• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

Whiteface was ridiculously good today. No crowds/lines except for a reasonable gondola. All other lifts ski on.

Caught 10th gondy or so. Calf deep first run on empire. Second public chair up to summit. Knee deep right side of skyward. Skied right back on to summit, waist deep on summit lift line/powerline.

Absurdly good. So fun.

Pretty drive down rt9 today. Super 8 in glens falls isn’t so bad. Gore tomorrow.

ScottySkis

Mccolley snow everywhere.
Awesome day for sure and so expensive lol lol 30$ for legitimate steep hill
Sweet snow from Mary J wife of big d almost just joking
It definitely amazing how it can be bad conditions somewhere like Catskills but about 150 miles to small lake effect the difference few hours away from each other
Sun bou today and it was pretty cool weather fights for snow to coming

Guess a foot feel yesterday into today
Best day of the year for me today
Great see my friends Cornhead and Big D.
Definitely recommend for anyone who wants to have fun before thongs go south
Sunday me and Bob be at Elk

abc

Stowe was pretty good too.

I didn’t make first chair. Far from it. Got hung up in traffic getting to the parking. But lucked out with front row at the gondi.

A couple quick runs on trail convinced me I’ve already missed the hero powder on the groomers. Though the bump runs still held powder in their troughs, which I harvested. It was pretty cold. Although I was dressed warm, my feet was going numb. I had to break shortly to get the blood flowing.

Afterward, I headed into the trees. Deep, and light dry snow. Delicious was the word that came to my head when someone asked.

Line wasn’t too bad. Less than 10 min in the single’s line at the worst. Once lunch hour hit, it’s down to less than 5 min, or just 2-3 people by 2. By 3, no more lines. I think the early birds were done by then, or slowing down by going in the woods (as I did).

All in all, an excellent day. One that I skipped lunch for. (Nibbled half a sandwich during my “mini feet warming break”)

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:

drjeff

Burke did not suck today... 8-10" of light fluff in the woods on top of a nice, solid base! And my attached pic of the liftiline, per a Burke Mountain Academy coach I rode up the lift with, was their longest line of the year (took my wife and I less than 4 minutes!!) IMG_20200229_082705392.jpgIMG_20200229_105437374.jpgIMG_20200229_105441524.jpgIMG_20200229_105935677.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sledride

Bolton was great today. No lines. Vista Glades and Devils Playground were nice and soft, probably my favorite runs. Doug's woods was great too. Probably still tons of fresh tracks at BV if you know where to go off map. They were reporting 28" but honestly it skied more like a foot to me.IMG_2322.jpg

abc

BTW, isn’t there a back country trail in Stowe that goes from the top all the way down to the cross country ski center?

Smellytele

Burke did not suck today... 8-10" of light fluff in the woods on top of a nice, solid base! And my attached pic of the liftiline, per a Burke Mountain Academy coach I rode up the lift with, was their longest line of the year (took my wife and I less than 4 minutes!!) View attachment 26476View attachment 26477View attachment 26478View attachment 26479

Now you can go back and stand in line at mt snow. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Now you can go back and stand in line at mt snow. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Trust me, my wife and I had multiple conversations about that (as did a few of our other Mount Snow friends who were at Burke today with their racer kids) today... I get to see the Mount Snow lines first hand tomorrow, while my wife is still up at Burke with our son watching him race in the boys U16 VT state championship GS race...

Next Thursday - Sunday I get to check out Cannon's lift lines as our daughter is racing in the Eastern Highschool Championships there....

BenedictGomez

isn’t there a back country trail in Stowe that goes from the top all the way down to the cross country ski center?

You can actually get all the way to Matterhorn, which is probably more like 1/2 mile farther than the XC center. The irony is it was originally cut as an actual ski trail, but never made it onto being a part of Stowe. Weird history.

KustyTheKlown

Burke did not suck today... 8-10" of light fluff in the woods on top of a nice, solid base! And my attached pic of the liftiline, per a Burke Mountain Academy coach I rode up the lift with, was their longest line of the year (took my wife and I less than 4 minutes!!) View attachment 26476View attachment 26477View attachment 26478View attachment 26479

No it’s not. Was substantially longer on MLK Sunday 9” pow day.

KustyTheKlown

Where does it start from?

Is it easy to follow?

It’s the Bruce trail. Prob the most skied backcountry route at Stowe. Starts from the top of forerunner, follows a very obvious cut trail, with some signage, ends at the matterhorn. It’s a CCC trail and extremely skied

urungus

It’s the Bruce trail. Prob the most skied backcountry route at Stowe. Starts from the top of forerunner, follows a very obvious cut trail, with some signage, ends at the matterhorn. It’s a CCC trail and extremely skied

Always wanted to try Bruce ...how does it compare in steepness / difficulty to, say, Goat ?

abc

Always wanted to try Bruce ...how does it compare in steepness / difficulty to, say, Goat ?
Nowhere near the difficulty, from what I’m told.

But navigation could be an issue. After all, it’s a back country trail. Not patrolled.

abc

I was talking to some patrol guy before. He said people do get into trouble by following tracks going left off the trail itself. But the terrain gets much steeper and trees get real tight further down.

Probably not dangerous but just not enjoyable.