• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

GregoryIsaacs

I'm hoping the 2019-2020 season wont be remembered as the year of "33 degrees and rain"..... I don't think there's anything more excruciating to a skier than that type of weather.

gnardawg

Fixed it. Misery weather no matter the hobby or lack there of.

I'm hoping the 2019-2020 season wont be remembered as the year of "33 degrees and rain"..... I don't think there's anything more excruciating to anyone than that type of weather.

tnt1234

big nor'easter on next weekends models. but we've all seen that shit before...

I think this is all some kind of cosmic joke.....there are aliens or supernatural beings, observing the actions of east Coast Skiers.

X: Why are you manipulating their weather forecasting devices again?
Y: Pay attention to their emotional state.
X: Hmm....I sense joy....unbridled happiness....an incredible sense of possibility and hope for fulfillment.
Y: Yes....good....now watch what happens when I let the real weather forecast be known...ready? Now.....
X: OH! My goodness! Such sadness, and despair! I fear for them!
Y: Interesting, isn't it?
X: It's too much sadness! Give them hope again!
Y: I'll wait until the weekend is over. Let them stay home and get some stuff done. Then I'll manipulate the forecast again.

cdskier

I think this is all some kind of cosmic joke.....there are aliens or supernatural beings, observing the actions of east Coast Skiers.

X: Why are you manipulating their weather forecasting devices again?
Y: Pay attention to their emotional state.
X: Hmm....I sense joy....unbridled happiness....an incredible sense of possibility and hope for fulfillment.
Y: Yes....good....now watch what happens when I let the real weather forecast be known...ready? Now.....
X: OH! My goodness! Such sadness, and despair! I fear for them!
Y: Interesting, isn't it?
X: It's too much sadness! Give them hope again!
Y: I'll wait until the weekend is over. Let them stay home and get some stuff done. Then I'll manipulate the forecast again.

82881980_10215264564997317_1342637983961972736_n.jpg

slatham

I recommend refraining from starting new threads called "New storm on the way" or the equivalent. F'ing kiss of death.

And after the experience with this storm someone has the balls to mention next weekend? Do we not learn?

In this pattern the models cannot be trusted regarding details like low placement, rain/snow line, vertical temp profiles, etc until the event is pretty much upon us. Sure they will give a hint that a "storm" is coming, but from a practical perspective the details are not to be trusted.

Edit: Threads called "Cold January on tap" should also be avoided. They ruin the whole month!

Zand

Looks like the best chance of avoiding a washout in New England this weekend is SR/Loaf. The storm is taking a terrible track but luckily it's been cool to the south so not a lot of warm air pouring into the storm. Midlevels may stay cool enough over northern Maine to keep it sleet instead of rain/freezing rain.

Still 2+ months to turn this show around.

Glenn

From NWS Albany:

This type of system often results
in a significant winter storm at this time of year, but in this
case the atmosphere is unseasonably warm for late January, and
precipitation for most of our area will be in the form of rain.

BenedictGomez

Threads called "Cold January on tap" should also be avoided. They ruin the whole month!

Man does not currently have the ability to predict the weather far in advance. This "Cold January" being one spectacular failure, but if you follow the 3 month predictions in particular, you'd begin to suspect a money with a dartboard could do almost as well.

Hawk

Ill be in the Alps..eating wiener schnitzel next weekend..hopefuly things turn around here..

Where?? The giant ridge that has been plaguing them for the last month is finally breaking down just in time for you. I will be in Zermatt on the 8th.

bdfreetuna

Just go skiing. Maybe we're tree skiing in March but your legs will be toast if you don't carve it up now one way or another. Does the trail have snow? OK, go skiing.

I know what it's like to be spoiled on powder skiing with recent excellent winters (and you never know when it turns around). Carve it up until then. You can always be a better skier and it's good exercise!

jimmywilson69

Just go skiing. Maybe we're tree skiing in March but your legs will be toast if you don't carve it up now one way or another. Does the trail have snow? OK, go skiing.

I know what it's like to be spoiled on powder skiing with recent excellent winters (and you never know when it turns around). Carve it up until then. You can always be a better skier and it's good exercise!

no worries Tuna I've been out west already and rolled some runs over lunch. I'm not going to ski in a downpour tomorrow but I'll be back at it first thing Sunday!