• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

njdiver85

Thinking of skiing Mount Snow tomorrow until the changeover, which hopefully won't happen until 3PM? Thoughts?

bdfreetuna

Northwest wind isn’t an issue at Cannon. Taft slalom will be wind blown and maybe skylight. South wind is the issue. It blows up through the notch and gets funneled compressing it

That's good news. I hope it's really not 40mph winds and minus 25 windchill all day even if the lifts run. The snow forecast is looking pretty good so I expect to be skiing powder in the woods mostly, hopefully enjoying some shelter from the wind as well.

kingslug

Well, it was 17 below Saturday and with a blackout all the locals were gone..Sunday was warmer but still a blackout..then Monday with good conditions the locals came ...Still the lines were not that bad..around 11:30 was the longest so I headed to Spruce to ski Whirlaway a few times and when I got back..everyone was in for lunch..so no more lines...

KustyTheKlown

looking like novt maintains mostly/all snow today. im thinking sugarbush/killington this weekend as i just realized champlain valley card remains blakced out thru 2/23

tnt1234

Once again can't get further than cats...outside chance for S.Vt if it's worth it.

Did I mention we had a nice day at Montage last weekend - first time ever there. The steep runs were fun - but the steep pitches are short. But had nice edge able moguls.

Nice lodge. Nice looking bar with good beers on tap, though I did not partake.

Top f the mountain pretty flat, but glad to have finally tried it.

Crowds weren't bad at all.

bdfreetuna

I'm up in North Woodstock/ Lincoln now... certainly appears the storm is overperforming. Total blizzard on the back roads between I-91 and here. Ended up pushing a couple stuck old ladies in a FWD Volkswagon with my Subaru up a hill on 118. I kept thinking the hill was going to end soon but I ended up pushing these ladies about 3 miles with my bumper. Zero damage to either of our vehicles... nobody had cell phone service and I couldn't leave these ladies out there to freeze. Burned a little clutch but oh well. Turned into a real adventure when various people tried to stop to help and got stuck temporarily themselves in some cases.

On the way up 91 multiple cars completely totaled off the side of the highway. Very sporty drive up today.

From all appearances on the drive up I would go skiing literally anywhere north of Brattleboro tomorrow and expect it to be good.

bdfreetuna

At one point I almost gave up, had already taken all their AAA and contact info with a promise to call from North Woodstock. We were in a bad spot which kept me sliding into a ditch myself, and I was barely able to push them at a 45 degree angle downhill with my car half in a ditch. Had to make sure it wasn't going to turn into a "everybody's stuck" situation.

But one guy in a Rav4 came by around that time and I wrangled him into the situation, seeing if his cell phone worked (nope). Then he tried to push the car physically (not happening). So he was about to leave when I assured I was driving to call AAA, and he got stuck in a ditch in the side of the road trying to go around the ladies car (there was plenty of room, unbelievable).

By the time I had already bumper pushed their car at least 2 miles with half that time being bumper to bumper. That car had zero traction and my car was locked in... what could I do? I have a manual transmission so "crawling" isn't the easiest thing to do, especially bumper to bumper without burning up my clutch. So that Volkswagon took some good rams from behind like bumper cars on at least a few occasions before it turned into a steady push.

Long story short more people stopped, had no cell service, tried to push, got temporarily stuck... eventually after sucking enough exhaust trying to push the bumper I said everyone clear out, we're gonna try the Subaru again. At this point her car was at least no sliding into a ditch. So I rammed her car and my car back end slid off the side into the ditch, but I still had 2 and a half wheels on the road and my bumper making contact. Gunned it and pushed her up the last 250 feet or so with my car at a 45 degree angle half in the ditch.

Then I followed them down the hill for 8 miles or so into town... success
I was so jazzed after that situation I immediately hit the Woodstock Inn & Brewery :beer:

deadheadskier

Staff member
good on you helping out. And yup, zero cell service in almost that entire area whether on 112, 116, 118 or 25. I've traveled them all to the hospital in Woodsville for work. Hell, even the hospital has zero service there and I have to ask to borrow their land line when I need to make a call.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Cannon reporting 7-8 but also that it drifted so woods maybe the best bet today. Going to take a few runs this afternoon. I’ll update

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Cannon reporting 7-8 but also that it drifted so woods maybe the best bet today. Going to take a few runs this afternoon. I’ll update

Yup woods were good, that's pretty much all I skied besides exploring Mittersill after lunch. I was kind of amazed how *bad* conditions were compared to recent Vermont trips though. Super variable but Mittersill seemed like more snow on the trails. The wind really did a number I guess. I got my skis tuned during my lunch break :p

I got 2 hrs sleep the night before so I'm just glad the woods were good and I skied as long as I did.

I heard on the radio snow report on the way home Magic got 9"? Website says 6-8... anyway I know where my next ski day will be