• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

Smellytele

I haven’t skied the last 2 weekends. I am skiing come hell or high water. Skied this afternoon at Cannon and will tomorrow as well. Calling for nothing until 4 or 5. Sunday going to sugarbush. Showing sleet until 10 then snow. We’ll see...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Dickc

I'm hoping the 2019-2020 season wont be remembered as the year of "33 degrees and rain"..... I don't think there's anything more excruciating to a skier than that type of weather.

I guess it might not be a bad winter for someone who cannot ski as I am recovering from back surgery in December. Rain in my driveway is SO much easier than snow to get rid of!!:razz:

ScottySkis

From Rebecca Facebook
Not good new s

Still having internet issues. Here is a post on this weekend’s event and the cooling I believe will be occurring as we approach February and especially during the first part of February. My internet looks to be messed up over the weekend. So I most likely won't post anything more until next week some time.

We have a large upper level low combined with a surface low approaching from the south and west. This is causing windy conditions across Southwest Pennsylvania, for places like Pittsburgh rain today, becoming heavier tonight. For those in Western New York State winds will pick up this evening, with rain moving in. Those around the Finger Lakes could see a bit of freezing rain. The rain will continue through Saturday for Western Pennsylvania and Western New York, as things progress from the southwest to northeast.

For the I-95 heavy rain after Midnight Philadelphia should be in the heavy rain tomorrow morning, for those of y’all around New York City the rain should be falling heavy by Saturday afternoon. South/Central New England looks to be mainly a rain event with some mixing. Saturday morning, the highest elevations in the lower Hudson Valley, New Jersey, into Pennsylvania highest elevations could start out with some mix for a couple of hours; but then it will change over to rain.

There could be some freezing rain across Northeast Pennsylvania, into the Hudson Valley, and southern New England. Ice amounts of over a quarter of an inch are possible across parts of Northeast Pennsylvania and Northwest New Jersey. For the northern Mid Atlantic into Southern New England rain during the afternoon could be moderate to heavy at times. Boston should be in the rain by Saturday evening.

Western Pennsylvania will see a changeover to some scattered snow on Sunday. This will also likely occur across much of Pennsylvania, New York State, and New England as well. Those in the coastal plain on Northern New England look to see a rain/mix. Interior Northern New York State and Northern New England looks to see a moderate event. These areas could see some sleet/ freezing rain. As far as accumulations, the lower elevations will see mainly rain, with a mix for the higher elevations. For much of New York State a dusting to 2 inches of accumulation is likely, with the higher elevations with colder temperatures see 2-6 inches with the highest areas seeing 6+ inches.

Next week is looking to see temperatures around seasonal for this time of year, with generally tranquil conditions for at least the first half of the week.

Yesterday, I mentioned a Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event starting.

Here a couple of images from Climate Prediction Center website, showing temperature analyses over the North Pole. The first image shows the current Polar Vortex over the Northern Polar Region. the second shows warming taking place in the 10 day, that is shifting that Polar Vortex Eastward away from the North Pole. Many times, when this occurs, cold air over the Polar Region can be displaced southward into the lower latitudes, resulting in colder air over central and Eastern North America. This is why, I was talking about temperatures cooling as we move into February. The Ensemble runs are showing this idea taking place.

Other images courtesy of Tropical Tidbits and Pivotal Weather

KustyTheKlown

Stratton skied ok today. Got on chair at 815, went hard to 2. Visibility was getting bad. Light rain started as I left. All woods skiable but thin. Got 30k and now heading home

D07E4CD9-383F-4A3F-864E-84B86653200A.jpg

ScottySkis

From Rebecca Facebook
Not good new s

Still having internet issues. Here is a post on this weekend’s event and the cooling I believe will be occurring as we approach February and especially during the first part of February. My internet looks to be messed up over the weekend. So I most likely won't post anything more until next week some time.

We have a large upper level low combined with a surface low approaching from the south and west. This is causing windy conditions across Southwest Pennsylvania, for places like Pittsburgh rain today, becoming heavier tonight. For those in Western New York State winds will pick up this evening, with rain moving in. Those around the Finger Lakes could see a bit of freezing rain. The rain will continue through Saturday for Western Pennsylvania and Western New York, as things progress from the southwest to northeast.

For the I-95 heavy rain after Midnight Philadelphia should be in the heavy rain tomorrow morning, for those of y’all around New York City the rain should be falling heavy by Saturday afternoon. South/Central New England looks to be mainly a rain event with some mixing. Saturday morning, the highest elevations in the lower Hudson Valley, New Jersey, into Pennsylvania highest elevations could start out with some mix for a couple of hours; but then it will change over to rain.

There could be some freezing rain across Northeast Pennsylvania, into the Hudson Valley, and southern New England. Ice amounts of over a quarter of an inch are possible across parts of Northeast Pennsylvania and Northwest New Jersey. For the northern Mid Atlantic into Southern New England rain during the afternoon could be moderate to heavy at times. Boston should be in the rain by Saturday evening.

Western Pennsylvania will see a changeover to some scattered snow on Sunday. This will also likely occur across much of Pennsylvania, New York State, and New England as well. Those in the coastal plain on Northern New England look to see a rain/mix. Interior Northern New York State and Northern New England looks to see a moderate event. These areas could see some sleet/ freezing rain. As far as accumulations, the lower elevations will see mainly rain, with a mix for the higher elevations. For much of New York State a dusting to 2 inches of accumulation is likely, with the higher elevations with colder temperatures see 2-6 inches with the highest areas seeing 6+ inches.

