• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seasonal Rentals in NH - 93 Side

gnardawg

1st off I've been skiing in VT for a long time now mostly Killington/Pico. With a few little kids now the 3 hour+ ride is not that feasible anymore. Also with a growing family we're getting tired of staying in hotels. Next year I want to have a seasonal rental in place for Dec 1 to March 31st off 93 and get the White Mountain Super Pass.

My questions are:
What is the best place to find a reasonable seasonal rental?
Should I go up at the end of this season and find a real estate agent and have them show me places?
When you seasonally rent is the renter responsible for utilities (assuming yes)?
We plan on skiing Cannon/Bretton Woods mostly.
Not a question but we're looking for a condo or house with 2-3 bedrooms.

Thanks for the help!

2Planker

1st off I've been skiing in VT for a long time now mostly Killington/Pico. With a few little kids now the 3 hour+ ride is not that feasible anymore. Also with a growing family we're getting tired of staying in hotels. Next year I want to have a seasonal rental in place for Dec 1 to March 31st off 93 and get the White Mountain Super Pass.

My questions are:
Should I go up at the end of this season and find a real estate agent and have them show me places?
When you seasonally rent is the renter responsible for utilities (assuming yes)?
We plan on skiing Cannon/Bretton Woods mostly.
Not a question but we're looking for a condo or house with 2-3 bedrooms.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure the SuperPass is going to be available next year...???

skiur

Not sure the SuperPass is going to be available next year...???

Cant help you with NH, but as a seasonal renter in VT, I can answer some questions.

The time to go look is in early summer, A lot of people rent the same place every year, and get first shot so if they dont those places normally get on the market by mid june.
Some places may be different, but for utilities we but down a deposit ($1500 for us) which covers the electric and heat, plowing and garbage and at the end of the season we either owe more or get a refund. TV/Internet is on us to set up.

kickstand

If you plan to ski BW and Cannon, check out seasonal rentals in Twin Mountain. It's between the 2 (closer to BW) and it is a small town. You won't have all the restaurants and amenities of a North Conway, but it's better than being in the middle of nowhere.

gnardawg

Thanks appreciate it. We were hoping to find something closer to Plymouth to help ease the pain of the drive with 2 little kids on Friday nights.

SkiMom80

We have 3 kids (11, 9, & 6) and ski primarily at Cannon and BW. We have a place just north of Franconia now, but we did a seasonal rental in Whitefield before we bought something. I agree it makes everything SO much easier having a place you can leave all your stuff at! I found our rental by emailing places on VRBO and AirBNB to see if they were interested in a seasonal rental. There are also a few agencies in Franconia that do seasonal rentals. I'd look in the following towns:
Franconia
North Lincoln
North Woodstock
Sugar Hill
Bethlehem
Twin Mtn/Carroll

As for the drive up on Fridays, we've found it best to eat an early dinner at home, put the kids in their PJ's, head out around 6:30 and let them fall asleep in the car...they transfer to their beds pretty well when we get there around 9.

steve22

Thanks appreciate it. We were hoping to find something closer to Plymouth to help ease the pain of the drive with 2 little kids on Friday nights.

Lincoln. 20 mins from Plymouth. I've owned a condo there for 10+ years. Less than 3 hrs from Providence. There's inventory, variety and experienced realtors for your search. Plus a 24hr grocery store, pharmacy, etc. 10 minutes to Cannon and about 30 to BW or Waterville Valley.

Smellytele

Lincoln would be the expensive choice. Try Rumney. I was going to suggest Littleton or Bethlehem until you said you wanted to cut the Friday travel down. Littleton has grocery stores, maybe a walmart, a hospital and an up and coming downtown (schillings brewery = [emoji1598])

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Dickc

If you are determined to look in the Plymouth area, just remember its a college town so the prices might be high as a result. Consider Ashland (just South) or Campton, (just north).

Boxtop Willie

Speaking as a ski house owner who rents the place out for the season (in VT, but I'm sure things are similar in NH). Seasonal rentals are getting more difficult to find. Airbnb, VRBO, etc. are changing the economics and it is becoming more financially advantageous to rent short term versus seasonally. I have been very successful by listing the house on craigslist. Local realtors will have listings but they charge a fee to the owner (and sometimes double dip by charging the renter too). That listing fee is always added into the price. Expect the owner to include plowing, basic TV, Wifi. Be prepared to pay for utilities, either through a deposit, monthly bill or by putting them into your name.
There seems to be two peak times. March/April when an owner is trying to get someone signed up early, and late summer/Labor Day. I always have the most showings on Labor Day weekend. From a payment standpoint, I get 1/3 when the lease is signed, 1/3 on October 1 and 1/3 on November 1. Secutiry deposit varies based on clientele...number of people, dogs, etc.
Hope this helps.

bizarrefaith

We rent in Franconia. Most of what's said in here is accurate, but figure I'll give my two cents anyway.
Our seasonal rental just got sold so we may be back in the search for next season depending what new owners decide to do.

Realtors, Craigslist, Airbnb/homeway. Pickings are very slim for seasonal rentals -- most places are renewals. This was our first year renting and there were very limited options that weren't very overpriced and/or complete dumps.

End of the season may be too soon. Most places give until late April/early May for renewals.

This varies but typically. Make sure you check out prior year utilities info so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.