• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Ski Resorts Are Dying

JimG.

Staff member
So just a total fail in terms of presenting accurate data on any topic by Skier Thunberg.

It appears that skier visits and participants are slightly growing if you adjust for "bad snow years" (and even then still slightly). I take it as good news!

Can you explain why the video presenter thought visits and skiers were in suck steep decline though? I'm not about to watch it again and check her sources so this is a lazy question I suppose.

Fake news.

cdskier

So just a total fail in terms of presenting accurate data on any topic by Skier Thunberg.

It appears that skier visits and participants are slightly growing if you adjust for "bad snow years" (and even then still slightly). I take it as good news!

Can you explain why the video presenter thought visits and skiers were in suck steep decline though? I'm not about to watch it again and check her sources so this is a lazy question I suppose.

Well...at one point when she said "down to 8M last year" from "11M" she was using an article from The Atlantic that was published in 2014 as her source. How an article from 6 years ago could be a source for anything relating to "last year" is beyond me. Presumably the article was talking about the decline from the 2010/2011 to 2011/2012 season. It was steep. But it was a 1 year blip and bounced right back up the following year. I'm going to presume it was a bad snow year or something like that.

BenedictGomez

Fake news.

Pretty much this.

If I wanted to play defense attorney for Millennial Girl, I'd suggest that in the early 1980s there were about 50M skier visits & now there are about 55M skier visits, BUT the U.S. population has massively exploded 40% in that timeframe, suggesting something like a ~20% drop in skier visits on a per capita basis. But that is NOT what she's alleging, or at least, if that's what she meant she didnt say so at anytime in that long Valley Girl rambling video.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
She's taking a health risk wandering around a vacant building without any breathing protection. Lots of mold in that building !!!!
My opinion went downhill from the start .

WinS

You weren't aware because that is downright inaccurate. "Flat" would be more accurate than whatever that other nonsense was. We had our 4th best year for skier visits ever last year. Our highest ever was 60.5M (in 2010/2011). Last year was 59.3M. The highest year in the 80s was only 53.9M. The highest year in the 90s was 54.6M. The average of all the 80s was 50.2. The 90s average was 52.3. The 00s average was 57.4. And the 2010s average was 55.4.

In terms of skier participation, NSAA only shows the mid 90s through current. During that time the number was between 8.3M and 10.3M. (and both that high and low point was in the 2010s). If you graphed a trend line through the data, it would essentially be flat.

Very disappointed in how this turned out. I agreed to the interview to discuss what effects of climate change we are seeing at Sugarbush.
There was a lot of misleading information and I did not feel my full comments were put in the right context. The fact is we are seeing an impact and are planning to stay ahead of the curve so we remain sustainable for the future. Flat is correct and everyone in the industry is focused of growing new skiers and we are seeing progress. Are some affected more than others? Of course.

legalskier

This video is an absolute mess of errors, combined with shoehorned left-wing political claims stuffed into what's ostensibly a ski industry demographics video.

"Cheddar Inc. is a live streaming financial news network ...broadcast[ing] live daily from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, the Flatiron Building in New York City, and the White House lawn and briefing room in Washington, D.C. covering new products, technologies, and services." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_(TV_channel)
Doesn't seem very left wing.

Orca

"Cheddar Inc. is a live streaming financial news network ...broadcast[ing] live daily from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Nasdaq, the Flatiron Building in New York City, and the White House lawn and briefing room in Washington, D.C. covering new products, technologies, and services." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_(TV_channel)

I thought Cheddar was the chick's name. She talks like she could have a name like Cheddar.

BenedictGomez

Why, just because it's financial in nature?

The founder is the former President of Buzzfeed, which is about as liberal as it gets.

BenedictGomez

I thought Cheddar was the chick's name. She talks like she could have a name like Cheddar.

I'll go with something like Madison or Mackenzie.

And her Dad is a corporate executive somewhere in Connecticut, probably Greenwich. She grew up LOADED, has absolutely no sense of reality, and he got her into a great college even though she's dim as hell. That old chestnut.

njdiver85

OMG. Perhaps she should have looked into the proper pronunciation of the defunct resort. It's pronounced "NEV-uh-lee"! Not "No-vell"!