• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

skiur

My house is about half way up w Hill Rd at K and at 7:30 it is puking wet heavy snow.

KustyTheKlown

It was a zoo mid morning. Agreed; skied ok but visibility wasn't that great. My wife and out hadn't been on the hill in a few weeks, so it was nice to make some turns.

Run of the day was the beverage and nachos we had at the Grindstone.

accidentally found myself at the gondola around 10:30 am and did not like that. otherwise i was singles line and a minimal wait if any all day.

bdfreetuna

Planning on BW Monday and hoping for the best. Already committed to a ski & stay at the Mt Washington.

I'll be pretty curious how it was, and I hope you have a good time. Seems like some snow might bond to the rain on the back end and make for a skiable surface... Going up Wednesday night and going to decide if I ski Thursday or Thurs+Friday (if things are good and fun). I'm pretty sure at least one of those days (or the only day) will be Bretton Woods.

I'm already committed to a $48 room in Lincoln, so... lol

bdfreetuna

Radar is not always accurate when it comes to precip type. Has been snowing via Stratton web cams until just now and radar showed rain.

I just messed with the Bretton Woods interactive cam and the trees and gondola station (at the base) are looking nice and snowy. Last I checked before dinner they were completely bare. Whew Lordy let it happen...

thebigo

Wildcat webcam shows it hammering snow, damn I wish I wasnt committed to my kids seasonal program at crotch tomorrow.

Edd

Wildcat claiming 2-4”. BW claiming 1”.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

I would assume the 2-4” being reported across ski country is a wet and heavy one with an ice layer underneath? also anticipating lift delays at least at k. Think I’m glad I bagged today. It’s nice to wake up at home for once

skiur

I would assume the 2-4” being reported across ski country is a wet and heavy one with an ice layer underneath? also anticipating lift delays at least at k. Think I’m glad I bagged today. It’s nice to wake up at home for once

Killington has lift delays every morning lately. It could be a bluebird day with no wind and they still have delays.

ScottySkis

Great news
Hope this anther very reliable skier snowboard weather guy
Sorry about jinx c
I think everyone be different mood before next weekend
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NortheastSkiology/permalink/485752818754803/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NortheastSkiology/permalink/485752818754803/

"BACK-END SNOW EVENT UPDATE #1
NWS offices have some numbers for us for 7 a.m. today through 7 a.m. on Tuesday, which is probably most of the event if not all of it. I've attached a loop showing the NWS cumulative snow forecasted during this time every 6 hours. I've also attached the NAM3K simulated radar covering this exact same period. Note that this does not include the 4" or so already on the ground at Gore and Whiteface, or the 2"-3" or so already on the ground in VT, and whatever fell in NH and ME last night and so you can add those on top.

The snow should start impacting VT somewhere between open and 11 a.m. in earnest according to the NAM3K, however NWS offices see this happening mostly late Sunday through Tuesday morning in VT. NWS Portland doesn't have totals in for after 7 p.m. on Monday yet, but it appears that things may pick up to some extent late Monday and Tuesday in N-NH and N-ME, though we're not talking about huge totals here.

Taking Sunday's snow into account, a storm total of 10"-15" is being forecasted for the Green Mountain Spine (north of I-89 by the definition I follow). Notable snow is also forecasted between Killington and MRG, but take note that this is going to be over 48 hours and that's why I'm using these loops showing how it falls over a two day period. Monday would be a good day for some soft turns and some refills in these areas, and Tuesday for full depth and more bumps. Sunday will probably be the better day at Whiteface and Gore, and in N-NH and N-ME due to more snow on the front end of this storm.

I've cut out the lake effect areas in the NWS map, but the forecast is for generally 4"-6" at W-NY resorts, and on the western side of the ADK's, resorts there have a 4"-6" range.

I believe the NWS Albany forecast for the Stratton, Mount Snow and Bromley area may be a little heavy, but certainly possible. Otherwise, this is a nice middle of the line forecast. Since this is a long event and models have done so poorly with tracking this storm to date, I would not be surprised to see some variability here.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Worst fears mitigated. It was raining heavy down here in Pioneer Valley last night but Berkshire East webcam looks like they're doing just fine and with a nice groom on soft snow this morning.

Gore 4-5"
Killinton 3"
Jay 2-3"
Bretton Woods 1"
MRG 2"
Bolton 3"
Wildcat 5"
Cannon zilch but minimal damage
Waterville 2"

Looking forward to see how the upslope piles up (or doesn't) next couple days. Pretty glad I kept my NH room for Wednesday night. Thursday might be my first day at Wildcat since I was a kid.

Edd

Looking forward to see how the upslope piles up (or doesn't) next couple days. Pretty glad I kept my NH room for Wednesday night. Thursday might be my first day at Wildcat since I was a kid.

Nice! Are you an Epic passholder?

I’m hoping to ski Monday-Thursday this week, so the accumulation is a bit of a relief. Winging the location day by day starting Tuesday.

bdfreetuna

^ Nope but I think it's $53 Sunday-Friday with Ride and Ski Card
Also have 50% off Waterville so that's an option, along with some pre-paid Cannon and Bretton passes.

I may also ski in Vermont on Wednesday "on the way up" to NH and play it by ear. I'm kind of liking the Waterville idea though if semi-firm groomers is what's up anyway.

Keep us updated on your 4 days of winging it -- & hope you have a great trip.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Whomever decided not to ski this weekend missed out. Yesterday sunshine most of the day at Cannon and snowing today at the bush. Just took a run down Rumble and it was fantastic. Now taking a break with a sip of sunshine ( farmstead Edward just kicked)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone