• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

bdfreetuna

Tuesday/Wednesday looks iffy but Thursday has been trending well

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The trend this year has been the early precip on the "warm day" gets pushed forward to the cooler next day and back end upslope.

What I saw a couple days ago looked bad as they all did this year... early massive rain followed by no precip then freeze

Seems to be following the pattern of the early warm going dry (for whatever reason even if early-seeded) and holding the moisture until snow is ready to fall.

We're looking at an overall solid gainer, maybe not for the flats but for the ski slopes. Following the pattern to a T

Smellytele

The trend this year has been the early precip on the "warm day" gets pushed forward to the cooler next day and back end upslope.

What I saw a couple days ago looked bad as they all did this year... early massive rain followed by no precip then freeze

Seems to be following the pattern of the early warm going dry (for whatever reason even if early-seeded) and holding the moisture until snow is ready to fall.

We're looking at an overall solid gainer, maybe not for the flats but for the ski slopes. Following the pattern to a T

Latest run has it colder and showing no liquid. At least in the places I cared about for this coming week (Sugarbush, Stowe and Bolton)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm going out Thursday and Friday. Fingers crossed! Thinking Killington Thursday and Pico Friday. There's a legitimate chance there could be 4" at the Skyeship and around a foot up top. Crazy crazy!

Hawk

At sugarbush the melting was not that bad except for trails that face due south and southwest. But if this is a heavy wet snow I bet it will make up. One thing this morning is the trend went a little warmer. Still early.

machski

First thing this morning for SR/SL on the trend is heavier snowfall amounts (Wildcat too). Seeing 10-15 and many are indicating they are leaning towards adding an even deeper band. With a transference of lows from the inland to a coastal, I wouldn't bet on winds subsiding anywhere Thursday. Pack you skins, could very well be an earn those turns day, especially the more North and east you go in NE.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Question is does this snow, assuming it's a 6-12 scenario, make up completely for the few days of melting?
Hardly any melt on hill at Sunday River. Was shocked yesterday to get out and find the snow still powdery in the woods. Definitely got warmer than the weekend yesterday as everything softened and got mushy, but no real loss of depth in the woods or trails. While it peaked around 51, still mid February sun angle didn't allow for a more powerful melt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

kendo

At Stowe everything groomed is skiing well. Run of the day is Hayride.

Got to high 40s yesterday with little noticable loss, except on the front four (closed). Everyone hoping this Weds - Thurs event delivers!

Smellytele

At sugarbush the melting was not that bad except for trails that face due south and southwest. But if this is a heavy wet snow I bet it will make up. One thing this morning is the trend went a little warmer. Still early.

At the bush now. Little crusty to start but softened up quick. Castle rock is in need of snow. Came down middle earth which coverage was pretty good and soft. Run under heaven’s gate was slick in the middle but the edges skied well. Paradise skied well but went up the long trail a bit and then in and it was very scraped off and we didn’t help it out. Once down a few 100 feet it was better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

If this delivers I'll be at Magic on Friday or possibly Thursday. Plan B is Gore for Friday. Either way I got passes to burn before end of season and I'm done skiing ice after total BS @ Pico on Sunday (which would have been Magic but my old man had nothing to do and he likes Pico... we both regretted that... to the extent I've crossed Pico off my list due to consistently being skied off and hardly worth the drive and mostly boring terrain) and mediocre Cannon a few days before.

Looking like a nice hit for White Mountains but I'm saving my 2 remaining Cannon passes for corn harvest which I assume starts next week or so

Also starting to think POWDR sucks at running ski areas. Every time I go to Killington or Pico it gets skied off instantly. Even on low traffic days it's like they barely scratch the trail with the groomer. Must preserve the ice pack for late season at all costs I guess. Should have gone to Berkshire East, they're not afraid to drop the tiller and 5 visits this year = ZERO ice.

Last edited: