at those cars that got overrun, I imagine they must of become nearly buried.

we spent 4-5 watching the FIS moguls people practicing with music pumping and beers in hand.

I watched that on TV last night, it's a fantastic event. Glad the day worked out well for you.

KustyTheKlown

Snowbird - after compaction storm skis like a dense corn like 5” layer on top of a perfectly smoothed out base - not an old mogul in site. crowded but I’m here staying at base thru weds. content is an understatement

snoseek

Tomorrow looks like a sneaky good monday. I took a very light week at work coming up.

Zand

Flight from Denver to Jackson got delayed, so between that and getting the car I wouldn't have been at JH till 2. So bought a half day ticket for Snow King which is open till 630. I had no idea this place is 1700 vert! Really damn steep too. Worth the $49.

Zand

Well I missed the fine print where its 6:30 every day except Sunday. Balls.

kingslug

I imagine digging those cars out would be like digging cement..i spent this whole week skiing through avi debris...like bricks

ScottySkis

Rebecca latest update same as what I put in weather thread.
"Sorry for not posting this earlier, but my husband built me a new shoe rack with attached drawers for jewelry and my scrunchies in my closet. So, I’ve been reorganizing my closet, which is a huge job. Anyway……. Looking at this week.

This coming week will see a series of waves of low pressure heading eastward with the strongest of them moving through mid to late week. Each one brings rain and some snow eastward. I will also touch on the long-range weather pattern.

The first wave will bring rain/snow tonight. Most places that start out as snow, will change over to rain. Northern New York State and northern Vermont into Maine will see more in the way of snow. The front is going to stall along the Coast into New England. Another weak wave will move through later Monday into Tuesday, marginal temperatures will see similar results. Then we will see the third wave move north and east to the west of the front. There will be cold air trying to approach. Timing will determine who sees what, but I think this will be similar to our Friday event, at least as to the areas most likely to see snow amounts greater than 6 inches. So those areas in the snow drought look to miss out once again. ……. Looking out into the future!

The pattern has been wrong and it continues to look wrong moving forward. This has been a strange winter, it started out great for most of us. But then from Christmas to last week It was dismal .

In this type of pattern, for a snowstorm to occur in the I-95 corridor, everything has to have everything line up perfectly. If we get the right setup, there can be monster storms. But these windows of opportunity will be fleeting IMO. The storm that just went through, was an example of how things can happen if things line up right. I ended up seeing 18 inches, Malone to Newport VT down to near Plattsburgh saw 17- near two feet of snow. Spencertown 21.5", Newburgh 13.5. There were reports of 3-5 inches falling over parts of the Tri-State with amounts of 5-nearly 12 inches for parts of Northern Pennsylvania. Not a block buster, but better than we’ve seen in a while.

We haven’t seen real arctic highs set up shop driving sustained cold air into our region. Every time we had a system that was accompanied with a lot of moisture the air was too warm and the results were not good for snow. That strong polar vortex which has been strong for the last 6 to 8 weeks is being attacked by warm air, there is a slight weakening occurring in the vortex. But I doubt it is going to weaken enough to bring cold air into North America. It will most likely move back to the other side of the pole where it has mostly been since Christmas.

From here on I use a lot of acronyms; but I’ve used them and explained them in depth in the past, so most of y’all should have an understanding of them. But if you need something cleared up, just ask.

We’ve had a very progressive pattern, but other than the Friday/Saturday big storm we have little to show for it. Without blocking these storms just don't linger enough to produce big snow storms. The Pacific is starting to look more and more unfavorable. The cold SST spot the Gulf of Alaska is warming In the ENSO region of the Pacific, region 1 and 2 are cooler, with the areas to the west warming. The SOI has been negative a lot this winter; but the MJO and other teleconnections like the IOD have resisted any attempt to a colder pattern. The latest CFS plume is showing cooling in the ENSO region. The EPO is looking to stay primarily positive. Both the MJO and the NAO don’t look to be cold friendly moving forward. The Southeast Ridge is going to continue to be problem as the battle between the northern and southern streams continues."

MEtoVTSkier

Rebecca latest update same as what I put in weather thread.
"Sorry for not posting this earlier, but my husband built me a new shoe rack with attached drawers for jewelry and my scrunchies in my closet. So, I’ve been reorganizing my closet, which is a huge job. Anyway……. Looking at this week.

