• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BEast 1/23/20

reefer

Great day on the hill. Exceeded expectations again. Lot of whale hunting and groomed perfection. Quite impressed with the snow they have made to keep most of the mountain open. $30.00 bucks with the CSC card!

Whales heading down grizzly

Whales on UMass

looking up competition

[SUB][/SUB]

bdfreetuna

Nice. You're getting ripped off though. I'm paying $22.50 with Ride and Ski card lol

I went up Wednesday and Friday this week... just missed you. Wednesday was insanely good groomed conditions, hero snow. Friday pretty good too but slightly more compressed. Those whales on UMass were nice and chalky, like some decent jump turns.

No woods in play, obviously, but Berkshire East has been kicking ass this year... 5 visits so far on my end, next year I'm just going to plan to do half my season there. I can ski Big Chief, Competition and War Dance allll day long.

The Sneak

Great hill and always love to see other discovering it. Can’t wait to get there after a dump this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer

Nice. You're getting ripped off though. I'm paying $22.50 with Ride and Ski card lol

Nice deal! I'm usually more north if I ski a weekday and save the BEast for weekends. Seemed like (and was) a better decision this week. Might be there more weekdays in the future however.

Smellytele

Nice deal! I'm usually more north if I ski a weekday and save the BEast for weekends. Seemed like (and was) a better decision this week. Might be there more weekdays in the future however.

You need to ask “How much did he pay for CSc vs the ride and ski card and how do all discounts compare?” Before judging who is getting ripped off $7.50.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

^
#1 I'm not judging I'm sharing a slightly better deal, if it's not, it's not
#2 he didn't get offended by the "ripped off" casual language, which would be a real stretch of imagination to take that the "wrong way"

Thanks for your valuable input on this topic though

urungus

next year I'm just going to plan to do half my season there. I can ski Big Chief, Competition and War Dance allll day long.

My personal favorites, although rarely open, are Roy’s Way and Jug (including the narrow little part immediately adjacent to the chairlift offload that they inexplicably relabeled as part of Flying Cloud)

And I believe I scored the best deal, as well: Bought an early bird season pass last year and skiied all last spring, then took advantage of their earliest ever opening this season on Nov 16 and skiied there regularly until I broke my arm at the end of December, and when I contacted them about the possibility of a pro-rated refund, they cancelled my pass for the remainder of this year and have issued a full season pass for next year ! So parts of 3 years on a single season pass, all you have to do is break your arm !

bdfreetuna

Full season pass for next year -- so solid. It's that kind of doing the right thing that'll make loyal customers for life.

Roy's Way I haven't skied too much since I think it used to be just part of Mohawk, or if not, I've been a little confused about all the changes to that side of the lower mountain over the years. When I started skiing there it was just Mohawk... I do like that "Chute" run towards the bottom though.

Jug is a classic unfortunately rarely open. Can you believe they changed that from a black diamond to a blue square? It's of course one of the more challenging trails on the mountain due to pitch and narrow, natural conditions. And they turned Mohawk from green to blue. Some things don't quite make sense, but they're doing a lot of things right.

urungus

Yes it was a nice move on their part. Roy’s Way is the trail on the very far right where Mohawk splits in a million directions, the trail to skiers right of Chute. It starts out wide, but then narrows into a steep, often rocky mogul section, then there is a very tight hairpin S turn, then it dumps you back down onto Mohawk.

bdfreetuna

see this here is my old memory...
https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=63

Looks like they shifted it around in 1995-1996 and Roy's Way debuted as a blue square
https://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=77

In the early 90s I skied Berkshire East quite a bit, I guess back then what they called Roy's Way I thought was just the original Mohawk. Maybe it's a new cut but I can't really tell. I do remember that old "Haychute" clearly though, a nice steep little mogul section that you could ski around via Mohawk.

Chute is a pretty good replacement for Haychute though, I guess it's basically just been extended.

Glenn

Nice TR! Raced there in high school. Haven't been back since the 90's. :ifeelold: