• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

JimG.

Staff member
Still curious about all these threads i started that resulted in no storm...
Ive skied quite a bit of new snow so far..

That's because most of the snow fell during weekdays not weekends. Until this one your threads were about weekends.

kingslug

12-1 Sunday Hunter storm
12-7 Sunday Belleayre powder

12-30,31, 1-1 SB new years powder
1-5 saturday stowe powder
1-18,19 Stowe MLK powder

Am I missing something??

Last edited:

ScottySkis

yup
but I have skied at K and Hunter in pretty good ones this year. And the day we were at Bell was ...very good :)

Got to love Hunter and K snowmaking kills everyone else in our wonderful part of ����
Yes that day at Bell was awesome 18 inches of snow in 3 days.
It was very nice to meet and ski with u and Jim
Here what Rebecca weather forecast for the weekend not great for most

"I'm having internet issues today so I'm going to try to put this up from my phone

the weekend storm

the storm is still on track but last night some of the models trended West a little if they're right we would have a warmer solution for the Middle Atlantic Eastern Pennsylvania Eastern New York State and New England a rain slash mix for those closer to the coast of interior parts of Pennsylvania New York State and New England seen at least some Stone with the marginal temperatures elevation will play a big role those in Northern New York State and Northern New England still could end up with several inches.

the longer range

if you remember a week or two ago I said there were signs that a sudden stratospheric warming event would be taking place by the middle of February that is now occurring. so this should impact our weather in 10 to 14 days. I would expect to see the model start to adjust to a colder pattern with a lot of troughing over the great lakes and East Coast. The first 7 to 10 days of February could be very cold with that undercutting jet our pattern is going to continue to be active for the next few weeks.

as for the weekend storm I will try to see if I can figure it out and information through the phone and make any updates but right now the storm is looking to trend west so it will cut down snow amounts

KustyTheKlown

fuck this shit. cancelled my hotel. expedia and the hotel were good enough to refund me even tho i was not entitled.

i'm gonna day trip stratton saturday. can't miss a weekend but not about to roll the dice on staying over for a slushy/rainy sunday with overnight lift icing. even mad/sugarbush seem to be well fucked.

bdfreetuna

fuck this shit. cancelled my hotel. expedia and the hotel were good enough to refund me even tho i was not entitled.

i'm gonna day trip stratton saturday. can't miss a weekend but not about to roll the dice on staying over for a slushy/rainy sunday with overnight lift icing. even mad/sugarbush seem to be well fucked.

I don't think a wintery mix and a few inches accumulation, probably more at the summits is totally F'd. Just a better idea to wait for it to pass before going skiing.

bdfreetuna

12z all the runs told you otherwise. One shitty 18z and you panic? Go to Whiteface or Wildcat if you only like skiing pure powder conditions. I thought you were willing to do the drive?

If your only days are Sat-Sun I'd probably cancel too though. Midweek I look forward to seeing how this slop fills in the woods and puts a consistent surface on the trails.

BenedictGomez

I don't think a wintery mix and a few inches accumulation, probably more at the summits is totally F'd. Just a better idea to wait for it to pass before going skiing.

I'd say just the opposite on both counts.

Looks like a decent shot of rain, and if you must ski this weekend, ski Saturday & ski somewhere north of the Massachusetts border.

EDIT: And dont be afraid of driving home in a gully-washer.

KustyTheKlown

yep, BG correct on all counts on that one.

i cant ski monday so backend snow late sunday doesnt help me. im glad the rain is followed by snow. but sat evening>sunday isn't looking pretty. while i'm generally game to drive, i'm not gonna haul north when the weather is such a question mark. as BG said, best bet for my circumstances is to hit it quick saturday and then take it slow driving home in the rain.

and tuna, the rain has been overtaking vermont for the past 5 runs of the gfs, getting worse each time.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Don't trust the TunaForcast... I'd probably get warned if I bring up the certain memory I'm thinking of though....*sigh*

Also put me down for Team Rain. Not doubting a couple inches of slop though.

abc

Don't trust the TunaForcast... I'd probably get warned if I bring up the certain memory I'm thinking of though....*sigh*
Tuna’s forecast track record makes kingslug’s “questionable decisions” track record downright reasonable! :)

Smellytele

I am skiing Cannon Saturday as things are not getting there until late afternoon. Then going to sugarbush Sunday as it seems that everything should be over with a little back side snow

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

I'd say just the opposite on both counts.

Looks like a decent shot of rain, and if you must ski this weekend, ski Saturday & ski somewhere north of the Massachusetts border.

EDIT: And dont be afraid of driving home in a gully-washer.

Nah I'm going up to Cannon and/or Bretton and/or Wildcat Wednesday through potentially Friday. Waiting for the slop to settle I figure base will be built up.

I knew you guys would put me in a position where I'd be forced to post my awesome snow condition photos from the trip though :D

Smellytele

Nah I'm going up to Cannon and/or Bretton and/or Wildcat Wednesday through potentially Friday. Waiting for the slop to settle I figure base will be built up.

I knew you guys would put me in a position where I'd be forced to post my awesome snow condition photos from the trip though :D

I think everyone was talking about this Saturday and Sunday not next week. But actually looks like nothing falling from the sky after this weekend up to next Thursday to replenish anything. Although ya never know

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Looks like a good weekend to get caught up on work here in NJ. Nothing seems worth the effort his Sunday.

crazy

This season :-(

Don't get me wrong, I've had some really nice days. That first week of December, I was able to hit up Southern and Central VT for 3 days with pow or leftover pow. I had some fantastic snow during the New Year's eve storm. I skied the first Sunday in January and this past Sunday.

But what stinks is that every time after we get some decent snow, we then get rain. Magic and Pico still don't have as many trails open today as they did on December 7/8. It feels like the natural base keeps growing and then shrinking, but isn't any deeper than it was a month and a half ago.

I know, this is just New England skiing. I've resigned myself to it. The key is to get it while the getting is good. But as a New Englander, I also like to complain :razz:

jaywbigred

We've already canceled 3 trips to VT this season on account of the weather. With an 18 month old, the 4+ hour trip is kind of a pain, so we decided this year just to bag it if there is rain in the forecast. I think on all 3 of the canceled weekend, it rained at least part of the time or iced making lifts a mess. I was so excited when the forecast for this week looked good and now I am fecking bummed. Praying for a miracle at elevation now. Argh.