• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

bdfreetuna

Why are you skiing groomers at Killington when all glades and natural are open?

I was at Pico which requires a lot of trail skiing, your choice of icy bumps or icy groom and the woods were passable but almost nobody was skiing them. Haven't been to K this year, might go in the spring but I used to go a lot and just got tired of everything skied off by 9:30am.

Definitely not just "they have more skiers", it's just a worse grooming mentality to other places. My opinion is if they even bother to groom a trail, it should be fun to ski and hold up for a while. It's corner cutting you don't experience at some other mountains.

I really do appreciate a mountain which makes the actual trail skiing fun and "hero snow" as much as possible. One of the areas Mad River Glen really shines that not everyone knows. I've been to Bretton Woods a couple times and obviously they don't F around in that department either.

JimG.

Staff member
Why are you skiing groomers at Killington when all glades and natural are open?

That was my first question too.

Plus I did ski a bunch of groomers this past Sunday (I was with a group of other skiers) and I thought they skied very well and was surprised there was not more ice.

bdfreetuna

well Pico sucked and I don't tolerate glare ice on terrain that is supposedly groomed and regularly so after a decent snow and week of cold temps, or a 1/100th inch dust on ice that they consider freshly groomed

If the natural terrain sucks (icy), and the woods are firm and crusty, at least I expect them to drop the tiller on the main trails.

I had 3 wipe outs on ice @ Pico on Sunday. It's pretty rare that I fall even over a whole season unless it's deep powder or gently hitting a tree, etc. I called it an early day because it wasn't worth getting injured to ski glare ice, let alone the other poorly manicured features such as a big horizontal rut at the bottom of B slope that if I didn't jump early to lessen the blow, would have really F'd me up.

Also something going on with the main summit lift being closed for repairs for a while in the morning. Whole experience was sub-par and I thought on a Sunday Pico is supposed to be on their game for the crowds. Not so.

Can't speak for Killington but Pico did a half assed job that maybe some people are used to. I've gotten used to it as well so I'll take some years off from Pico.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

That was my first question too.

Plus I did ski a bunch of groomers this past Sunday (I was with a group of other skiers) and I thought they skied very well and was surprised there was not more ice.

agreed that k skied great this sunday. i only really used groomers to get to glades and naturals, and one run with my friend and his wife. no noticeably poor conditions.

can't speak to pico, have not been at all this year, but in my opinion its always been way more corner-cutty than killington. but that is pico's nature - less expensive, no frills, uncrowded locals option vs. major destination resort around the corner. i think killington does a fine job with their grooming. their ops in general are top notch. they open before halloween and close after memorial day for fucks sake. they care about their skiers.

i'd be wary of lift closures at K on thurs/fri

......and of course my plan is to ski both K and Pico Thursday and Friday! Any intel on what lifts may be able to stay open based on local knowledge? I'm already past the point of being able to cancel my hotel room so don't have many options other than just eat the cost (which I don't really want to do).

abc

Can’t get away Friday. Have to settle for sloppy seconds on Saturday.

May try Wildcat again. I think that maybe one of the lesser mobbed in the V-evil empire?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
......and of course my plan is to ski both K and Pico Thursday and Friday! Any intel on what lifts may be able to stay open based on local knowledge? I'm already past the point of being able to cancel my hotel room so don't have many options other than just eat the cost (which I don't really want to do).

Get up to K1 lodge and see what spins. The great thing about K is with all the different exposures wind really can't shut down the whole mountain- you'll still get up something. As Krusty said, the Snowdon triple will be the most reliable option, and given the southern direction of the wind Superstar and North Ridge may be going early as well as they'd be blowing straight into the wind rather than across like the lifts at Bear and the Skyeship.

And as I said before in this thread, NOAA forecast at 3,000' has the wind peaking at 7am and dropping down quickly after that. Wind speed down to 50mph by 10am and still decreasing.

ScottySkis

Get up to K1 lodge and see what spins. The great thing about K is with all the different exposures wind really can't shut down the whole mountain- you'll still get up something. As Krusty said, the Snowdon triple will be the most reliable option, and given the southern direction of the wind Superstar and North Ridge may be going early as well as they'd be blowing straight into the wind rather than across like the lifts at Bear and the Skyeship.

And as I said before in this thread, NOAA forecast at 3,000' has the wind peaking at 7am and dropping down quickly after that. Wind speed down to 50mph by 10am and still decreasing.

Every time I heard about crazy winds this season
Actually had no wind at all

mister moose

Also starting to think POWDR sucks at running ski areas. Every time I go to Killington or Pico it gets skied off instantly. Even on low traffic days it's like they barely scratch the trail with the groomer. Must preserve the ice pack for late season at all costs I guess. Should have gone to Berkshire East, they're not afraid to drop the tiller and 5 visits this year = ZERO ice.

I haven't been over to Pico this year. It does ski smaller, but on a good day it's a blast. Lately Killington has been skiing really well. Saturday I did bug out at 11am, but it was excellent in the morning, essentially zero scratch on boulevards like Skyeburst. Some ice in high traffic or high wind scrubbed areas. The gun skiing has been good as well.

The wind is forecast to be 60mph out of the east southeast Thursday morning, veering to South by noon, and finishing strong out of the West. In Thursday am I'd be expecting lifts like Superstar and NRQ to be getting strong crosswinds, and may be on hold. The wind is strong all night, so expect drifing. East facing trails are going to be scoured/drifted. Employees might be late getting in, which mght lead to additional delays. Temps are mid to upper 20s, so Im also expecting medium weight slabby wind pack. Protected areas should be fun.

jimmywilson69

I skied Bittersweet at about 2 PM on Saturday and it couldn't have been more terrifying :lol: boiler plate and 3 foot mounds of snow spaced at 10-feet on center. That wasn't what was scary. The talent... Oh the talent trying to navigate that mess was absolutely dangerous. That run from the top of needles to superstar lift was more terrifying that skiing lower ovation after a thaw freeze event.

Luckily lots of great skiing otherwise.

Killingtime

I skied Bittersweet at about 2 PM on Saturday and it couldn't have been more terrifying :lol: boiler plate and 3 foot mounds of snow spaced at 10-feet on center. That wasn't what was scary. The talent... Oh the talent trying to navigate that mess was absolutely dangerous. That run from the top of needles to superstar lift was more terrifying that skiing lower ovation after a thaw freeze event.

Luckily lots of great skiing otherwise.

Haha Bittersweet is usually a skied off mess after 11:00 on Saturdays. Forget 2:00.

jimmywilson69

I had skied it around 11 and it was actually not nearly the condition it was at 2. However the talent level was equally as bad, but there was snow for them to edge to...

Sirbannedalot

Nothing good for Catskills.
I just waiting sadly for bike season to start
Wish my crazy allgergies would go way which gets much worse in non winter temperature
Yep ski seasons all done. Just quit and ride your bike. Will be skiing for 3 more months.

Glenn

NWS dialed this one back a bit in the Southern Greens. Now a winter weather advisory.