• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 1-24-20 Friday

legalskier

With rain in the forecast for today I started my weekend early- arrived to blue bird skies and mild almost spring-like temps with sweet packed powder, a carver's playground. Upper Winisook was the only bumped up trail but the middle was a swath of ice.
IMG_E8608[1].jpg

Upper Yahoo had small wales which were fun for some...
IMG_E8615[1].jpg

...but not for others like these little kids who wanted nothing to do with them & had to be "rescued."
IMG_E8623[1].jpg

There's also a huge berm on skier's left on Algonquin providing some interest. Other than that everything was flat. The tree areas are snow covered as you can see but not enough to put them in play. Riding the gondi I met a Slovenian kid (or was it Slovakian?) & his father who'd flown in for a boarder-cross comp being held today. There's a new X-course area below the Longhouse lodge. I wished him luck, then he left me in his dust.
Meanwhile, up in Area 51 they were setting rails.
IMG_E8619[1].jpg

legalskier

One thing I noticed was the occasional stone that would show up here & there where they shouldn't- on trails that had plenty of cover. Odd that.

One last run down Mohawk...
IMG_E8627[1].jpg
...and called it a day. I'm glad I got out there- it was really refreshing.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Very nice picture s
Legal skier
Sad seems like those kids where taken to that double diamond trail by their some one who should had known not to bring them to very top even more so when mid loathing on this chair lift for so younger 1 can get off and few dozen feet
Huge difference in level of skiing in this area of bell.

legalskier

Very nice picture s
Legal skier
Sad seems like those kids where taken to that double diamond trail by their some one who should had known not to bring them to very top even more so when mid loathing on this chair lift for so younger 1 can get off and few dozen feet
Huge difference in level of skiing in this area of bell.

I hear ya. I don't understand parents who think that if they force their kids to go down a double black, it magically turns them into experts. At least the kids here had better sense.

JimG.

Staff member
I hear ya. I don't understand parents who think that if they force their kids to go down a double black, it magically turns them into experts. At least the kids here had better sense.

Better yet the male leader had his 2 kids remove their skis then he skied down with the skis and then expected them to walk down. I guess? Really not sure what goes through people's minds sometimes.

Patrol did a good job getting there and performing the rescue. I loved skiing the snowmaking whales on Yahoo and hope they leave it alone and let it bump up. Same for Winnisook. But I can't argue when resort managers default to mowing bumps down when you see messes like that.

legalskier

I loved skiing the snowmaking whales on Yahoo and hope they leave it alone and let it bump up. Same for Winnisook. But I can't argue when resort managers default to mowing bumps down when you see messes like that.

I heard a rumor about a new manager, not good for the bumped up terrain of past seasons unfortunately. Hopefully just a rumor.