Next week is looking to see temperatures around seasonal for this time of year, with generally tranquil conditions for at least the first half of the week.

Yesterday, I mentioned a Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event starting.

Here a couple of images from Climate Prediction Center website, showing temperature analyses over the North Pole. The first image shows the current Polar Vortex over the Northern Polar Region. the second shows warming taking place in the 10 day, that is shifting that Polar Vortex Eastward away from the North Pole. Many times, when this occurs, cold air over the Polar Region can be displaced southward into the lower latitudes, resulting in colder air over central and Eastern North America. This is why, I was talking about temperatures cooling as we move into February. The Ensemble runs are showing this idea taking place.

Other images courtesy of Tropical Tidbits and Pivotal Weather

Snowing in tug hill NY Snowing moderately here on the Tug. All Y'all can report your local conditions here....

I've been having to place some of y'all in Rebecca's Jail, due to not following the rules. These mutes aren't permanent; the length of each is based on the severity of the violation. We don't like to do this, but the rules have to be enforced. Treat others with the respect they are owed. To earn respect one has to owe respect.
"

ScottySkis

As of 2 pm from Rebecca Facebook Saturday
Where snowy Ridge lots of snow for East Coast some people might want go I highly recommend when it has amazing lake effect events in normal winters

""Snowing moderately here on the Tug. All Y'all can report your local conditions ""

bdfreetuna

I was thinking yesterday somebody needs to build a large mountain in that area of New York. Sure building a mountain could be expensive, but think of all the $ saved on snowmaking!

ScottySkis

I was thinking yesterday somebody needs to build a large mountain in that area of New York. Sure building a mountain could be expensive, but think of all the $ saved on snowmaking!

Snowy Ridge is very old school vibe of Platty
And very affordable as it that whole area of NY state snow on small several hills open for skiing snowboard .

bdfreetuna

It looks OK in the trees but 500' vert is less than halfway up Berkshire East. Maybe Snow Ridge should start piling mounds of dirt on the summit every summer.

The only mountain I'm aware of which actually did that is Le Massif in Quebec, but it's just a lump on the summit intended for FIS racing.

Glenn

Stratton skied ok today. Got on chair at 815, went hard to 2. Visibility was getting bad. Light rain started as I left. All woods skiable but thin. Got 30k and now heading home

It was a zoo mid morning. Agreed; skied ok but visibility wasn't that great. My wife and out hadn't been on the hill in a few weeks, so it was nice to make some turns.

Run of the day was the beverage and nachos we had at the Grindstone.

kingslug

Im fixing some core shots.pink floyd on the stereo .Hunter tomorrow..what the hell...
And some pretty good Woodford Reserve...

Attachments

• 20200125_161450.jpg
    20200125_161450.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 79

bdfreetuna

pink floyd on the stereo

If you should go skating
On the thin ice crusting the slopes
Dragging behind you the silent reproach
Of a million icy runs

Don't be surprised,
When a crack in the ice
Appears under your skis
You slip out of your boots and land on your behind
With your fear flowing out behind you
As you ski the boilerplate ice

oooh oooh oooh baby blue ice

thebigo

Not going to happen, but fun to dream

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200125-173435_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200125-173435_Chrome.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 69

Edd

Planning on BW Monday and hoping for the best. Already committed to a ski & stay at the Mt Washington.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

From another great reliable forecasters on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NortheastSkiology/permalink/485509392112479/

Looking better and better
Posted at 6 pm ish on Saturday January 25 2020
BACK-END SNOW & SUNDAY CONDITIONS
Gore flipped to snow already. Probably received about 1/4" to 1/2" of rain and freezing rain before changing back to snow on the trail end of this initial push of moisture. There is some hope for tomorrow in N-NY and N-VT for some notable resurfacing where the rain and icing were minimal. Attached is the NAM3K simulated radar covering 6 p.m. today through all of Tuesday.

There's a chunk of moisture hitting N-NY and N-VT Sunday morning associated with the decaying inland low before it turns into a more typical orographic lift event in those areas. The back-end event should last until sometime on Tuesday and may mostly recover N-VT. N-NH should pick up several inches of snow mostly after Sunday's lift hours, and a combination of lake effect and the decaying shortwave should bring +6" of snow to W-NY and the Tug Hill resorts. Jay Peak is currently forecasted by the NWS with about 7" and around Stowe at 3"-4", though the forecast will likely rise. Monday will be the better day in N-VT, but Sunday may be the better day at Gore and Whiteface as their snow mostly happens between now and in the morning. N-ME does not look like they will benefit much if at all from the back-end of this storm. We are still not certain about the precipitation type during the bulk of precip tonight in N-NH and N-ME.

On Sunday all of the Greens looks to freeze up overnight. These slopes will ski better with a late groom. Expect some lift icing issues in the morning in N-NY, VT, N-NH, and N-ME. Places like S-NH, S-ME, and MA likely at least go above freezing in the morning, and some will stay above freezing the entire time, and despite the rain, those with a nice thick surface on top of whatever is below will fare the best. W-NY, C-NY, and S-NY should all freeze up tonight, maybe a soft freeze, and will mostly warm just above freezing Sunday. The timing of the grooming will help determine who has the best conditions where it freezes, however, a deeper soft/granular surface will do better than where it was dust on crust. Many non-major resorts groom in the mornings. Larger resorts generally groom close until open, or at least during the late night and maybe until open. Those that groom wet slush early so that it sets up overnight are the ones you want to avoid on days like this.