• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

this weekend makes me sad. gfs has a rain/snow borderline situation friday night that i dont see in other models. i see rain and then a freeze. i hate how this march is an april.

Hawk

I hear you dude. Last night we did a really nice mountain bike ride in the Boston area. The moon was full and the ride was fast. The difference? I was in shorts and a short sleeve shirt and it was 65 degrees at the start. I can't remember if I have ever done that in March. Basically this whole winter we have been able to ride on dirt with only about 3 weeks in January that there was snow. Very strange winter. I hope this is not the norm.

Edd

Planning on Quebec in about 10 days. There’s even rain forecasted up there over the next week. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

So Inclined

I wouldn’t go that far. You need to know what you’re walking in to. It’s the catskills, 80” cumulative for the season, after a rainy week, with some snow on the backside. They were almost entirely open and it wasn’t boilerplate anywhere. The only place that was soupy was lower face which gets slammed in the sun. Upper and lower face actually skied beautifully in the morning and it was worth the 5 min hike before they opened the triple. Woods obviously were not very good given the snow situation but the highest upper mountain bike trails off the double were ok enough to try once. Considering the winter they’ve had, sat was fine at platty. Not great and not terrible. Got after it early, skied my 20k vert, grabbed a wax sharpen base grind while having a beer, got home by 530. Love that kind of day.

Trying to squeeze what we can out of the tail end of the season, a friend and I are considering a day trip to Platty this Saturday. Worth the effort, based on this?

deadheadskier

Staff member
this weekend makes me sad. gfs has a rain/snow borderline situation friday night that i dont see in other models. i see rain and then a freeze. i hate how this march is an april.
It was a beat down up North yesterday. Still 50 degrees with blazing sun at 5PM when I drove past Wildcat. I'd say for most areas, tree skiing below 3k feet elevation will be sketchy at best if not done all together by this weekend. Maybe Stowe on North will be okay due to the 3 feet NVT received two weeks ago, but it's not looking good elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

It was a beat down up North yesterday. Still 50 degrees with blazing sun at 5PM when I drove past Wildcat. I'd say for most areas, tree skiing below 3k feet elevation will be sketchy at best if not done all together by this weekend. Maybe Stowe on North will be okay due to the 3 feet NVT received two weeks ago, but it's not looking good elsewhere.

I just have pretty much stopped looking at the weather as I much as I usually do as it is just depressing. Even the snow stake on Mt Mansfield has now dropped back below average (and this is a time when it should still be increasing to the high point for the season). I really don't have a great feeling about a long season this year even further north unless something changes (and soon). The time lapse on Sugarbush's summit snow stake cam is pretty telling. Even overnight last night the depth just kept on steadily dropping. It won't be long at all before we start losing natural snow trails.

drjeff

I've got the ugly feeling that what's going to happen is about a week after the large majority of places have closed for the season, mother nature is going to finally deliver a big storm, across the majority of ski country, just to spite many of us....

That would be par for the course for much of ski country and us skiers/riders this season....

Whitey

I hear you dude. Last night we did a really nice mountain bike ride in the Boston area. The moon was full and the ride was fast. The difference? I was in shorts and a short sleeve shirt and it was 65 degrees at the start. I can't remember if I have ever done that in March. Basically this whole winter we have been able to ride on dirt with only about 3 weeks in January that there was snow. Very strange winter. I hope this is not the norm.

I'm with you Hawk. MTB'd north of Boston Saturday and Monday, skied Mt Snow on Sunday. Kind of a funny contradiction. I was even surprised how dry the ride was, usually getting out this early would be a mud-fest. I was thinking about when the last time I MTB'd this much at this time of year. While I was at Mt Sno I was thinking that if they don't get some more snow soon it's going to be a quick end to this season.

slatham

For those looking for hope....

MJO forecasted by the Euro into the neutral zone and then phases 1,2,3. All cold phases.

The EPO (and WPO) are forecasted by all models to go negative. The last time they were significantly negative for any length of time was late November and early December.

The AO and NAO are not cooperating so who knows.

The operational models are not yet picking up on these factors yet.

So there is some hope.

mikec142

For those looking for hope....

MJO forecasted by the Euro into the neutral zone and then phases 1,2,3. All cold phases.

The EPO (and WPO) are forecasted by all models to go negative. The last time they were significantly negative for any length of time was late November and early December.

The AO and NAO are not cooperating so who knows.

The operational models are not yet picking up on these factors yet.

So there is some hope.

English please. Thanks!