• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bellaire Catskills ski snowboard hill thread

ScottySkis

Get to use my new skis on this Friday at Bell
First time for me using rocker and chamber ski
Thanks Jim for helping me get these skis and
Thanks for being helping me a lot
I really appreciate it. So does my family

tnt1234

Get to use my new skis on this Friday at Bell
First time for me using rocker and chamber ski
Thanks Jim for helping me get these skis and
Thanks for being helping me a lot
I really appreciate it. So does my family
what did you get?

gladerider

would like to go to Belle this Sunday. hope they recover from the rain Tuesday
on my way down from Sugarbush on Tuesday, it was raining hard when i was passing by exit 19 & 20 on thruway. it was snowing hard in the NVT all day but as soon as i got to Albany the temps kicked up.

sux for the cats

legalskier

would like to go to Belle this Sunday. hope they recover from the rain Tuesday
on my way down from Sugarbush on Tuesday, it was raining hard when i was passing by exit 19 & 20 on thruway. it was snowing hard in the NVT all day but as soon as i got to Albany the temps kicked up.

sux for the cats

I was there yesterday & spoke to someone who was there also on Tuesday- he said the rain came in around 1 pm & was light. I lapped Winisook for the last hour as it was getting blasted with manmade-lots of fun. Here's my report from the "Prez Week 2020" thread:

Belleayre 2-19-20
Cold & windy with on & off snow squalls all afternoon. Surface was frozen cord & frozen hardpack, snow guns firing on two upper trails. Good weekday crowd with quite a few kids though not like a weekend. Saw several instructors doing lessons including a kids group.
Going forward it looks to my eye like Belle is in good enough shape to make it to April assuming seasonable temps. There appears to be enough cover for tree skiing but I didn't venture in. However, an employee told me that there will be no further snowmaking after this weekend. A decision has been made to go with low energy snowmaking and phase out the diesel powered system, which he said would end up producing far less snow. He said the cover is "thin."
I suppose only time will tell....

gladerider

I was there yesterday & spoke to someone who was there also on Tuesday- he said the rain came in around 1 pm & was light. I lapped Winisook for the last hour as it was getting blasted with manmade-lots of fun. Here's my report from the "Prez Week 2020" thread:

Belleayre 2-19-20
Cold & windy with on & off snow squalls all afternoon. Surface was frozen cord & frozen hardpack, snow guns firing on two upper trails. Good weekday crowd with quite a few kids though not like a weekend. Saw several instructors doing lessons including a kids group.
Going forward it looks to my eye like Belle is in good enough shape to make it to April assuming seasonable temps. There appears to be enough cover for tree skiing but I didn't venture in. However, an employee told me that there will be no further snowmaking after this weekend. A decision has been made to go with low energy snowmaking and phase out the diesel powered system, which he said would end up producing far less snow. He said the cover is "thin."
I suppose only time will tell....

cool. thanks for the intel. looks like i will be there this sunday.

JimG.

Staff member
cool. thanks for the intel. looks like i will be there this sunday.

I was at Belle yesterday as well and can confirm that it skied very well. Great bumps on Winnisook.

Even the trees have a base and frankly some could open up if the Cats were to ever get a 12" storm. A lot to ask it seems this season.

ScottySkis

Sun was nice today Friday
Warm warmer than what I heard it was supposed to be
Ate lunch upper lodge
Grabbed my lunch from my lunch bag which was downstairs by gomdulaa
Put in my hoodie pocket
Very nice day of skiing
Thanks Jim for helping me with skis and running to help me get to the hills
Chamber rocking skis is nice
And having them inch or two Skinner is huge help for regular EC conditions

ScottySkis

From an hour ago looking now snowing in Catskills
"It is currently snowing at the Belle. We have 34 trails and 4 lifts spinning today. It will be a little windy out there which could affect lift operations throughout the day. The gondola is currently on a windhold and Superchief, Lift #7, Lightning Quad, and the magic carpet are currently operating. For a full snow report and updates please visit belleayre.com. #belleayre"

ScottySkis

They are still planning on making snow
They probably have no choice
From today post at 5 pm from facecrap
The snowmakers are back at it right now and tomorrow! The plan tonight is Deer Run, Mohican, Easy In and Discovery Way and tomorrow Wanatuska and Iroquois. Plus Mother Nature gave us a couple inches of freshies to play on too!"
"

ScottySkis

Just giving everyone a little operations update. We will be open tomorrow, Sunday, March 15th with 34 trails and 6 lifts spinning. We be shutting down operations Monday through Thursday, re-opening again on Friday, March 20th.

ScottySkis

Belleayre and the ORDA family are thrilled to be participating in the GogglesForDocs initiative. GogglesForDocs is an effort to get used or new ski goggles into the hands of healthcare workers who currently have no eye protection as they treat COVID-19 patients. All of the goggles that are collected will be donated to local hospitals that are in need of PPE.

If you are a local skier/rider, shop, or manufacturer and have goggles to donate, we have placed a donation box at the entrance to the Belleayre Beach (33 Friendship Manor Road, Pine Hill, NY 12465). For more information, please visit belleayre.com

Whiteface and Gore also doing this
Great idea

ne_skier

I've heard rumours that Lift 7, Belleayre's oldest lift dating back to '86 could be replaced with a HSQ starting from the Discovery base, ending in the same place. Anyone else hear this? I got it from some lifties that also correctly predicted the Lifts 1&2 replacement.

x10003q

I've heard rumours that Lift 7, Belleayre's oldest lift dating back to '86 could be replaced with a HSQ starting from the Discovery base, ending in the same place. Anyone else hear this? I got it from some lifties that also correctly predicted the Lifts 1&2 replacement.

The 7 starts at the Overlook Lodge. It might be overkill to put a HSQ in for a 2700ft length. ORDA will probably replace it with a FGQ and keep the midstation. This would continue to allow Blue skiers to avoid the top and the x-country tour to get to the blue trails at the top.