• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

kingslug

Stowe reporting 14 and still coming down...must find way to get there... I'm going to PC next Saturday but they havent gotten snow since the 23rd.

drjeff

My wife is up at Burke right now (got there about 10:30 last night) tells me it's about 6-8" of semi dense snow on the ground this morning.

As she put it to me, if it skiing nicely, she may need multiple reminders to pause for a few minutes to watch our daughter take her race runs in the ladies U16 VT State Championship GS today ;)

She also said that 91 was clear and dry last night all the way from the Mass Pike interchange all the way up to Lyndonville

Bumpsis

Sugarloaf reporting 14". Leaving today for a full week!!! Hope to get first chair tomorrow. Yeah, I know, chopped up leftovers but I'm happy to get that.

abc

My wife is up at Burke right now (got there about 10:30 last night) tells me it's about 6-8" of semi dense snow on the ground this morning.

As she put it to me, if it skiing nicely, she may need multiple reminders to pause for a few minutes to watch our daughter take her race runs in the ladies U16 VT State Championship GS today ;)

She also said that 91 was clear and dry last night all the way from the Mass Pike interchange all the way up to Lyndonville
Any doubt why "it" won't ski "nicely? :lol:

drjeff

Any doubt why "it" won't ski "nicely? [emoji38]

Apparently the layer of the 1st 2 or 3" that fell yesterday before the colder air started working in is a bit thick. No problems for free skiing per my wife on her wide, tip rockered skis, makes for a highly variable and grabby surface for my daughter on her skinny GS race skis though from what she told me....

And while if my daughter sees this she'll be more mad at me than a 16yr old girl usually is at her parents, but my wife just happened to be in the right place at the right time with her camera and caught our daughter mid crash after she got a bit late at the red gate and stuffed her downhill ski into the soft stuff out of the race line and her binding pre-released going about 35-40 at this point, as evidenced by her right ski up in the air in this picture!! Only the ego of a 16yr old was hurt!! Lol

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

I was up at 5:00AM ready to drive to Bolton. Ultimately wasn't the best day to take off from work though especially for a 6 hour drive. Maybe Magic will be in decent shape Sunday and I can squeeze in some turns before it's eyes on next Thurs/Fri and more wildcard weather.

sledride

Think I'm heading to BV tomorrow. They're reporting 20" now. Any tips tuna?

bdfreetuna

Think I'm heading to BV tomorrow. They're reporting 20" now. Any tips tuna?

My must ski list would be something like this... I assume you've never been from the question

Preacher/Devil's Playground
Cobrass Woods (sneaks up on you on the right side on the straight section after the big curve on Cobrass, the sign is semi hidden in the woods)
Lost Boyz
Adam's Solitude + Dougs Woods
TNT
Vista Glade

Hopefully you like tree skiing or you won't like my list. Whether you ski Timberline side in the morning or afternoon, that's up to you-- but do not miss it.

Also the lifts there are really slow, so use the time to look at the map and plan your run accurately. The map is pretty accurate and you can tell what's fun based on the map. There's a lot of hidden stuff all over the place. For example if you really like steep/tight trees you can duck to the left right at the top of Lost Boyz... pretty tight in there but its Lost Girlz and a tougher alternate route.

Lifts are slow so you'll ski a full day easily due to extended breaks in between runs. Timberline opens at 10:00 -- Doug's Woods is the widest and least likely to be tracked out so you might want to hit that early. Adam's Solitude right next to that don't miss either, it's more like a long wooded trail with an optional cliff drop and fun features.

Only bother with Wilderness Chair if you're satisfied with main mountain and Timberline. There's good stuff there but it's got a long flat run out. If you like low angle woods you can ski the entire way down to the left side of the lift.