• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paradise > Goat > Face Chutes

Tonyr

Steins is pretty much a straight steep shot with icy moguls..a bit if a rocky entrance..it aint Goat..

Goat is definitely narrower and if you count the top part is steeper but that part of the run is rarely open. From the middle of Goat down, which is the part of the run mostly ever open, the pitch is the same as it is on Stein's.

kingslug

I did steins new years weekend..its long..ice between the moguls..but it wasnt that interesting compared to lower birdland..or paradise...still fun and a workout..
Runs like this are why i will get an Ikon pass as well next year...between stowe and SB..you can have a hell of a good season..

machski

IMHO, Goat (especially Upper) is the toughest trail of the three you list. Often wind scoured, with that nasty double fall line on Upper, it is a challenge in a good year, this not being one of those. Face chutes have never impressed me so I've always gone up the ladder and off the ridge at Jay. Paradise is fun, can get tough when icy for sure and does demand some technique with the mandatory drops. Castlerock at SB is a blast, love Rumble but isn't super technical. Best part about Castlerock is all the in between stuff. Now that is the real deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

Hey Zand I've never skied Robins Run (looking forward to it though). Looks similar to Rumble which is my favorite "trail" at Sugarbush. Harder though?

Like I would head down Robins Run without thinking twice on a decent snow day but Freefall I'd have to be in the right mood and feeling like I'm having a really "on" day

robins and black hole are narrower than rumble. basically as wide as your skis for most of it. jump turns. mandatory airs that are only that wide.

bdfreetuna

^^
I'm pretty excited for Robins after seeing a YouTube video or two. If it's like a Rumble plus I'm down.

Any fans of Preacher at Bolton Valley? Not as intense or long as what we're discussing here, but a legit techincal narrow trail which I consider in a similar league as Rumble except narrower and about half as long. Doing upper Preacher into Devil's Playground (Vermont style chutes) definitely puts it up there in the rankings.

I just haven't had enough opportunities at Smuggs but I have 3x passes to use there this year. Goals.

Kusty have you skied Freefall? I think that's the most intimidating trail I haven't skied, even above Upper Goat. I'm sure I'll ski them both given the right chance. I don't like slipping on ice and into no fall rock zones though. Like I have a legit fear of glare ice or dust on crust situations when it's that steep, maybe I spend too much time imagining the possible consequences. Stuff on the Ridge at Jay for example was always socked in with snow so less concern of injury in my calculation.

Last edited:

FreeRider

^^
I'm pretty excited for Robins after seeing a YouTube video or two. If it's like a Rumble plus I'm down.

Any fans of Preacher at Bolton Valley? Not as intense or long as what we're discussing here, but a legit techincal narrow trail which I consider in a similar league as Rumble except narrower and about half as long. Doing upper Preacher into Devil's Playground (Vermont style chutes) definitely puts it up there in the rankings.

I just haven't had enough opportunities at Smuggs but I have 3x passes to use there this year. Goals.

Kusty have you skied Freefall? I think that's the most intimidating trail I haven't skied, even above Upper Goat. I'm sure I'll ski them both given the right chance. I don't like slipping on ice and into no fall rock zones though. Like I have a legit fear of glare ice or dust on crust situations when it's that steep, maybe I spend too much time imagining the possible consequences. Stuff on the Ridge at Jay for example was always socked in with snow so less concern of injury in my calculation.

Preacher is my favorite trail anyway in the Northeast. I have not attempted any of the others mentioned.