• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

BenedictGomez

I'm only seeing a few inches up in Northern NE now. Really folks, we can't get excited by storms that haven't even coasted in on the west coast!!

For years I've made this P.S.A. on this website. I gave up last year. Have at it if it makes them happy.

EDIT: The worst is when someone posts a big snowstorm 8 or 10 days out.

EDIT2: The 2nd worst is when someone posts what they think is a big snowstorm depicted because they dont understand how to read the models to interpret atmospheric layering to realize what they think is a big snowstorm is actually a big sleet or freezing rain storm.

drjeff

For years I've made this P.S.A. on this website. I gave up last year. Have at it if it makes them happy.

EDIT: The worst is when someone posts a big snowstorm 8 or 10 days out.

EDIT2: The 2nd worst is when someone posts what they think is a big snowstorm depicted because they dont understand how to read the models to interpret atmospheric layering to realize what they think is a big snowstorm is actually a big sleet or freezing rain storm.

Agree...

If one is looking at models, the vast majority of the time, if it's more than 48hrs out, about the only thing to take from it is that something *might* happen. To try and put specifics on it, well just not going to yield a high level of success the overwhelming majority of the time.

Forecasting has gotten much better, the reality is that there are just way too many variables that ultimately determine what and where a system may go/do than any model can accurately account for, and to some degree, that may never change

bdfreetuna

Any of you weather experts want to give a forecast for Cannon besides the 6-12" with possible early mixing I'm guessing?

Glenn

Saturday may be doable in SoVT. Sunday doesn't look to be all that great.

2Planker

Sat OK at Cat & Cannon.
Sun is iffy w/ possible "non crystaline precipitation" aka RAIN

bdfreetuna

Sat OK at Cat & Cannon.
Sun is iffy w/ possible "non crystaline precipitation" aka RAIN

2700' elevation forecast (right next to Bretton Woods). I'm planning on Cannon and Bretton. Seems like some wiggle room according to Weather Underground. This forecast has improved since yesterday and last night, but it was pretty decent then as well.

Looking at various models it seems to be a solid "safe zone". I don't care if a few ice pellets drop in with the snow. But if this forecast is true, Bretton Woods will be nearly 100% on woods/glades and Cannon will be in the best shape of the season.

Idk but I'm pretty stoked. Good opportunity to use some pre-paid cheapo Cannon/Bretton passes.

I'd also be pretty happy going to Whiteface, Vermont, or Gore in the aftermath if you don't mind skiing some groomed trails and manky woods with an improved base.

Admittedly I'm fine with groomer zooming thanks to TunaSpeed version 3.1 ... ripping icy groomers is my weakness but I haven't experienced those conditions yet this season (except at Gunstock).

I'll get in another half day at Berkshire East tomorrow to prime my legs. I may do a 3 day in NH and ski Wed-Fri if Waterville, Burke or Wildcat appear to be good skiing for a Day 3. Mad River Glen, Bolton and Jay also a Day 3 option depending how things go.

fc.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Just got this disgraceful email from Windham.

More Snow in the Forecast! The Weekend is Looking Good!
Snowmakers have had a super-productive week, taking full advantage of the cold temperatures to lay down some incredible snow on both peaks. There's more natural snow in the forecast for Saturday & Sunday, and there's a packed list of events for the weekend.

ScottySkis

Still curious about all these threads i started that resulted in no storm...
Ive skied quite a bit of new snow so far..

Because Stowe gets a lot of natural snow compared to 90% of all over local hills
I say in any winter that they normal conditions their is a lot more average snow fall