This coming week will see a series of waves of low pressure heading eastward with the strongest of them moving through mid to late week. Each one brings rain and some snow eastward. I will also touch on the long-range weather pattern.

The first wave will bring rain/snow tonight. Most places that start out as snow, will change over to rain. Northern New York State and northern Vermont into Maine will see more in the way of snow. The front is going to stall along the Coast into New England. Another weak wave will move through later Monday into Tuesday, marginal temperatures will see similar results. Then we will see the third wave move north and east to the west of the front. There will be cold air trying to approach. Timing will determine who sees what, but I think this will be similar to our Friday event, at least as to the areas most likely to see snow amounts greater than 6 inches. So those areas in the snow drought look to miss out once again. ……. Looking out into the future!

The pattern has been wrong and it continues to look wrong moving forward. This has been a strange winter, it started out great for most of us. But then from Christmas to last week It was dismal .

In this type of pattern, for a snowstorm to occur in the I-95 corridor, everything has to have everything line up perfectly. If we get the right setup, there can be monster storms. But these windows of opportunity will be fleeting IMO. The storm that just went through, was an example of how things can happen if things line up right. I ended up seeing 18 inches, Malone to Newport VT down to near Plattsburgh saw 17- near two feet of snow. Spencertown 21.5", Newburgh 13.5. There were reports of 3-5 inches falling over parts of the Tri-State with amounts of 5-nearly 12 inches for parts of Northern Pennsylvania. Not a block buster, but better than we’ve seen in a while.

We haven’t seen real arctic highs set up shop driving sustained cold air into our region. Every time we had a system that was accompanied with a lot of moisture the air was too warm and the results were not good for snow. That strong polar vortex which has been strong for the last 6 to 8 weeks is being attacked by warm air, there is a slight weakening occurring in the vortex. But I doubt it is going to weaken enough to bring cold air into North America. It will most likely move back to the other side of the pole where it has mostly been since Christmas.

From here on I use a lot of acronyms; but I’ve used them and explained them in depth in the past, so most of y’all should have an understanding of them. But if you need something cleared up, just ask.

We’ve had a very progressive pattern, but other than the Friday/Saturday big storm we have little to show for it. Without blocking these storms just don't linger enough to produce big snow storms. The Pacific is starting to look more and more unfavorable. The cold SST spot the Gulf of Alaska is warming In the ENSO region of the Pacific, region 1 and 2 are cooler, with the areas to the west warming. The SOI has been negative a lot this winter; but the MJO and other teleconnections like the IOD have resisted any attempt to a colder pattern. The latest CFS plume is showing cooling in the ENSO region. The EPO is looking to stay primarily positive. Both the MJO and the NAO don’t look to be cold friendly moving forward. The Southeast Ridge is going to continue to be problem as the battle between the northern and southern streams continues."

So... in short, was the Groundhog right? :lol:

jimmywilson69

Flight from Denver to Jackson got delayed, so between that and getting the car I wouldn't have been at JH till 2. So bought a half day ticket for Snow King which is open till 630. I had no idea this place is 1700 vert! Really damn steep too. Worth the $49.

I skied Snow King on the day we arrived at Jackson last Spring. Was really a pleasant treat. Walked to it from the Antler Inn.

Not only is it 1700 Vert. Its super steep at the top!

BenedictGomez

That's dependent on how he received the weather for up north in "rural" New Jersey in the mid 1980s. If he had cable he's correct.

IMPOSSIBLE!

People only learned of the existence of Punxsutawney Phil after cell phones made that possible around 2000 or so. Before cell phones, Phil's annual predictions were only known to the local residents of Western Pennsylvania who braved the cold via stagecoach.

hub8

Everytime I experience rain freeze cycle for the weekend, I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hitting Killington Thursday. Confident they get at least 4" by days end. Magic is plan A for Friday if they can escape mixing, Pico is the backup plan. Friday cold has relaxed a bit to single digits, sun, and not too much wind. There's no larger difference in "feel" to me than 5 degrees with 10mph wind and -5 degrees with 20mph wind. One I'm comfortable in, the other I'm not skiing. I've done two stupid cold ski days in my life with negative actual temps and crazy wind...never again.

JimG.

Staff member
K tomorrow and Thurs as well for me.

Looks like a copy of last week for me. Hoping for another powder day Thurs.

Glenn

Holiday weekend = Happily not hitting the slopes. We may venture over to the Harris Hill Jump or do a little ice skating.